Type 1 Diabetic: The Struggle

Hello all! My name is Katie. I am 21 years young, 5'3 and some change and I currently weigh, and we'll round up here, 160lbs. My ultimate goal is to get my weight down to 140lbs. I've struggled with my weight and have fought eating disorders for a few years now. I personally have tried all of the diets and weight loss supplements out there and obviously none of them have worked for me. I guess I have a hard time with sticking to things when I don't get an immediate result. Aside from being a busy college student and working part time, I am also a type 1 diabetic of 11 years. I think having this disease makes it harder to not only lose, but to maintain a constant weight. But aside from all of that, I'm just looking to be part of a community that supports and strives to better each other on this journey to a healthier lifestyle.

Replies

• hellobrookie06
    hellobrookie06 Posts: 4 Member
    I'm also a type 1 diabetic, for 20 yrs. I'm sorta new to all this, but I've noticed that it does seem harder to lose weight since I'm insulin dependent. I've really only struggled with my weight for the past year or two, and mainly due to now that I'm actually taking care of myself, go figure! But even when I was younger I noticed that my weight did fluctuate at times and always wondered if it was due to my diabetes or if it was just my eating habits. Are you on a pump or do you take injections? If you're looking for a fellow diabetic to keep you motivated, just let me know! :smile:
  • katiedestro1993
    katiedestro1993 Posts: 5 Member
    I'm a pumper! How about yourself?
  • mfg94
    mfg94 Posts: 6 Member
    Heyy guys, im 20 and i'm type 1 as well and a uni student, just sitting above 140lbs at the moment. I've always wondered whether the fact that i'm diabetic has had a negative effect on being able to lose weight! The annoying thing for me is when i change my diet to try and be really healthy, i inevitably mess up my ratios for carb counting and end up having huge hypos meaning i pile the calories back on! Would love to be involved with motivation, i'm trying to lose about half a stone! :)
  • Hi! I am also a type 1 diabetic, have been for almost 10 years. I'm 20 yo, 5"2, and 153 lbs - very similar to your starting point as of now. I post daily and try to eat as healthy as possible to try to get my sugars under control. It's hard, and can get really discouraging on occasion! I agree with you that it can be a major hindrance in losing and maintaining weight. BUT - the hard times pass and if you keep at it you will hit your stride and find a way to adjust so that you're healthy in all aspects (including a good BG range, and not crashing).

Feel free to add me and message me, maybe we can help motivate each other!
  • Hi I am a type one and have been since I was 3 years old. In my journey I gained a lot of weight when I was in my awkward transition years. It took finding the right doctor, at the age of 13, to find out I was insulin resistant. So no matter how much insulin I took, my sugars stayed way off track. They gave me some medication. Lo and behold this medication actually had a useful side effect of making you not eat. I lost a ton of weight. I went from 150 lbs to 120 lbs in 6 or 8 months. Now I'm 24. I've gained some back (currently 140) due to depression, other stresses and low blood sugars. I find it harder to lose the weight but I do notice changes.
    In my research, insulin in itself makes you hungry. When I'm in ketoacidosis your body actually eats fats and proteins in an effort to fix itself and as a result you can lose weight when that happens. However I wouldn't suggest doing it for that reason. I've been on deaths door twice with it. It's not fun. My point is with this disease it's ten times harder to lose weight. You can't just go" I'm low but i'm on a diet so I can't eat." No you need to eat. Counting carbs and calories does help but I take a more loose approach I go about 1000 over when trying to stay on a 1200 calorie intake so that way if I'm low or starving from insulin I don't feel as if I'm cheating my diet. The key is to at least get some exercise. Walk for and hour, yard work, or do some (light) stair climbing. Just as long as you move. Don't go nuts or you'll just end up low again. It might take you longer but your weight will slowly come down. Hope this helps some of you.
  • eamonhp
    eamonhp Posts: 4 Member
    Hey, I'm not a diabetic but I'm girlfriend is and I see the struggles she has when it comes to losing weight. She doesn't think that there's a point to exercising when is doesn't effect her like "normal people". Hopeful you and the others replying to you can prove her wrong.