Thyroid problems / PCOS need some support + encouragement

Options
Hi,
I have been diagnosed with under active thyroid & PCOS . I have always been a larger girl and find it hard to loose weight and keep it off. I have been a gym junkie until I Platoed I then slowly put all the weight back on plus a extra 10 kgs which I have lost and kept off for a year and a half but struggle to lose any more .ive just recently gotten engaged and a friend booked an engagement shoot that I keep putting off because I hate the way I am. I'm looking for friends who are in the same boat or have been and gotten through this or even just some great motivators . I just want a better lifestyle and to lose weight so in the future I can hopefuly start a beautiful family.
Thanks
Look forward to hearing from you :)
Ashlee

Replies

• kaj0264
    kaj0264 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi Ashlee! I had thyroid cancer and a total thyroidectomy. I complete understand the frustration with weight loss. I have recently been reading about a paleo diet for people with underactive or no thyroid. I have only been doing it for two days, but I am already noticing differences.

Congrats on the engagement!

Let's get through this weight loss together and learn to love ourselves again!

xoxo- Kelly
  • laynunugawa
    laynunugawa Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with Hashimotos or Hypothyroidism in 2007. It took a couple years to be on the right meds and when I finally got it right, it made a huge difference. Having this is so hard because it basically just shuts down your metabolism but there is hope. I have lost weight through diet and exercise. The main thing is to be consistent. I finally got down to the weight I wanted but then fell off the bandwagon and gained some of it back. It really has a lot to do with diet; eating healthy is of course the key. I had to cut back on breads, pasta and rice. My advice is don't worry about how fast others lose their weight or how slow its going, slow and steady wins the race and to remember this is a lifestyle change so its not going to happen overnight. Also I use measurements and how I feel as an indicator of progression. Best of health to you.
  • Juliesdawg
    Options
    I have not figured out how to add friends yet, but I also had my thyroid removed and struggle to lose. Would love add you all as friends and hear about successful eating.
  • NurseCU
    NurseCU Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Hi Ashlee, I have had hypothyroidism for 9 years, and PCOS for 3 years. I am not a doctor, but will tell you what has worked personally for me. I would not suggest cutting out an entire food group during your journey (I have done this and failed numerous times). With that said, I do think the best thing you can do is increase your protein and decrease carb intake. I still eat anything I want, within reason and keep my carbs about 40% or a little less of my diet. I have been consistently loosing weight for the last 5 weeks. It can be done with a good effort on your part. Consistently and accurately log your food (buy a digital kitchen scale, I got mine for $18 at walmart), and don't cheat yourself. The best thing I have found is to practice positive self talk as well. You are a beautiful girl, and tell yourself how much you are worth it! Congrats on the wedding too! Feel free to add me!
  • KerstinK1972
    Options
    Welcome. Congrats on your engagement :-) I dont have a thyroid so I know the struggle but it can be done. I promise. Just slower ;-( good luck
  • courtneyw003
    courtneyw003 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi Ashlee! Congrats on your engagement. I have hypothyroidism as well and have had trouble losing weight. I am getting back onto a workout schedule which I hope will help. I also second Kelly's idea regarding the Paleo diet - it has been helpful for me!

We can do this :)
  • sahead710
    sahead710 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! I haven't been here long only about 2 weeks but I love it! I have pcos too I was diagnosed with it when I was 14 ten years ago. I have been overweight my entire life and for once I would like to see what my life could be like if I wasn't overweight. Being the way I am (50+ lbs overweight) feels kind of like I've been waiting to live, when I should be living my youngest years healthy pretty and happy. I'm 4 months into my journey and haven't lost a significant amount, roughly 6 lbs since I joined MFP and nothing before that, but I'm seriously dedicated and would love to help support others and get support so feel free to add me!
  • jaimieclampitt
    Options
    Please add me. I have an iPhone and can't add people. I have PCOS as well!
  • kristiru
    kristiru Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I also have PCOS, and I am not peddling this product, but sharing that it works for me. www.isagenix.com.
  • ashleemack
    ashleemack Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys, it's great to see so many people willing to support one another I will defiantly have a look at the paleo way of life and the isagenix, I will get on my laptop and add you all as friends, thank you so much for sharing your story's and tips :smile:
  • jodiwalstib
    Options
    I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism in December. We still don't have my Meds quite right but I've implemented meal tracking and exercise to try and start losing the weight. This is the heaviest I've ever been in my life and I DO NOT like it. Hoping for some support from those in the same position as me.
  • bamforth1993
    bamforth1993 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi Ashlee I've had PCOS since the age of 17. I know it's a real pain in all aspects especially losing weight. I'm 22 now and a still over weight losing it is hard I totally understand what your going through. I'm starting out on my own weightloss journey I hope we can support each other. We can do it!!!! Kick PCOS in the butt! !
  • ashleemack
    ashleemack Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Let's do it guys :) thanks for the motivation I was going to have a weigh in day :) im thinking Wednesday's I'm going to hide my scales and only pull them out then :) I have afew questions for the PCOS sufferers I don't mind if you inbox me but how are u treating it ? Diabetes tablets ? The pill ? I work at our local doctors surgery so I HATE seeing our local doctors because I have to work with them all and it's quite personal stuff for people you work with not to mention when I try to start a family my work colleagues will no doubt know when I do because we are the only dr surgery in 70kms and i work 6 days a week ...
  • helenw32
    helenw32 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hey all, I have an under-active thyroid, diagnosed 18 months ago, still trying to find the perfect meds level with Thyroxine. I've gained weight and I'm over 2 stone heavier than my usual. Really struggling to get rid of it. I've just started doing paleo and I easing in slowly. I find the no sugar bit the hardest (I just can't drink that morning coffee without), so I'm using a teaspoon of maple syrup... not sure if this is okay though. I'm really no expert, so any advice would be great.
    Also, I'm worried about my fibre intake; I'm eating kale, spinach, cabbage etc. but still lacking a little bit... any advice?
    Finally (apologies for all the questions), I have an autoimmune problem and wondered if anyone had experienced improvements after changing to paleo?

Thanks! :)
  • ramyasankarapu
    Options
    ashleemack wrote: »
    Hi,
    I have been diagnosed with under active thyroid & PCOS . I have always been a larger girl and find it hard to loose weight and keep it off. I have been a gym junkie until I Platoed I then slowly put all the weight back on plus a extra 10 kgs which I have lost and kept off for a year and a half but struggle to lose any more .ive just recently gotten engaged and a friend booked an engagement shoot that I keep putting off because I hate the way I am. I'm looking for friends who are in the same boat or have been and gotten through this or even just some great motivators . I just want a better lifestyle and to lose weight so in the future I can hopefuly start a beautiful family.
    Thanks
    Look forward to hearing from you :)
    Ashlee