Which activity monitor is best?

Options
I'm looking to get an activity monitor but I don't know which one to get? I was looking at the Garmin or the Fitbit (one of the clip ones) but then I saw the MisFit Shine.

Now I'm just confused. What do people think is the best one and why? What are the pros and cons of the different kinds! Help a newbie out!

Replies

• DebMeltz31
    DebMeltz31 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm interested in finding one too. I would like one that is on my wrist.
  • heyGalina
    Options
    I have the misfit flash. It's pretty basic in comparison to others, but suits my needs just fine. It really does help stay motivated and keep moving.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Now I'm just confused. What do people think is the best one and why? What are the pros and cons of the different kinds!

What do you want to gain from using it?

Essentially for comparisons take a look at dcrainmaker.com.

• NLKatherine
    NLKatherine Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I have the misfit flash. It's pretty basic in comparison to others, but suits my needs just fine. It really does help stay motivated and keep moving.

I'm just about to order the MisFit Shine right now. I like the extra few features is has and I love the metal look.

What do you want to gain from using it?

Essentially for comparisons take a look at dcrainmaker.com.

I want steps, stairs, cycling, sleep - I have a HRM so I'm less concerned about that - I don't have a problem wearing the HRM when I work out, I want something that will also track everything I do during the day that I can wear all day. I also prefer the clip style to the wrist band
  • lorddoit4me
    lorddoit4me Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Does anyone know of the jawbone UP? I saw it for a decent price but then I get caught up with all the others.

I too want steps, stairs, cycling, sleep and whatever you call the thing that lets you know your in the fat burning zone, but tells you when to slow down so you don't experience spontaneous combustion. That wouldn't be good.

• steph_vivo
    steph_vivo Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have the Garmin Vivosmart which I recently brought. It's pretty good and does all the basics like counting steps and tracking sleep. It's waterproof which means you don't have to take it off to swim or shower like some of the others. It also has a pretty cool feature where it lets you know if you have been inactive too long, which is pretty good motivation.

Whatever you end up buying make sure to double check how it syncs and if it will be compatible with your phone. Turns out the Vivosmart isn't compatible with older android phones so I can't use all the features like bluetooth syncing.

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I want steps, stairs, cycling, sleep - I have a HRM so I'm less concerned about that - I don't have a problem wearing the HRM when I work out, I want something that will also track everything I do during the day that I can wear all day. I also prefer the clip style to the wrist band

Thhe cycling becomes difficult to reconcile as that puts you in Forerunner 920XT territory. For cycling you're talking GPS rather than accelerometer functionality.

Possibly the Vivoactive when it's released. The issue you have with both of them will be the wristwatch style.
  • NLKatherine
    NLKatherine Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I purchased the MisFit Shine - so far I like it (I've had it for 2 days) but it seems to track pretty well. It doesn't do stairs, but it does do cycling (you clip it to your shoe) and it can be worn a bunch of ways.
  • Morgaath
    Morgaath Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    Been using the Bodymedia for years, looking at switching to Up3, which is what Jawbones is building using the Bodymedia tech now that they own them.

Has bioimpedance sensors* (resting heart rate and spot checks, respiration rate, galvanic skin response, skin temperature), accelerometer, and ambient temperature.

Good for up to 10 meters in water, so I can finally use something when swimming and kayaking.
    Also seems it learns from you doing stuff, so after a couple of times of you telling it "From this time to this I was doing yoga" it starts to know that type of movement and other info means you are doing yoga.

Yes, it cost more. But then it seems to do a lot more.

*Bioimpedance sensors -- Basically does it the same way they track your physicals in a hospital, just not glued onto you.
  • chamahbau
    chamahbau Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I use the Polar FT7 for workouts. Looking at the Fitbit Flex to wear all day.
  • Lefty1290
    Lefty1290 Posts: 551 Member
    Options

I have this as well and I love it.