Fruit Sugars

Options
As I eat a lot of fruit (oranges, pears, plums, grapes, bananas etc.) my sugar content seems to go through the roof on my diary (even though I am normally at or below my target calories).

My understanding is I don't need to worry about this sugar it is the added sugar in coffee, sweets, biscuits, cakes etc. (all the nice stuff!) that I need to avoid. Correct?

Replies

• pjcfrancis
    pjcfrancis Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I notice the same thing, and it's important to me because I'm pre-diabetic. MFP doesn't discriminate between sugar in a fruit and sugar added to a product. I can have days when the only added sugar I have is one teaspoon in a cup of tea, but my sugar count is high due to eating several pieces of fruit during the day. I'm not an expert, and I don't really know the answer. I think, however, that the harder your body has to work to get the sugar the better. So I've decided to cut down on the big juicy oranges I like and eat a little less fruit (while ensuring I'm still getting enough vitamin C). I try not to drink any fruit juices or eat highly processed foods. I'll see next time my blood glucose is tested if this is doing any good.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    I don't worry about it, unless you have a medical issues, I always go way over!! ;)
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    993444v wrote: »
    As I eat a lot of fruit (oranges, pears, plums, grapes, bananas etc.) my sugar content seems to go through the roof on my diary (even though I am normally at or below my target calories).

My understanding is I don't need to worry about this sugar it is the added sugar in coffee, sweets, biscuits, cakes etc. (all the nice stuff!) that I need to avoid. Correct?

Incorrect, if you're gonna worry about sugar all sources should be considered. Or you should take the approach that unless you have a medical issue, don't stress over it
  • ace314159
    ace314159 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I always treat fruit sugars as 'acceptable' ones as compared to processed or refined sugar. However, I still try to stay within my sugars goal and not go overboard on the fruit. Not all fruits are created equally in terms of sugar either so I try to limit consumption to one serving of a certain type of fruit each day (I.e. One medium apple one banana and an orange in a day as opposed to three bananas). Ultimately if you are trying to make healthier choices, choosing fruit over processed snacks/fillers is a good choice. If you then want to improve further choosing some low sugar vegetables instead of all the fruit would be a good swap. I'm a big fan of baby steps and doing what you can to improve health a little change at a time.
  • hal1964
    hal1964 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I agree. Sugar from all sources need to be considered. Just remember though that fruit has other good stuff in it like all the vitamins and fiber.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    993444v wrote: »

It depends on who you ask. WHO has a daily recommendation of 25g for sugar, no matter the source.

Several people on this site think you should not consider sugar at all, except for total carbs (macros are primary concern). Others think you should avoid added sugars. Others think you should avoid processed sugars.

The American Heart Association recommends that no more than half of your daily discretionary calorie allowance come from added sugars. For most American women, this is no more than 100 calories per day (about 6 teaspoons). For men, it’s no more than 150 calories per day (about 9 teaspoons).

The USDA and HHS recommend sugar, from any source, is limited to 25% of total calories.
  • shamani5
    shamani5 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    The difference between refined (added, processed) sugar and sugar from fruit is the way our body deals with it when it enters our body. Refined sugar is absorbed very quickly causing insulin to spike, this can contribute to, if not cause obesity, diabetes ect. Sugars from fruit break down more slowly in our bodies allowing insulin to rise much less and over a longer period of time. Because sugars from fruit do not spike insulin they do not contribute to weight gain in the same way refined sugar does. However, fruit does have calories so you do have to watch them in that regard.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    shamani5 wrote: »
    The difference between refined (added, processed) sugar and sugar from fruit is the way our body deals with it when it enters our body. Refined sugar is absorbed very quickly causing insulin to spike, this can contribute to, if not cause obesity, diabetes ect. Sugars from fruit break down more slowly in our bodies allowing insulin to rise much less and over a longer period of time. Because sugars from fruit do not spike insulin they do not contribute to weight gain in the same way refined sugar does. However, fruit does have calories so you do have to watch them in that regard.

I don't know why you feel the need to lie like this
  • mxchana
    mxchana Posts: 666 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Sugar from fruit spikes blood sugar as refined sugar does. This is why pre-diabetics and diabetics eat certain fruits that are relatively low in carbs and sugar and avoid others which are higher in carbs & sugar and therefore do indeed cause spikes.