Weight watchers

Options
Has anybody done it? I a have plateaued and looking for motivational avenues since I am having trouble sticking with food logging and proper diet on my own.

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I'll do anything, as long as it is medically sound. I had bariatric surgery this past June, and I have a dietitian and a whole team of experts supporting me along the way. Nevertheless after surgery I felt the need of a live support group and rejoined Weight Watchers. I like MFP better for logging though.
  • maxit
    maxit Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    Go ahead and give WW a try for a couple of months. It's another way to approach portion control which you might find helpful. If "meetings" aren't your thing, the online membership might be great for you. I did WW from the end of Jan to the end of Oct. last year as an online subscriber and got a groove going. I ended the membership and have been doing MFP since with slow but steady progress - probably 5 or so pounds to go at this point, but I have adopted some fitness goals that are really more important to me.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    If you're unable to calorie count, then go ahead and try it.
  • FrownWellington
    FrownWellington Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I lost quite a bit doing the meetings...then I stopped going to the meetings and gained it all back :(
    I moved, and didn't really click with any of the leaders at my new place. I loved my old leader and they gang of people that went to "my" meeting. I think it really helped with accountability. It was also nice to be able to hear other people's stories, and really feel like the things happening to me were happening to other people. I tried with my new location, but never really found a good group again.
    I say give it a try, it may be the jumpstart you need!
  • Cookylela
    Options
    I've lost 30-40 lbs on ww online 2x in the past and kept it off for a few yrs. I found it very helpful but they don't have special program for diabetics so I used a dietician and this app to lose 50 lbs recently. It's now a health issue so I'm using this app to maintain. Plateauing is common with all weight loss. There were times my wt. didnt budge and then i'd drop a few and it happened often as i got closer to my goal wt. Try to stay off the scale and only weigh yourself 1x per wk. I think ww works as long as your committed to it and use their resources and support people even if you do it online.Best of luck to you!!
  • KHaverstick
    KHaverstick Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I've done WW online before, and it did help me--I lost 20lbs. Personally I prefer MFP for a few reasons, but I can see how it might help with motivation. Also, I've found that changing things up can sometimes help get me out of a plateau, so maybe joining WW would be enough of a change to help get you back on track.
  • CObluegrass
    CObluegrass Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I did WW for 4 years and lost 120 pounds. I enjoyed the meetings, although it took me awhile to get used to being open and honest with myself and others about weight and weight loss. Then our center moved to a less convenient location and my favorite leader left for a new career. I just wasn't feeling it with any of the other leaders and I didn't like their canned powerpoint presentations instead of a more fluid conversation on the topic at hand. I wouldn't pay for their online tools personally, find them cumbersome and time consuming. I started coming here to MFP and think the online tools are easier and notice that I'm eating much less...was being a little too generous with my fruits and certain veggies. Although it was easier to track 26 points per day in my head when I knew the points value of almost everything after 4 years. I feel like it was definitely a good first step into awareness and food monitoring but now I can handle more detail.
  • duqtape
    duqtape Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I switched to MFP after WW. I found myself constantly hungry on WW and it was hard to pay to be hungry.
    I'm here now and also use eatthismuch dot com to do meal planning. I plan there and track here. This, so far in the last six weeks, has been the most successful plan I have ever had. Eatthismuch took me a minute to figure out - that is to make it really work for me - but once I got it, I'm on it!
  • MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Personally I think MFP is much better. It's free, and actually teaches you about calorie counting rather than 'point' counting which isn't as sustainable once off WW as labels have calories on them, not points. I also don't like how fruits and vegetables are 'free' on WW. Those have calories too and it's entirely possible to overeat on them. But if you wanna try it, then try it. Some people find that they are motivated by the meetings and by having to pay for it.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    I did ok with WW but I did not like the meetings or the cost. I think MFP has a far superior Journaling system as it shows you all the essential nutrients and vitamins you need per day which WW does not. But if you follow the program faithfully it will work.
  • cloieclo
    cloieclo Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I done the online version of WW and it helped me kick start my weight loss journey. It was great to start with and I liked the structure, but I must say I prefer MFP. I can juggle my calorie intake more when hungry with MFP and felt a little restricted with WW.
  • JSurita2
    JSurita2 Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    I think WW is great! The only thing I don't like is the cost. I used to get a huge discount through my job but they've stopped that so I sadly ended my membership. I'm trying MFP but I like WW much better.
  • Malteaster
    Malteaster Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I have started back at WeightWatchers to give me a boost. I find being weighed by someone else makes me more likely to stick to it. I
  • szkodzt
    szkodzt Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I have done WW in the past and have lost weight with it. I think it is a really good program for those new to dieting and for getting started.

These are the reasons I switched to MFP:

1. My old leader who I loved moved to a new center and it didn't work for me to move with her. I, like some above, just didn't feel a connection with my new leader and group. Too many people blaming their weight problems on others.
    2. MFP is free and has a FAR superior catalog of food. With WW you had to use this complicated formula that you could only do with their calculator or online tools (so you have to pay - can't do it on your own) and the barcode app worked maybe 2% of the time. I have never had a barcode that MFP wasn't able to find.
    3. I felt (and maybe this was just my take, or my center) that there was no emphasis on exercise with WW. I love that the MFP community seems more into fitness and feeling AND looking good instead of what processed treat can I have for the least amount of points?
  • tekkiechikk
    tekkiechikk Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Did WW for about 2 years. Lost 60 pounds then got bored with the meetings (you can only hear the same stories x-number of times before you start resenting them). MFP is pretty much the same as WW online in terms of content, but better- it's free! Also with WW, unless you live in a metropolitan area, you're probably stuck with one center and won't have much choice of leaders, so if you don't like them, you're out of luck. Just MHO.
  • lotus_eater
    lotus_eater Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I did Weight Watchers a few years back and lost my first 20lbs with them. I only did it online. I credit them with really helping me see my portions were way bigger than they should have been.