How do I run - without looking like I am being chased down t

Options
I like the idea of 'going for a run' only every time I try I end up feeling like I am being chased and sprinting off down the road. I cant seem to pace myself at all. I just get faster and faster and can barely reach the end of the road! I feel self concious and ridiculous running and yet I imagine if I got the hang of it I would benefit grately and would eventually learn to enjoy it.

So any advice on how to pace myself so that I am jogging rather then sprinting? Honestly I look like a clown with my non technique!

I am also pretty unfit so I am not going to be able to go far for long at first. I also dont really know where to go exactly. How do I chose a route to take?

Replies

• gatedialer
    gatedialer Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way! I've never been a runner but would love to without feeling like I am having to run for my life or that "where the heck am I running to?" feeling lol
  • Nikstergirl
    Nikstergirl Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    If you have an iPod, I recommend downloading the Podrunner Intervals C25K plan... or other one's called MotionTraxx, they give you a pace to follow. Seriously, just plant your feet on the beat and you get a pace! It's that simple. As far as a route... I use RunKeeper.com. You can plot out your route and follow that (I have an app for that too, uses the gps feature on the iPhone) but even if you don't have the app you can plan it out and know when to turn and such to go however many miles you want to go.

There's lots of sites that can give you help here... pacing can be difficult, but music REALLY helps!!!! Good luck! And keep running!
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Ha ha, I would recommend trying the couch to 5k program which you can google and find online or there's an iphone or android app. It's for interval training. You do intervals of walking and jogging/running and the length of running increases over time and the walking decreases. It's a 9 or 10 week program. Interval training will help you build endurance and initially the program will have you running in really short times, like 60 seconds so you should be able to keep up with that :)
  • Flyntiggr
    Flyntiggr Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    I run to music. This site let's you create playlists based on your pace/cadence. I have yet to try it.

http://jog.fm/
  • ❤B☩❤
    ❤B☩❤ Posts: 634
    Options
    You sound like me! : )
    I was never a runner, but I started the Couch to 5K program on my treadmill. I learned to be a little more graceful all by myself, in the privacy of my own home. THEN I started taking my dog for a walk and every now and then I would run. Before I knew it, I didn't feel self-conscious. Do it at your own convenience, but make it fun for yourself. THE MOT IMPORTANT THINGS ARE GOOD SHOES AND GOOD MUSIC!

Good luck! :drinker:
  • CharityD
    CharityD Posts: 193
    Options
    Practice makes perfect! I used Suz's C25K program from kissmyblackass.org (and yes that's really the name!). It's a hip hop and pop mixture. Just keep it up-you will love it!
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/mrphil86/view/my-running-walking-tips-95469

Also:
    start slow--just above a brisk walking pace
    don't run every day at first--puts you at risk for injuries--try for 3 days a week with a rest day in between your running days
    start small (increments/intervals)
    don't worry about how you look (yes, I know this is difficult, but really, you're better off worrying about your form)
    have fun!
  • MrsSmith2010
    MrsSmith2010 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I love that you asked this question. I find that pacing myself gets me to run longer, even if it isn't faster. I'm not a runner by any means, I used to tell myself I was too heavy to run. Sometimes it hurts, but I push through it.

Anyway, here is a great website. You can put how many minutes you want to run your mile in and it will give you a list of songs that have the beat/pace of your time. 'www.jog.fm' Check it out, it might help!
  • dragonbug300
    dragonbug300 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    You can take advantage of that flat-out sprint.
    Sprint as hard and fast as you can for 1-2 minutes, then slow down to a jog for a recovery period (depending on how intense you want it to be, it could be anywhere from 30 seconds to five minutes; you could even walk during this time). These are called high intensity intervals, and it gets you in better shape faster than slow-paced jogging.

I have one friend who's just gotten back into exercise. He flat-out RAN four miles after just a month of starting to run again. He doesn't just jog--he sprints with no rests. Crazy. He puts me to shame.
  • SassyStef
    SassyStef Posts: 413
    Options
    run for 30 sec and walk for 30 sec till you can comfortable run for 90 and walk for 30. Look up HIIT and see if that can help you. And I would imagine:flowerforyou: you dont look like a clown!
  • floatingcloud
    Options
    That ipod track sounds excellent - just the sort of thing that would help me. Thanks :)
  • aanddplusoanda
    aanddplusoanda Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry but this made me LOL....I am the same exact way...and I even stop when I see a car coming because I look that silly. lol
  • fredlausier
    fredlausier Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Try to find some music with the right pace and keep in step with it. There is a site called podrunner.com that has free music set to a certain tempo that is constant that I like. Other good things to listen to are military running cadences - they are not too fast and are made for running mid-to-long distances. Here are some good ones for free - http://www.marinedevildog.com/mclinks/cadence.htm.

As for your route, the best place is a designated jogging trail that has mile markers, but if there isn't one in your area, you can just run around your neighborhood. If you have an iphone or blackberry, there are several apps that can measure your speed and distance, but if you don't, just drive a route in your car and watch your odometer to see how far it is - shoot for 2 or 3 miles. Wear a watch and record your time. Start by running 1 minute, and walking one minute, and gradually increase it to 2 minutes running, etc. until you're running the whole distance. Even if you can only keep up the running for part of the route, go ahead and complete the route by walking. Keep it up, and you'll be running the whole distance eventually.
  • amm703
    amm703 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    sounds like me, there are already some great ideas online here. must try the iPod program
  • Cortez123
    Cortez123 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I like the idea of 'going for a run' only every time I try I end up feeling like I am being chased and sprinting off down the road. I cant seem to pace myself at all. I just get faster and faster and can barely reach the end of the road! I feel self concious and ridiculous running and yet I imagine if I got the hang of it I would benefit grately and would eventually learn to enjoy it.

So any advice on how to pace myself so that I am jogging rather then sprinting? Honestly I look like a clown with my non technique!

I am also pretty unfit so I am not going to be able to go far for long at first. I also dont really know where to go exactly. How do I chose a route to take?

I just recently joined a running class. I can relate to the awkwardness of being a new runner. If you don't mind, I'll be reading the advice people will post to see if I can possibly learn a few things myself. Good luck to you (and me)...lol :)
  • MyNameIsNotBob
    MyNameIsNotBob Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    It helps me to try to time my pace with my breathing. So, inhale for 3 steps, exhale for 3 steps, etc.
  • Schwiggity
    Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    I had this same problem my first month or two. I felt really slow when I tried to pace myself, and ended up just sprinting off, and exhausting myself. If you like to exercise with music, try something with a steady and consistent beat that you can almost time your heel strikes to.
  • Brandie6004
    Brandie6004 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    bumpin' for laters...
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Look up "good form running", or "chi running" to get an idea of what good running form is. That should help you to keep from worrying how you look.
  • jennmoore3
    jennmoore3 Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    thanks for the tips. I am going to have to re read this stuff when I have more time...