How much protein?

Options
I am a 6'4" 280 lb male.

In addition to cardio, I am doing strength training with a trainer.

How much protein should I've eating to maximize muscle growth minimize muscle loss?

Replies

• bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
  • Athos282
    Athos282 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Can't grow muscle on a calorie deficit, but in order to maintain lean body mass (LBM), the basic recommendation is 1 gram/pound of LBM. So you'll need to know an approximate body fat percentage, multiply (1-BF%) * 280, and that will bet you about where you should be.
  • kaceylou84
    kaceylou84 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    About 0.8 grams per pound of total weight would be a reasonable upper limit. If you know your body fat % (and so know your lean body mass), then 1 gr / pound of LBM is probably a bit more accurate.
  • hardeepmakkar
    Options
    On a calorie Deficit , maxing muscle gains is pretty difficult but you can try maintaining what muscle u have right now .

if you , re looking for a value , try the above listed calculators for sure. But the only way to optimise by first adapting to a particular diet and then making changes. That way u will know what Macro made the change.

• Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    The topic of protein quantity is very much open to interpretation because there are so many recommendations and you'll probably have a different target depending on who you talk to. Generally speaking, if you're involved in resistance training then consume 0.8gm's - 1gm per pound of body weight. Some say per pound of lean body mass, but unless you have a means of getting tested by somebody that is very experienced with calipers or a BOD POD test, you're results will not be accurate anyway. Bioelectric Impedance devices can be very skewed, I would not rely on them. Do not over think this point, just shoot for 0.8 - 1 gram per pound and worry about the more important points of Exercise and Nutrition.