hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    Beans. Avocados I think have a lot as well
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    hesn92 wrote: »
    Beans. Avocados I think have a lot as well

Yep. My half an avocado today apparently had 6.7 grams.
  • mixdnuts
    Options
    raisin bran is good.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    It's a good idea to eat at least 5 servings of fruits and veggies per day, and that will take you about halfway toward getting enough fiber.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    ahamm002 wrote: »
    It's a good idea to eat at least 5 servings of fruits and veggies per day, and that will take you about halfway toward getting enough fiber.

Yep.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Yup, your fruits and veggies. Juicing removes much of the fiber.

http://www.nutritionmd.org/nutrition_tips/nutrition_tips_understand_foods/fiber_types.html
  • cyclone48
    cyclone48 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Also, take a look at the fruits and veggies that you eat and pick the high fiber ones. For example, I eat a 1/2 cup of fruit every day at lunch. A 1/2 cup of grapes is 0 fiber (of course there is some fiber, just not enough to register on MFP) but a 1/2 cup of strawberries is 2 gm fiber and a medium apple is 3 gm fiber. Easy switch.
  • Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    Great suggestions above! Getting enough fibre is something I struggle with also, and my three go-tos are (1) lentils, (2) wheat bran, and (3) avocado.

Lentils especially are my absolute favourite thing in the WORLD, because they have lots of fibre (30g fibre / 100g / 353 cal raw). Some beans, like chickpeas and black beans, have under 20g fibre / 100g. You can easily sneak in some lentils on lots of dishes. For instance, just today I made chickpea hummus to which I added some lentils (1 cup chickpeas, 1/2 cup lentils), which significantly upped the fibre and protein but didn’t change the taste much.

Wheat bran is great to add to yogurt, cereal, or baking. I even use it in casseroles that call for a bread crumb cheesy top (mmm cheese). One cup of the stuff is only 125 cals and 25g fibre. Oat bran is another good option, though less fibre-y.

Finally, just 100 g of avocado (about half of a medium one) has 7g of fibre and 160 cals, so it is a delicious way to get some extra fibre in.

Hope this helps! Getting fibre is easy once you identify some staple fibre-rich foods that you can incorporate in your meals.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »

http://www.nutritionmd.org/nutrition_tips/nutrition_tips_understand_foods/fiber_types.html
    But smoothies retain it.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Emilia777 wrote: »
    Great suggestions above! Getting enough fibre is something I struggle with also, and my three go-tos are (1) lentils, (2) wheat bran, and (3) avocado.

Lentils especially are my absolute favourite thing in the WORLD, because they have lots of fibre (30g fibre / 100g / 353 cal raw). Some beans, like chickpeas and black beans, have under 20g fibre / 100g. You can easily sneak in some lentils on lots of dishes. For instance, just today I made chickpea hummus to which I added some lentils (1 cup chickpeas, 1/2 cup lentils), which significantly upped the fibre and protein but didn’t change the taste much.

Wheat bran is great to add to yogurt, cereal, or baking. I even use it in casseroles that call for a bread crumb cheesy top (mmm cheese). One cup of the stuff is only 125 cals and 25g fibre. Oat bran is another good option, though less fibre-y.

Finally, just 100 g of avocado (about half of a medium one) has 7g of fibre and 160 cals, so it is a delicious way to get some extra fibre in.

Hope this helps! Getting fibre is easy once you identify some staple fibre-rich foods that you can incorporate in your meals.

I agree on lentils. Legumes in general: fiber and a great source of protein!
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    popcorn
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,949 Member
    Options
    popcorn

Popcorn? Hmmm! I'm low on fibre today... and if this is true, then I now have a low cal way of getting some...
  • Emilia777
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »

But smoothies retain it.

Amen to that. I never got into the juicing craze. Though my smoothies often end up too textured (don’t have a super fancy Vitamix blender), I still choke them down like it’s going out of style.
  • Emilia777
    Options
    Oh and before I forget, if you up your fibre, make sure to also drink lots of water, because fibre absorbs liquids. Insufficient water intake can make bowel movements (yes, I went there, sorry) too dry.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    VeryKatie wrote: »
    popcorn

Popcorn? Hmmm! I'm low on fibre today... and if this is true, then I now have a low cal way of getting some...

Popcorn and artificial sweeteners are the only things standing between me and dietary armageddon
  • JulieAnneFIU
    JulieAnneFIU Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Quest bars.
  • KitkatcuteNYC
    KitkatcuteNYC Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    spinach, pears, and most legume/ nuts kinds