Personal Trainer

Options
Hello All -
I just joined a gym that is offering me a free session with a personal trainer. I have never worked with one before and am not sure what to expect. I don't think I'll respond well to someone yelling at me - is that something normal for them?
Anyone care to share their experiences? Good or Bad? Worth the extra money?

Replies

• scaryg53
    scaryg53 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    No, they should be super friendly and non judgmental, I just started with one and I love him!
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    My personal trainer has never yelled at me. Cheered me and pushed me beyond what I'd do on my own, but never once yelled at me or said anything negative.
  • jenny3008
    jenny3008 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    My PT has never yelled at me, encouraged me loudly in a stern but friendly voice when I'm reaching my limits and want to quit because its hard but never yelled at me.

He is also worth every penny I pay him and probably more, he has much more faith in my abilities than me and pushes me to new levels all the time.
  • cyclone48
    cyclone48 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Personal trainers have different styles, and if you decide to go with one long term, you have to find one that has a personality that fits yours. I have worked out with a few different ones at my gym and some are more "Marine Sergeant" and some are much more mellow and encouraging. It depends on what you are looking for. Some people like that drill sergeant style, some don't.