I don't know if I can do this.

Options
I try to watch what I eat, I excercise at least four times a week and I just keep gaining weight. I don't see the point anymore.

Replies

• deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    Options
    If you don't see the point, and don't think you can do it, then you're not going to succeed. You say you "try to watch what you eat"... what does that mean? Are you meticulously logging EVERYTHING that you eat? Are you logging your exercises calories and eating them back? If you REALLY want to lose the weight, then open up your diary and start asking for specific advice. There are some very knowledgeable people on this site who would be willing to give you advice. Otherwise, there's nothing we can do to help you.
  • WW_Jude_V2
    WW_Jude_V2 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Barring any medical issues (have you had a checkup lately?) I wonder if you are underestimating your intake?

When I first started on MFP, everyone strongly suggested purchasing a digital food scale. I did and wow - - what an eye opener! What I thought was a serving was sometimes almost two!

I automatically weigh every single thing before it goes into my mouth now. I took two weeks "off" last summer to see if I could instinctively recognize proper portions and I was a little shocked by how far off I was. I know this, as I gained a full pound!

You're worth making the effort. Hang in there and go through the posts here in the forums and do all the research possible - tweaking it to fit your lifestyle. It works.
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Trying and doing are two different things. It really is more about what you put in your body then what you do with it. Instead of leaping off the high dive and trying to do it all at once....better to ease your way into the pool.

First thing is to become a food journal nazi. Log EVERYTHING. Don't worry necessarily about "being good" at first....just creating the habit of getting used to logging everything and finding out where you're starting from. Then you can assess the damage and make changes that are healthier and, more importantly, things you can live with.

The harder you make it, the less likely you are to follow it.
  • Jasonmylis
    Jasonmylis Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Eating 6 small meals a day helps boost your metabolism. A common mistake with dieting is to skip meals, but when you go for long periods of time without eating it slows your metabolism down. Also, a lot of people focus on cardio for weight loss but strength training is another great way to boost your metabolism. Strength training does not necessarily have to be weight lifting, it can be calisthenics such as push-ups, sit-ups, squats, burpees, etc. I hope this helps :)
  • arsherma
    arsherma Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    This pic speaks a thousand words
    w8rob6vefqxw.jpg
  • olyjok
    olyjok Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Realizing what you are eating is a giant part. This is not just a calorie counting game. There are bad calories. Get to know the foods you eat. Time for a reboot. A simple up pace walk for 20 mins a day can make a difference.
  • Julesbait
    Julesbait Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    arsherma wrote: »
    This pic speaks a thousand words
    w8rob6vefqxw.jpg

I LOVE this!!!
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    Jasonmylis wrote: »
    Eating 6 small meals a day helps boost your metabolism. A common mistake with dieting is to skip meals, but when you go for long periods of time without eating it slows your metabolism down. Also, a lot of people focus on cardio for weight loss but strength training is another great way to boost your metabolism. Strength training does not necessarily have to be weight lifting, it can be calisthenics such as push-ups, sit-ups, squats, burpees, etc. I hope this helps :)

Research recent articles on bold. That is outdated info.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Do you "try" to watch what you eat, or do you actually watch (and weigh, and log) what you eat? Weigh out and measure and strictly log every bite of food that goes into your mouth for a month, and you'll lose weight. Scientifically and mathematically, if you are eating at a deficit, you'll have to.
  • EmmaFitzwilliam
    EmmaFitzwilliam Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Assuming you have no medical issues, here is my take on it.

When you say you "watch what you eat", what exactly do you mean? I'm a lot older than you, so I have the perspective of 30 years of having done it badly.

"Dieting," as the term is popularly used, isn't sustainable.

Restricting calories, exercise, and food choices until a goal is reached with the idea that when that goal is reached, you will return to your normal habits just sets you up to fail.

Having seen friends yo-yo on Atkins and other plans, and having tried a couple of dangerous, calorie restrictive plans, when I decided I was ready to lose weight, I promised myself I would not make any change I was not willing to live with practicing for the rest of my life.

The biggest change? I weigh (almost) everything.
    The second change? I added a lot of produce to my daily intake.
    The third change? I learned to taste my food. This "healthy eating" gig does not suck. Fresh fruit for lunch; fresh berries for dessert - life is actually pretty good. If I'm eating something calorie dense (like ice cream or gelato), I stop, sit down, and savor every bite, without giving my attention to anything else. I choose to have only a half cup of gelato, I'm darned well going to enjoy it!
    The fourth change? I strictly curtailed my breads and grains. They simply don't pack enough "bang" for their calorie "buck". I haven't eliminated them. I have sushi. I go out for a fancy tea (with scones and tea sandwiches) once a month. I eat half or all of the hamburger bun when I go out for a burger. I have pancakes for breakfast at the Cheesecake Factory. If I'm at a restaurant with good bread, I have a slice (or two or three) with dinner. But I don't have them at home, and I don't have them in large quantities, and I don't have them often.

The first step is food logging. Exactly what do you eat, and in what quantities? How many calories is that?

Also, what exercise are you doing? Some of them carry very little impact for the effort.