What keeps you motivated with DVD Exercises

Options
Hello...I have recently purchased jazzercise dvds and find I get too board to easily and shut it off and go do something else....Please tell me all you home workout people how you do it!!!

Replies

• samanthabratton2015
    Options
    I was literally thinking about that today! I'm with you, I get so bored of those videos, it's hard to stay motivated with them. I've learned that I just enjoy jogging in place to my favorite show or a movie. It's not too much but just enough cardio to get your heart racing!

I wear some warm clothes to help me feel the burn, you can always add weights to the routine, like little 2lbs ones, it makes the difference, I heard of the "trash bag" trick were you place a trash bag under your clothes to sweat, I was going to try that today with my workout, I'm sure I will be a sweaty mess, gross.

Motivation is difficult in every area, but your not alone, especially with the boredom of DVDs. Just try something new. What I've learned is the more you force something unenjoyable in your routine, the less likelyhood of you keeping it! You need to find something that's not going to be a habit but a lifestyle!

So if you figure yours out, drop me a message, cause I still am bored with everything!
    Good luck and best wishes :-)
  • scrappermom96
    scrappermom96 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your ideas....I might have to try jogging to my daughter cartoons!!! Well hopefully we can get others to feedback on this and then it will all be a win win situation!! Good Luck to you also
  • andreamaym
    andreamaym Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I'm not familiar with jazzercise, but I strictly do at-home workouts and find Jillian Michaels' programs to be great. I'm currently doing Ripped In 30, but I've also done the 30 Day Shred. As you progress through the levels the workouts change, so it keeps things interesting. The feeling of accomplishment after 30 days, coupled with the fact that the workouts are only 20-30 minutes, keeps me motivated.
  • scrappermom96
    Options
    Thank you andermaym...I will defiantly have to check into Jillian Michaels dvds.
  • Soulfood77
    Soulfood77 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Yeah, it might just depend on what DVD you are doing. I generally find mine at the thrift shop as they are so cheap there. I got an 80s Richard Simmons workout - I couldn't finish it because I was laughing so hard at the thing haha. Oh, the 80s...

My favourite DVDs are from Leslie Sansone. She does walking at home DVDs. I like her because she is so down to earth and positive. I feel like she is my best buddy that I am walking with. She incorporates weights as well so you can get a good overall workout. And you can actually see her sweat so you know she's a normal person and not some intimidating fitness guru.

I do have some Jillian Michaels DVDs. I don't like her as much but they are great workouts. I usually do them a couple times so I know them fairly well. From then on I hit mute so I don't have to listen to her and then crank my own music. Music gets me motivated and I like to sing along so then I don't get bored.
  • Soulfood77
    Soulfood77 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I should probably add that I have a collection of about 15-20 DVDs so I can switch it up whenever I like. Again, thrift store is my secret here as I can buy them for about $1-$3 so it doesn't break my budget.
  • scrappermom96
    Options
    Wonderful idea soulfood77...see this is why I have asked cause this sure opens my eyes to a variety of different ideas.
  • needstobefit15
    needstobefit15 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    What I do is I do a different DVD every day until I find one I enjoy.
  • katmumn
    katmumn Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I have a collection of DVDs too. It helps if I really get sick of one to do a different one, even if just for a day or two. My rule is once I start the video, I have to finish it.

I do the Leslie Sansone ones too. My dogs think it's play time so I get to throw their tennis balls the whole time too so we all get some exercise.
  • MissJay75
    MissJay75 Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    Please don't do any 'trash bag' trick. The only thing it will do is make you sweat more, so you risk dehydration. You don't want to lose water weight, you want to lose fat.
  • Julesbait
    Julesbait Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I have a collection of videos, and I do something different every day. Obviously, I have my favorites that I do more often than others, but never the same thing two days in a row. You just have to find things you enjoy enough to stick with. Do a search for workout videos on Amazon, and you will find TONS of different things.

And yeah, no trash bag tricks.
  • lucylouhunter84
    lucylouhunter84 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I swear by Jillian Michaels too, but she is not for everybody. You just need to find an activity that you enjoy doing and you won't get so bored. Like a couple here, I have a few dvds that I switch between so it keeps my routine changing x
  • lovesretirement
    lovesretirement Posts: 2,661 Member
    Options
    Variety..Sansone, Jessica Smith, Kelly Coffey Mayer or check out collagevideo.com.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    Don't do any trash bag tricks, or warm clothes to feel the burn. The little 2 lb weights are lighter than most women's purses. I wouldn't waste time with those.

DVDs can get very boring, you can check fitnessblender.com they have a lot of different free videos so you can change it up. You can also look at programs like convict conditioning.

I work out at home but have a rack, weights, bike, treadmill and rower...cause I got tired of dvds real quick

• scrappermom96
    Options
    Thank you thank you thank you everybody for your feedback!