Fitbit Charge HR and Exercise and negative adjustment

Options
I have tried searching the forum but am still confused. I just got my fitbit last week and so far love it. Had tried holding out for the UP3 but couldn't wait any longer. Having said that, today is the first day using it while exercising (elliptical) and am confused as to what I do. I'm figuring I don't add anything to MFP because I have it to sync but I find that the calories are underestimated. The elliptical said 362 and the fitbit said 180 but the fitbit was saying my hr was 130 most of the time which I know was wrong, it was closer to 160 (which I know is an issue among users).

So, I guess my questions are:
1) Do I log exercise into MFP if fitbit is synced?
2) Do I select to have the negative adjustment done?

Replies

• dejesus4
    dejesus4 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I just got mine yesterday but this is what I have got. Tonight will be my first time at the gym with it.

My understanding is that you log your activity just be sure to put in the start time and it will make the appropriate adjustment.

Also from what I read you do select to allow negative adjustments.
  • mtgrzz
    mtgrzz Posts: 33 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Ah, interesting. I just did that and it did adjust. I had at first used the stopwatch on the fitbit but like I said it underestimated my heart rate so the calories seemed low. Definitely going to take some tweaking as I use it.

Thanks!
  • jcim1ru
    jcim1ru Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I run into the same situation when I'm comparing what my stationary bike says compared to my Charge HR. I'm seeing the HR monitors on the 2 are almost dead on and yet the calorie burn is notable less in my fitbit than on the bike. I haven't figured it out, but I've been letting my fitbit calories record and figure any difference is just a bonus to me in the loss column.
  • bigswedeman
    bigswedeman Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Dont trust what the bike says at all... Usually they way over estimate. Go by what the HR tells you... that'll be the most accurate.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    mtgrzz wrote: »
    1) Do I log exercise into MFP if fitbit is synced?
    2) Do I select to have the negative adjustment done?

MFP has a Fitbit Users group:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1290-fitbit-users

1.) No need to log step-based activity—Fitbit's tracking it for you. Log non-step exercise (like swimming or biking) either in Fitbit or in MFP—never both. Anything logged in MFP overwrites your Fitbit burn, so I log in Fitbit.

2.) If you disable negative calorie adjustments, you won't eat at a true deficit when you burn fewer calories than your MFP activity level. Enable them: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings

Follow your MFP calorie goal, eating back your adjustments.