Is anyone else counting fat grams and not calories?

Options
13»

Replies

• shellma00
    shellma00 Posts: 1,684 Member
    Options
    I am on a Dr restricted Low Fat Diet, they are monitoring me because I had some stomach issues recently and they are trying to rule out Gall Bladder. I try to stay under 20% a day, which subsequently also means I am eating less calories (approx 200-300 less) in a day because of it, but I am staying between 1300-1600 cals most days. I dont get upset if I go over my 20% as long as I'm still under my calorie goal for the day and its not too much more. Yesterday I just so happened to get to 40% and of course my stomach was bothering me a little bit.
  • ejmartin2001
    ejmartin2001 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Thanks, nuffer, sounds like a good program. Good luck to you!
  • steepedteagirl81
    Options
    I went on a low fat diet last year due to my gallstones and i didn't count calories, i managed to lose 3 stone in that year but because i became stuck at that weight for a couple of months i found my way to MFP to help me lose some more by now looking at the amount of calories i eat. And yes i was eating plenty of Haribo and other foods that may have had a lot of calories in but i still lost the weight. This may not work for everyone but it worked for me.

• steepedteagirl81
    Options
    I have gall stones too any advice beside low fat diet? I'm losing weight fairly quickly but I need to eat a balanced diet
  • ketorach
    ketorach Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I eat a metric *kitten*-ton of fat every day. Seriously, it's probably 65-70% of my diet. So, yeah, I'm tracking fat... as I eat it.

P.S. I'm still losing weight in a caloric deficit.
  • obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    I have gall stones too any advice beside low fat diet? I'm losing weight fairly quickly but I need to eat a balanced diet

Don't eat too many cruciferous vegetables. Some people don't eat any, but I generally have about a serving a day.

My second gallbladder attack occurred after a day in which I ate almost a head of cauliflower by myself, plus some kale.

If you google "gallbladder diet," you will see that pretty much everything but peanut butter is off-limits. But I eat eggs, dairy, broccoli. I like to live life on the edge.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    BarbieAS wrote: »
    As tempting as it is to tell myself I can eat a giant pile of maple sugar candy and still lose weight. . .
    maple_candy_small.jpg
    But then, I think you get the point people are making about calories.
    The reason I chime in is that I also run into problems when I over-restrict on fat--I get to the point that then if I eat even a little, it makes me really sick.

How would one obtain this candy? No, really, do they ship?

I suggest using your favorite search engine to look for maple sugar candy shipping (or free shipping). This is a staple of businesses with "Vermont" in their names.

Wisconsin is a big maple producer too and I know a couple of companies that ship.

When I was a kid, families would come to our town from up north and sell the syrup and candy door to door!

• TinaAJCE
    TinaAJCE Posts: 1 Member
    Options

I have found using MFP and planning meals in advance helps. I too have gallstones and hopefully find out Monday if I can have mine removed