How much weight loss till others notice ???

Options
I've lost 3 stone since September going from 250 + lb - 18.2 at my heaviest after my daughter was born to 14.13 today. Nobody has noticed, my partner knows I've been dieting but sure as hell hasn't commented or complimented. Not even family have said anything & I'm so deflated. Is anyone else feeling like this, or had this happen to them, & if so how much weight loss is necessary to make a visible impact???

Replies

• purplepenguins7
    purplepenguins7 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I think its harder for people who see you all the time. My family seem to notice last, but people I don't see that often will notice a big difference. Don't be discouraged! I honestly get most excited when I have more energy.
  • blossomingbutterfly
    Options
    People started noticing at 30lbs for me. Well, some started pointing it out. My bf noticed after 20lbs. But I kept asking. Maybe they do notice but they don't say anything?
  • Khukhullatus
    Khukhullatus Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I'm 6'4" with a broad frame, and it usually takes twenty pounds before even I notice. Took closer to forty before someone else mentioned it.

Weight loss can be touchy, they might just think you want to keep it a bit private.
  • Sandcastles61
    Sandcastles61 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    I'm a shorty so 5 pounds on me looks like 10 on someone else. My fella noticed at my 10 lb mark, but that was also partly because I surprised him by fitting into a pair of jeans he got me at Christmas that I could barely fasten. They were my motivation to get back on the weight loss wagon. Last week I was able to wear them without all my jiggly fat hanging over the too small waistband :s
  • rosiorama
    rosiorama Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    A dear friend of mine lost a lot of weight, starting out weighing more than you. I didn't say anything even though I noticed early on because I didn't know if it was my imagination or whether she was trying to. I said something after she brought it up.
  • melx123
    melx123 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    It's sorta the same for me, people haven't said much but i know they see it. My aunt told my mom she noticed it, but didn't mention it to me herself. Few months ago my cousin who hasn't seen me in like 3 years told my sister if i lost weight. I think people might just think it's a touchy subject and rather not say anything. Don't get discouraged and keep doing what you're doing!
  • mummyappleseed
    mummyappleseed Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all your thoughts and suggestions. It does seem that there isn't a clear cut answer & that it's different for everyone. I wish it was a case of not noticing seeing me every day purplepenguins7 we could claim that of the mr, but with having a young daughter I've not seen as much of friends & family as I've not wanted to take her out with the type of nasty weather we've had, & I think like wise for people visiting.
    extreamlygrumpycat I'd hit the 30 mark, that's mostly the reason I was disappointed. Sorry work in stones being a Brit but yeah 3 stone is 42 pounds.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    people didnt start to notice until I'd lost 10 % of my body weight, which is pretty common.
  • goofydee30
    goofydee30 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I think the most important part is knowing that your losing it &yes it's wonderful to get complimented on our big marks but many people don't want too offend some of us that are over weight. Because like many have said it's a touchy topic but keep doing you & eventually they'll notice n be stunned!!!
  • pwatol
    pwatol Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Talking about weight can be a touchy subject. Don't feel bad if relatives don't say anything unbidden, they may just be uncomfortable bringing it up (after all, that might suggest that they thought you were too big before you started losing). You could always bring the subject up yourself to break the ice. Something along the lines of, "I feel so much better now that I'm thinking more about what I eat. And I found a great recipe for...." I bet you'll have more than a few folks tell you that you're looking better if they know you're okay talking about it.
  • loveby30
    loveby30 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I would say 10% or even 15% of your body weight and people will notice. When I lost about 40lbs people were very vocal and encouraging about how much I had lost at two times 1) in the middle (around 12% of my body weight lost) and 2) right at my lowest (around 22% of HW lost in total). So 10-15% seems to be the magic jump for people to notice, at least on my frame
  • mummyappleseed
    mummyappleseed Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    AllonsYtotheTardis & loveby30 I hit my 10% mark a long time ago now in the 16 mark. But yes frames are different, maybe mines just rounder.xxx
    Yes pwatol & goofydee30 it could be others are uncomfortable saying something. I tried subtly talking about it I'm using this new cooking spray it's low in fat, it's skimmed milk I hope that's ok.
    Polite refusal of cakes & biscuits, nothing. Having said that my mother once asked if I'd seen my sister, she was in the same room. So not the most observant of people XD