Weigh yourself several time

Options
anyone else find they have to weigh themselves several times to get to the answer?

I find I need about 5-6 weighs to get to a number consistently. Like I change my foot placement slightly, the positioning on the floor. I do this till I get a number 3 times.

Do my scales suck?
I'm not talking a fraction of a kilo. It swings by a few kilo.
1st weigh lost nothing
2nd lost 3kg that week
3rd lost 1kg
4th lost 1.2kg
5th lost 2.2
6th lost 1.1

So I enter that I lost 1.1 since it was the most consistent.

Replies

• Th3Admiral
    Options
    I have a dial scale, and it's awful. Very sensitive to where my weight is distributed when I step on it and often has to be recalibrated when I get off. I just go with my average and lean back on my heels a little because that tends to give the highest result.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    have you tried changing the batteries?
    If that's not the problem, then it looks like you need a new scale.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I sometimes hop on mine and get a "What the??" result, either way high or low, then when I move it, I get the same "normal" result several times in the row. Uusually happens if a foot of the scale is in the groove of a tile, or something's been kicked under it. Generally, it is very consistent. A better quality digital scale will do it a lot less than a cheaper digital or an analogue one.
  • tlblood
    tlblood Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    If it's off by that much, I'd say your scale sucks (sorry, your word, not mine). :) Mine is usually only off by .2 lb.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    It's digital and fairly new. It just seems really sensitive to where my feet are.

Just wondering if this is common or I got a dud.

Maybe I should spray my foot with paint while on the scales so they are in the same place each week.
  • Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Check first that your floor is level. Next, I agree with change the batteries in it... If that doesnt fix it... Take the new batteries out of the old scale and go buy a new scale.
  • 1motorpsycho
    1motorpsycho Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    You should also remember to do it the same time of day. I always do it before breakfast. Yes, I get different answers but not too much off.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I got a digital scale from walmart that was doing stuff like that 2 years ago. I ended up taking it back. Mostly because it would should a loss and then a few seconds later a 5lb gain. Anyway, got a scale from amazon that was cheaper and yet never had any issues like that. The most it will shift is maybe 1/2 lb (unless the batteries are dying) and that I can live with.

edit: I recently replaced it with an Aria, because I'm lazy. However, I still have the 2yr old one because my husband refuses to step on the Aria unless he loses weight. He isn't fond of the fact that it would update his weight on Fitbit & MFP if he gains.
  • Khukhullatus
    Khukhullatus Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Weird, I never have this issue, and my scale is by no means anything special. I think it's the cheapest digital scale that Bed, Bath & Beyond had when I went.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options

I normally weigh myself in the morning, the only way to find a hard surface with less tile grooves would be the kitchen.

Might get awkward, me in my undies while people are making breakfast or leaving for work :D

• meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    I do weigh myself twice in the morning. Once after the toilet and then I hop back on the scale after brushing my teeth. MAY be .2lb of a difference.
    I never move my scale. Can you get a piece of plywood or something to put under it? so as not to freak out housemates in kitchen?
  • Lissa_Kaye
    Lissa_Kaye Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I always weigh in the mornings after the bathroom, seems to work for me.
  • ZebsterBC
    ZebsterBC Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I have a digital scale that takes a few seconds to register the weight, then displays it. I think it's averaging out the fluctuations as I sway slightly. I just go with whatever it displays and don't weigh again to compare.
    I think you need a new scale.
  • imabeevampire
    imabeevampire Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Just out of curiosity is it a salter scale?
    I brought one thinking it was the best thing ever!
    Turns out my house doesn't have a flat enough surface for it to work properly and it's 6lbs out.
    Oh and thinks my 1kg weight weights nothing!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    My old scales were like this - Salter ones, that you rebalance before stepping on - I also used to do it until I got the same reading 3 times

My new ones - also Salter - seem to always give the same reading

Best thing is somewhere flat, hard that you don't move it around (although I move my new ones every morning because they're too big to leave out)
  • snarlingcoyote
    snarlingcoyote Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Get a piece of wood to put under your scale.
  • Kenda2427
    Kenda2427 Posts: 1,592 Member
    Options
    Mine is like that as well, very dependent on foot placement. It has two pads for each foot and if not properly centered on them gives wonky results
  • JessDickman72
    JessDickman72 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I have a digital scale as well and it's new. I too go for 3 consistent numbers but normally takes 4 tries. I just deal with it. When it gets old I'll get a better one.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Nope
  • IamUndrCnstruction
    IamUndrCnstruction Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    I have a digital scale that you have to step on, step off, wait for it to show the C that says it's calibrated then step back on. Freaked me out the first few times as the pre-calibration weight was about 5lbs heavier. Once it calibrates though, it matches my Doctor's office's scale dead on, so I keep it. It was a cheap CVS brand scale.