Help! - noob here need some sound advice.

Options
Ok I'm mid 20s and female...

in my early 20s I suffered from strange weight gain and then weight loss that went on for a while, it ended up being mostly due to Celiac disease (I'm legit allergic to Gluten not on some fad diet)

Anyways long story short about 2 1/2 years ago I went strict Gluten free, quit smoking, and starting doing 5k/10k walks/jogs on the regular basis (2 or 3 times a week) and lost around 30 pounds roughly...in about 4/5 months...

Then I moved countries.... and that summer I took back up smoking (I know bad bad bad)
and have had some binge drinking here and there...I've cut back a lot now...but I also due to work lifestyle ended up eating a lot of quick food and not always healthy...

it's resulted in me becoming my now weight (cringe) 189lbs (MIND YOU I am 6 foot tall)
so I've put on that thirty pounds....

I'm still eating gluten free I get really sick if I eat anything with gluten ... what should I do... how should I be eating (I feel like I don't eat correctly when it comes to nutrients and fiber daily etc)

also what is the best workout for losing belly fat (I bloat a lot too, so want to minimize all actual belly fat so when I do bloat from digestive issue's it doesnt look AS BAD as it does currently) and my thighs! my poor things are getting oversized. help!

Replies

• itsclobberintime
    itsclobberintime Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I do not know very much about gluten free dieting, so I will let another field that question.

Unfortunately you cannot target a specific body area for fat loss, it is burned evenly for the most part. So as you lose weight, some will come from your belly. I would recommend doing some sort of strength training, of which there are several methods, but ultimately you will need to find one that you enjoy and can stick with.
  • flabassmcgee
    flabassmcgee Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    Eat in a calorie deficit and you will lose weight. Nothing more, nothing less.
  • triciab79
    triciab79 Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    Sadly belly fat can only be dieted off. You can do some general core exercises to make it a bit more tone as the fat is burned off though.
  • JossFit
    JossFit Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Use this link to calculate your dietary needs; http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/

Once you have that sorted out, just fill up your meal plan with gluten free foods... its not difficult to do! Get your carbs from rice, quinoa, sweet potato, potatoes, veggies, and fruit.

As far as losing fat from specific areas, like the others mentioned, it's not your choice where fat comes off from, it will come off as it pleases.

I tell my clients all the time that you cannot spot reduce areas, and that all-over fat loss is necessary, HOWEVER, adding muscle mass can fill out areas like the butt and thighs and will help to burn more fat as a result.
  • htyler77
    htyler77 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I also had weight loss and then weight gain that seemed like I couldn't control. I wanted to just eat and be chill but I always felt sick and just too heavy. This app helped me to keep my eye on what I was eating (protein, fat, carbs). On the app, at least, there is a little pie chart to show what you might be missing that day. In terms of exercise, zumba is my thing that I always do even if I don't feel like exercising.
    Before I started counting calories, I had to be in a place where I didn't beat myself up about it. It began as a curiosity about my nutrition, but I have lost nearly 20 pounds in the last 6 months and I feel so much better than I did.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    There are some gluten free and Celiac's groups here; check the groups section and maybe join for support.

Like others have said, you can't spot reduce. You can lose the pounds, but genetics will determine where they come off from first.

You'll lose weight by eating fewer calories than you burn each day. It doesn't matter whether those calories have gluten in them or not -- so in your case obviously they'll need to not have any. But mostly, weight loss isn't about what you eat, it's about how much.

Count your calories, eat at a deficit, get some moderate exercise in (especially strength training if you want to tone up), and you'll be fine.

Oh, and as for the smoking, I'd always encourage people to quit if they are ready to do so. The fact that you're smoking again is probably unrelated to your weight gain, though -- if anything, many people put on weight when they quit smoking.