Atkins Diet

Options
Has anyone tried the Atkins Diet? How did it work for you?

Replies

• 1nieshac
    Options
    I'm on the Atkins and I've lost 55 lbs. Trying to get back on track from the holidays.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Fad diets never work long term. Count your calories and consume less than you burn. That will work for the rest of your life.
  • fish2find
    fish2find Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I had a very hard time on the adkins diet. I got to a point I felt like it was all grease I was eating and became repulsed by the food I could eat.
    Im doing simple calorie reduction and minimal 2 miles walking daily and its actually working for me. 1st time in my life a diet has worked and its just basic intake regulation with exercise.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    fish2find wrote: »
    I had a very hard time on the adkins diet. I got to a point I felt like it was all grease I was eating and became repulsed by the food I could eat.
    Im doing simple calorie reduction and minimal 2 miles walking daily and its actually working for me. 1st time in my life a diet has worked and its just basic intake regulation with exercise.

Hey congrats on finding what works!
    A question: did you eat all the vegetables that were recommended?
    I'm not low carb either, but if I did atkins etc. I would be eating ALL my recommended vegetables. I don't think it's meant to be a "grease" diet if you know what I mean.
  • fish2find
    fish2find Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    fish2find wrote: »

Hey congrats on finding what works!
    A question: did you eat all the vegetables that were recommended?
    I'm not low carb either, but if I did atkins etc. I would be eating ALL my recommended vegetables. I don't think it's meant to be a "grease" diet if you know what I mean.

I should have included that it was 2004 or so. Id say we did follow, I remember kind of making it my wife's burden to research for us and I followed her instruction (kicking and screaming). I do remember whining "Im a happy fat man" at one point and ending that diet.

• RinnyLush
    RinnyLush Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I lost my first 20 lbs on Atkins, and then switched to calorie counting on MFP. I continued to lose, so I concluded that either method could work for me. However...

One day, out of curiosity, I went back and read my Atkins food journal. Since I was only (at the time) focused on net carbs, I didn't have any calorie counts added up. I calculated them to see how much I was actually eating and, lo and behold, I was "accidentally" eating the same amount of calories that I do now. This lead me to conclude that it wasn't actually the carb control that was causing me to lose weight, but overall portion control.

I stick to MFP because it is more sustainable for me, encourages long term habits like portion control, and allows me some flexibility while still achieving my goals. I also suspect that most "diet" plans are based in pseudoscience anyway, so I approach such claims with caution. But that's just me.

• JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    sinistras wrote: »
    ...Dr. Atkins died of heart disease/heart attack from following his "diet."
    Might lose weight but the damage long term to your body is a steep price to pay...

Repeating a lie doesn't make it true
  • eatingforspawn
    eatingforspawn Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I did Atkins about 15 years ago when I was young and in high school. I cheated about once a week but besides that was pretty strict and I did lose about 30 pounds in about 9 months. I loved it and became an Atkins advocate.

Recently I tried to do it again, and my experience was totally different. I was fine for the first weeks or so. Got through the sugar withdrawal without a problem. I mean, I FELT withdrawal, but I was ok with it. I knew what was happening and embraced it. I thought I was good to go after that, however, as the weeks went by, I got more and more hungry. I did not cheat at all and by 9 weeks in, I was so constantly STARVING I felt like I was actually starving myself to death like an anorexic. I could not eat enough to calm the starvation I felt I was experiencing. I ate well over my calorie need but it did nothing for the sensation. I put up with that feeling of utter starvation for almost two weeks, hoping that at some point it would let up. No chance. I HAD to eat carbs. I felt like it was getting dangerous at that point. I was eating vegetable too, btw. I lost about 7 pounds this time. Not worth it.
  • mielepiel
    mielepiel Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I'm following a low carb diet and it works really well for me. Lost 4.5 kg (10lbs?) in 3 weeks so far. The great thing for me is that the restriction of carbs (not totally banning them, but I stay around 30grams a day) is that I experience almost no hunger. When I restrict my calories like on a regular diet, im constantly hungry and constantly craving food and sweets. Worst of all.. I tend to think about food 24/7. I got no cravings or obsessive food thought on this diet.

The thing with a low carb diet is that your body switches from a glucose burning machine to a fat burning machine, which means the primary fuel for your body is fat. Thats why the first few days you could feel crappy bescause of the switch and it also means you have to eat fats (and proteins) to fuel your body. And drink loads of water and a salty bouillon every day to keep yourself hydrated and your sodium level normal. Usually, because your hunger is suppressed, uou have no trouble eating less calories. It can be a pain however, on birthdays or whatever.

Anyway, this is my personal experience... There is no such thing as a diet that works the same for every single individual. Maybe I should also mention that I get really tired from eating fast carbs (like sugar, white rice, pasta, bread), and my mind gets kinda foggy (so maybe I cant handle insulin peeks very well, and maybe its a factor why it works for me).

Anyhow, the way to find out if its a thing for you is to just try it for a couple of weeks (at least 2 or 3).

Btw. Should you want to read more about low carb I reccomend 'the art and science of low carb living' (or something like that) and 'the ketogenic diet'. I forgot who the auteurs are (shame on me). It made me understand the ins and outs better :)
    (i'm not trying to promote either book, you can also just google, and try to find some quality articles).
  • chereedoggett
    chereedoggett Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice
  • shraniken
    shraniken Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Atkin's was the first diet I ever tried and it worked pretty well, but I found that I couldn't maintain it long term. I think it's important to ask yourself before starting any diet is if the food you'll be eating is something you can see yourself eating for the rest of your life.

Low carb diets are far too restrictive for me with too many rules. But it has it's perks as well, all that bacon :3

• Rays_Wife
    Rays_Wife Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    I wasted years yo-yoing on Atkins and it sucked the joy right out of eating. Found MFP, realized I didn't have to cut food groups to lose weight and bam lost 64 pounds eating whatever I wanted. Don't waste your time on this fad.
  • ar9179
    ar9179 Posts: 374 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    A lot of people who've tried Atkins, and didn't stick with it, didn't go up the food rungs as instructed in the literature. You CAN stay in Induction for a longer period, but the actual plan encourages most of the weight to be lost while gradually upping carbs (from many sources) until you find your threshold. You eat a ton of veggies throughout the plan.
    It's not meat heavy, either. Another misconception. The Atkins site is free, I believe, and you can see the lists of foods for the rungs. Low carb doesn't have to mean little to no carb. It's up to the individual to find what works for them.

As pointed out, it lends itself to lower calorie eating. I would track, anyway.

I did lose on it, but am very weak with binge issues. I'm currently following a similar plan except I'm concentrating on fat and protein for satiety and fueling muscles and carbs make up the rest. I'm also making an effort to have a varied diet. I got bored when I was too lazy to keep meals interesting.
  • chereedoggett
    chereedoggett Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I don't know; there are to many mixed reviews. I think I am going to keep trying just exercising and making smart and healthy food choices. Thanks for all the advice.
  • peter56765
    peter56765 Posts: 352 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Atkins is an "eat until you feel satisfied" type of diet. The catch of course is you must stay under your carb limit. Practically, that means a lot of foods - most foods in fact - end up on the forbidden list. The trick to its success is that your food cravings will go away since it turns out these cravings are tied to moderate to high carb foods that you won't be eating.

I did it for about a year and a half. It works but monotony and in some cases outright revulsion started to set in. I swear I was going to puke if I ate one more friggin' egg. In the end I just didn't want to live the rest of my life under such severe dietary restrictions. MFP has taught me about logging and weighing and portion control. I've had longer success with this than with Atkins. There are days I go over and, yes, it's usually high carb foods that do it but I can compensate for that by simply staying under later in the week. No severe induction phase punishments or the like when I'm over.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Atkins Diet works. Has for me since the 80's. I've only used it as a temporary diet over the years -- 3 to 6 mos per effort, in earnest -- in order to drop 20-30+ lbs each time. Yes, I've fallen off the wagon ultimately each time, and floundered and gotten back on the wagon... the ole yo-yo maneuver. But I don't blame the diet. It's me. I accept that. However, fact is, if combined with regular exercise, Atkins works wonders in short order. Once wonders have been wrought, it's good to stay on a modified version of the diet... or any normalized diet that de-emphasizes high carbs, and instead balances with good general nutrition, and keeps exercise alive. Don't let anyone tell you Atkins doesn't work. They have an agenda or are bone heads or are looking through their own narrow prism and think that what they've learned is what is right for everyone else. Try it yourself, like most things in life.

(Since we bumped a 3-year old thread just to preach the miracles of keto....)

It works.

...just as well as any other diet works, with calories held equal.

There is no "metabolic advantage" to a ketogenic diet over any other macro distribution.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Atkins Diet works. Has for me since the 80's. I've only used it as a temporary diet over the years -- 3 to 6 mos per effort, in earnest -- in order to drop 20-30+ lbs each time. Yes, I've fallen off the wagon ultimately each time, and floundered and gotten back on the wagon... the ole yo-yo maneuver. But I don't blame the diet. It's me. I accept that. However, fact is, if combined with regular exercise, Atkins works wonders in short order. Once wonders have been wrought, it's good to stay on a modified version of the diet... or any normalized diet that de-emphasizes high carbs, and instead balances with good general nutrition, and keeps exercise alive. Don't let anyone tell you Atkins doesn't work. They have an agenda or are bone heads or are looking through their own narrow prism and think that what they've learned is what is right for everyone else. Try it yourself, like most things in life.

So it doesn't actually work for you long term. How much damage are you doing to your body by constantly gaining and losing???