Cheat Days

Options
So yay or nay on the cheat days? Will they provide an outlet to maintain a balance and not feel slave to your diet? Or is it a gateway to falling back into old habits? I really would like to enjoy a cheat day today ... Opinions ??????

Replies

• LoveLiveLife27
    Options
    once you have enough control to go back to your healthy eating after your cheat day then yay but until then nay. I came up with a plan of once a month on the 1st and I only have a cheat meal that day not a full cheat day. Still log your cheat day also.
  • lapoba1
    Options
    once you have enough control to go back to your healthy eating after your cheat day then yay but until then nay. I came up with a plan of once a month on the 1st and I only have a cheat meal that day not a full cheat day. Still log your cheat day also.

I totally agree. I think you're right. Plus I honestly noticed I'm not so much craving the food but just wanting it because it comforts me. It's like part of my routine. Late at night, sit in bed and watch a few of my fav shows with some junk. Ok but what do you do at a party? Bring your own food? How do you eat well then?
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    I personally don't like the concept of "cheat days". It implies you're doing something bad.
    Another thing you want to watch out for is messing up your weekly deficit. If you have your loss set to 1lb/week (assuming that since you have 20lb to go, and usually you should lose at a rate of .5lb-1lb a week at that range), you have a 3,500 deficit built up over the week based on the calories MFP sets for you.

If you stay on track all week eating your calorie goal, and then on a "cheat" day, consume 3,000 calories, you are only left with a 500 calorie deficit for the week. If that was a consistent thing, you've only created a 2,000 deficit for the entire month, which is a little over 1/2 of a pound lost a month. That is with no exercise factored in.

I've found that fitting in the foods I want when I want them is the way to go. I also do extra workouts to get a bigger deficit for big events (like my birthday last year; I had an extra 1,000 calories on top of my normal daily intake to splurge on food and drinks). I've also learned to make items I love at home, which saves on calories. I'm a big fan of homemade orange chicken and pita pizzas; I fulfill a Chinese food or pizza craving, and get to eat a lot more (and spend less) than if I went out and ordered each item at a restaurant.

Making those items at home, and fitting in those items you just can't live without will help retain your sanity during this process, and also teach you moderation. That's my philosophy, at least!
  • aquinoz
    aquinoz Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    cheat days can set u back a lot, i'd rather stick to carb refeeds and do flexible dieting. it's all about calories in vs calories out.
  • DEJAnoVU
    DEJAnoVU Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I think "cheat days" can hinder your progress if you binge BUT they can also make your new eating habits seem like less of a chore.....Just depends on your self control.

I personally prefer to eat what I want any day that I want but only as long as it fits my calorie goal for the day. I find eating less restrictive 1)keeps cravings at bay 2) lowers my chance of binging when I finally eat something I like.
    Good luck :smile:
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,624 Member
    Options
    I personally don't like the concept of "cheat days". It implies you're doing something bad.
    Another thing you want to watch out for is messing up your weekly deficit. If you have your loss set to 1lb/week (assuming that since you have 20lb to go, and usually you should lose at a rate of .5lb-1lb a week at that range), you have a 3,500 deficit built up over the week based on the calories MFP sets for you.

If you stay on track all week eating your calorie goal, and then on a "cheat" day, consume 3,000 calories, you are only left with a 500 calorie deficit for the week. If that was a consistent thing, you've only created a 2,000 deficit for the entire month, which is a little over 1/2 of a pound lost a month. That is with no exercise factored in.

I've found that fitting in the foods I want when I want them is the way to go. I also do extra workouts to get a bigger deficit for big events (like my birthday last year; I had an extra 1,000 calories on top of my normal daily intake to splurge on food and drinks). I've also learned to make items I love at home, which saves on calories. I'm a big fan of homemade orange chicken and pita pizzas; I fulfill a Chinese food or pizza craving, and get to eat a lot more (and spend less) than if I went out and ordered each item at a restaurant.

Making those items at home, and fitting in those items you just can't live without will help retain your sanity during this process, and also teach you moderation. That's my philosophy, at least!

This.

Although I don't do NEAT method though so I've not really done the extra exercise to save up some calories, but it is something I'd do if I knew ahead of time that I really wanted to get in some extra food - throw in an extra cardio session or two and log the exercise calories on my day out, save 100 cals each day until the event, then eaaaat.
  • lapoba1
    Options

That is a very good plan!!!! I enjoy cooking at home and since becoming more serious about losing weight I've decided not to eat any fast food, which isn't too hard for me since I'm not a big fan of it. Thank you so much for the helpful tips!
  • lapoba1
    Options
    aquinoz wrote: »
    cheat days can set u back a lot, i'd rather stick to carb refeeds and do flexible dieting. it's all about calories in vs calories out.

Absolutely! Agreed! I think I can have much more flexibility once I become more active. Today will be day one of becoming active so that should allow me to be more flexible.
  • lapoba1
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »

This.

Although I don't do NEAT method though so I've not really done the extra exercise to save up some calories, but it is something I'd do if I knew ahead of time that I really wanted to get in some extra food - throw in an extra cardio session or two and log the exercise calories on my day out, save 100 cals each day until the event, then eaaaat.

Yea I totally agree with @missiontofitness‌ as well!
  • JossFit
    JossFit Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    lapoba1 wrote: »
    So yay or nay on the cheat days? Will they provide an outlet to maintain a balance and not feel slave to your diet? Or is it a gateway to falling back into old habits? I really would like to enjoy a cheat day today ... Opinions ??????

I feel that the best approach (for my clients) is to incorporate the foods you want into your diet when you want them, rather than on a specific 'cheat day'.

Telling yourself that certain foods are bad and must be eaten on a specific day only reinforces the idea that foods are good, bad, clean or dirty, which simply isn't true.

If you get a craving for nachos, make some healthier nachos or indulge in a bit of your favorite WHEN you want them. Just make sure not to continue overeating and watch the treats for a few days afterward.

In my experience designating 'cheat days' results in a lot of seriously disordered eating patterns, guilt over eating, and a lessened enjoyment of food. Ultimately those things also lead to an "on or off" diet mindset, and yo-yo weight losses and gains.

• kissa714
    kissa714 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    When i was in school and eating healthy on the weekdays, the weekends (friday and saturday) would be my cheat days. I still lost weight. I also never really restricted myself. if youre craving something, eat it. just dont over do it.
  • kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    Integrate the foods you feel are "cheat" foods into your everyday and you won't need to cheat. Or eat less on Monday through Thursday than your calorie goal, then F-Sun you have a few extra calories to play with.

Log it all, good or bad. If you don't you won't know what you need to tweek later.
  • norcalgirl21
    norcalgirl21 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    As others have said, I don't like the term "cheat day". On the other hand, I also know what you mean about wanting a little freedom from your calorie counting.
    I started seriously using MyFitnessPal right before Thanksgiving. I come from a family that enjoys great food and I didn't want to feel deprived during the holidays. So I made sure to eat as healthy as possible the days before and after the holiday. The day of the celebration I would take a big long walk with my husband and our dogs to get some extra calorie wiggle room and then when meal time came I would go for the green salad first and fill about half my plate, then I would get little tasting size portions of all the other dishes and go back for a little more if there was one or two I really loved. I didn't count my calories for those meals. I guess you could say I'm a social-eater. :p
    I lost 7 pounds between Thanksgiving and January 7th with about 5 holiday celebrations in between. That experience has shown me that I can still lose weight without being painstakingly meticulous about counting calories. Also, one thing I love about MyFitnessPal is that frankly you can do/eat whatever you want. It's between you and your food journal. If you want to "cheat" or maybe not be as accurate with your calorie counting as you could be the only person it will be affecting is you. You will help or hinder your own progress.
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    I have one day a week where I let myself have a treat. Like chips or nachos and cheese that i've been wanting. I might order sushi or have a chocolate bar, etc. It works for me.
  • monicarungood
    monicarungood Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I do not care for cheat days, just personally, because I have found that it's easier for me to get into and stay into the habit if I just keep at it consistently instead of disrupting it to have a free-for-all day.
  • Texalese
    Texalese Posts: 26 Member
    Options

Right on!
  • lapoba1
    Options
    kissa714 wrote: »
    When i was in school and eating healthy on the weekdays, the weekends (friday and saturday) would be my cheat days. I still lost weight. I also never really restricted myself. if youre craving something, eat it. just dont over do it.

I think that's a good concept. For me though I'm not sure that would work. Once I get a taste of a del taco 1/2 pounder nothing else will taste as appealing lol. But I have decided to let myself have one day, which is today. Pizza is in the oven. Lol
  • lapoba1
    Options
    Integrate the foods you feel are "cheat" foods into your everyday and you won't need to cheat. Or eat less on Monday through Thursday than your calorie goal, then F-Sun you have a few extra calories to play with.

Log it all, good or bad. If you don't you won't know what you need to tweek later.

You're right. I log all my calories, good or bad. It allows me to hold myself accountable for what I put in my mouth and as you pointed out helps you pinpoint where you're going wrong.
  • lapoba1
    Options
    As others have said, I don't like the term "cheat day". On the other hand, I also know what you mean about wanting a little freedom from your calorie counting.
    I started seriously using MyFitnessPal right before Thanksgiving. I come from a family that enjoys great food and I didn't want to feel deprived during the holidays. So I made sure to eat as healthy as possible the days before and after the holiday. The day of the celebration I would take a big long walk with my husband and our dogs to get some extra calorie wiggle room and then when meal time came I would go for the green salad first and fill about half my plate, then I would get little tasting size portions of all the other dishes and go back for a little more if there was one or two I really loved. I didn't count my calories for those meals. I guess you could say I'm a social-eater. :p
    I lost 7 pounds between Thanksgiving and January 7th with about 5 holiday celebrations in between. That experience has shown me that I can still lose weight without being painstakingly meticulous about counting calories. Also, one thing I love about MyFitnessPal is that frankly you can do/eat whatever you want. It's between you and your food journal. If you want to "cheat" or maybe not be as accurate with your calorie counting as you could be the only person it will be affecting is you. You will help or hinder your own progress.

Congrats on your weight loss!!! And I am definitely a social eater. I'm the person when you come to my house there is always food or I'm always willing to cook. I'm like a home chef. And I just love love food!
  • lapoba1
    Options
    MissAnjy wrote: »
    I have one day a week where I let myself have a treat. Like chips or nachos and cheese that i've been wanting. I might order sushi or have a chocolate bar, etc. It works for me.

Interesting you included sushi in a treat meal. I've recently come to realize that sushi isn't as low in calories as I once suspected. Lol. And I love sushi!! :neutral_face: ... And wine...