Snacking...

Options
I have a problem! I snack, I cannot seem to stop myself, and I realize that this is a psychological thing but does anyone know a way that can help me stop snacking! I usually do well on a diet until about 8pm and then fridge hunting begins. My family call it "grazing" I call it my doom...:devil:

Replies

• xxx29
    xxx29 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Just load the fridge with celery and hummus. (Cheap answer. Good for what you paid for it!)
  • dhammond5
    dhammond5 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I like to keep low fat snacks in the house, that wont ruin my diet. I just can't do the don't eat after a certain time. I also drink lots of water. My favorite snacks are laughing cow, and 100 calorie popcorn bags. I've noticed that if the snacks have a limit, like a small bag of popcorn, I quit when it runs out. My diet style has been all about making it accessible to my everyday life and making it so I wont pick up a donut and break my diet. Hope this helps
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I find afternoons hardest but I'm finding it easier as time goes by.
    My strategy is to plan in snacks so that when I want to graze I have a healthy option available and already logged. I'm finding that often I don't get through all my snacks and am satisfied with less now.
    I also plan ahead by time if I need to - so I'll look at the clock and decide that in 15 mins I will eat my almonds then nothing else for an hour. By allowing snacks I don't feel deprived but knowing that they are accounted for means they don't take me over my cals.
    Good luck!
  • helloiloveukitty
    helloiloveukitty Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I have this problem too. It sucks because if you have a home, you have a kitchen to graze in....can't really help that. lol

Some things that help me: Snacking on fresh fruit or protein bar, drinking tons of water, drinking tea, looking at fat pictures of myself, taking a long bath (seeing myself naked makes me want to keep things moving in the right non grazing direction), playing games on my phone, just going to bed, sucking on a hard candy, posting on mfp that I am tempted and need a little support...
  • Johnnyswife
    Johnnyswife Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options
    I am the same way..I can't even keep low fat, low cal snacks, cause I'll eat more than one. Trying to take it day by day and baby steps.
    I hope you find something that helps you and if you do, please let me know! :)
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I love to snack, so I let myself. I TRY and make sure I'm snacking on healthy stuff like string cheese, fruit, cottage cheese, etc. But, occasionally I have a craving for some licorice or something -- so, I eat a serving size of it and move on. :)
  • lady95
    lady95 Posts: 46
    Options
    I like to keep pre-portioned snacks (like small ice cream or cookies) and I'll "pack" my food for the day, or I'll keep only a day's serving within reach. Drinking water helps me feel full too, and having fruits within arm's reach (litterally) so I have something healthy.
    Otherwise, if you mess up, don't kick yourself too much. It's not just a diet your on, it's a re-education of how you want to change eating habits.
    Sometimes, it's as simple as getting up and walking out of the room where the food is that is tempting you.
    If there's some chocolate you want to eat, either put it, or yourself, in another room.