I went to the Gym!!!

Options
PMLeigh
PMLeigh Posts: 30 Member
Tonight I completed my first one hour visit to the Gym and feel great.

I have dropped from 126kgs to 118.6kgs and am very proud of me :smiley:

I had a trainer, complements of the Australian Government (make sure you all take advantage of the GP referrals here in Australia if you are overweight) Some of the Anytime Fitness Centres have Sports Physiologist who can organise programs for you (8 visits for free) the Campbelltown Gym and the Mascot Gym both do and you get a discount on the monthly membership (which you don't have to have)

Walking has got me this far, but I actually liked this gym, felt very comfortable and not self-conscious at all.

We can do it!!

Replies

• nikkilclark666
    Options
    Well done - how did you get the free pt? I am in OZ and havent heard about it
  • mrsjatty
    mrsjatty Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I'd like to know more too? I've never heard of it either. We are about the same weight
  • time2change1111
    time2change1111 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I've never heard about this, I'd be interested in hearing more
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Awesome job!
  • alternatepseudonym
    Options
    I'm a medical receptionist in Oz so I have to answer questions about this fairly regularly. She'll be referring to a Team Care Arrangement or General Practitioner Management Plan. This is a type of referral done at your GP's that allow people with chronic health conditions who need complex care to get a certain number of free visits to allied health professionals such as Exercise Physiologists, Podiatrists, etc. Your condition needs to require you to see more than one allied health professionals. Generally TCA or GPMP's are for people with chronic conditions such as cancer or diabetes etc, that would require them to see Diabetes Educators, Optometrists, Dietitians, Podiatrists etc in order to manage their condition.

There's no list of allowed conditions as GP's are allowed to use their own judgement to a degree. So they might refer people who don't have a chronic disease on a plan like this if they believe the combination of their issues/lifestyle factors makes their care complex; requiring a multidisciplinary team to manage. So a GP might refer someone who is obese, but there would usually need to be other reasons why they need so much care. How quick a GP is to give something like that probably depends a lot of the GP too.
  • ErinK09
    ErinK09 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Glad you liked the gym!
  • happygalah
    happygalah Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Well done on going to the gym. Next time I go to my GP, I'll have to ask him about a referral.
  • cmsu64113
    cmsu64113 Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Great job!
  • PMLeigh
    Options
    Thank's everyone
  • PMLeigh
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Well done - how did you get the free pt? I am in OZ and havent heard about it

You just go to the Dr and tell them you would like to lose weight and ask them if you can have a referral to a exercise physiologist who also runs programs at the gym and also ask for a dietician appointment under CDM

There is also a Heal program but it is run during business hours and I can't get to that one.

• PMLeigh
    Options
    I'd like to know more too? I've never heard of it either. We are about the same weight

You just go to the Dr and tell them you would like to lose weight and ask them if you can have a referral to a exercise physiologist who also runs programs at the gym and also ask for a dietician appointment under CDM

There is also a Heal program but it is run during business hours and I can't get to that one.
  • PMLeigh
    Options
    I'm a medical receptionist in Oz so I have to answer questions about this fairly regularly. She'll be referring to a Team Care Arrangement or General Practitioner Management Plan. This is a type of referral done at your GP's that allow people with chronic health conditions who need complex care to get a certain number of free visits to allied health professionals such as Exercise Physiologists, Podiatrists, etc. Your condition needs to require you to see more than one allied health professionals. Generally TCA or GPMP's are for people with chronic conditions such as cancer or diabetes etc, that would require them to see Diabetes Educators, Optometrists, Dietitians, Podiatrists etc in order to manage their condition.

There's no list of allowed conditions as GP's are allowed to use their own judgement to a degree. So they might refer people who don't have a chronic disease on a plan like this if they believe the combination of their issues/lifestyle factors makes their care complex; requiring a multidisciplinary team to manage. So a GP might refer someone who is obese, but there would usually need to be other reasons why they need so much care. How quick a GP is to give something like that probably depends a lot of the GP too.

Most GPs will consider obesity a Chronic Disease, which has a high risk of becoming diabetic, if you are already diabetic then that is absolutely going to qualify. A dietician & an Exercise Physiologist is enough to qualify. I would be extremely concerned if any health practitioner disagreed or any doctor failed to refer, please let me know if you have any issues and I'll go to bat for you.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!