Back problems/Injuries- Looking for advice/support

Options
Hiya,

I've been consistently losing weight for the last 5 weeks now and have now decided to up my exercise a little.

My problem is that I have a very weak lower back after herniating the L4 disc in my spine when I was 16 (I'm now 23.) This also left me with SJD (Sacroiliac Joint Dysfunction) on the right side of my pelvis. For a good year, I walked round like a little bit of a hunchback and had to have a lot of (bloody expensive) oesteopathy- something that I never want to go through again!

I used to be really active as a dancer until the injury and have pretty much spent the last 7 years using it as an excuse to get active and then give up when it hurts a little.

I understand I'm stuck with the injuries now but I'd love any advice people have for either strengthening the muscles around the area or just how to avoid doing it again whilst getting into a good exercise regime- my posture is also pretty shocking. As well as cardio, I'd also like to tone up a little and just feel strong again.

Anybody in the same boat who like me has had enough! Or anybody who's been there, got the t-shirt, please help!

P.S. I've already received some advice from another MFP member with the same experience and found it so helpful, so please feel free to add.

Megan

Replies

• pensierobello
    pensierobello Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I crashed my bike into my face and smashed out a load of teeth plus severe whiplash all the way down my neck and back. I have worked very hard to recover from it and have had tons of physio and exercise therapy, all of which have helped me.

Definitely look into Pilates. It's brilliant for core strength. Make sure your teacher knows about your injuries and gives you adjustments. See a physio and get a set of exercises to do daily that tie in with this - most will be Pilates related. Ensure you stay doing low impact exercise, so that, plus perhaps some gentle yoga. Walk, but build it up slowly. Work on your posture - it is hugely important. Stick with the elliptical, don't use a treadmill for running or you'll jolt your spine. Swimming is also excellent as it is so low impact - you'll need to work on your technique.
  • hanajbanana
    hanajbanana Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I second Pilates - I started doing this after getting sciatica and it has helped enormously (that, and working with a chiropractor). Again, as long as you let the instructor know there shouldn't be a reason you can't do most of the moves :-)
  • megsb1991
    megsb1991 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys, a few people have mentioned Pilates. I love Yoga so tried Pilates once (told the instructor about my injuries). Unfortunately the next day, I could feel the original twinges/jolts so it scared me off- I felt like I hadn't done it right perhaps?
    However, over the weekend just gone, I bought a book on bad backs (BMA accredited) and low and behold, there was all the Pilates exercises I'd done!
    Will definitely give it another go.

I second Pilates - I started doing this after getting sciatica and it has helped enormously (that, and working with a chiropractor). :-)

I noticed the surf photo! How long do you tend to spend warming up before you go in? My boyfriend and I argue over what's the right amount (He thinks he'll warm up by paddling out!)

Thanks guys!

• lizziep58
    Options
    I fell over on ice and injuries both lower and upper back. I signed up for a gym and was advised initially to start on the exercise bike and had some sets to do. But what was most effective was walking up and down the swimming pool. My body was supported with just enough resistance to tone.
  • ValleySimTech
    ValleySimTech Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I've had lower back issues for years and it was once recommended that I do pilates. After a bit of research I discovered that while pilates can be good for you they can also be very dangerous for people like me with lower back disk issues. I've been going to a great physiotherapist lately and he has been helping me slowing rebuild my lower back muscles and core so that hopefully I'll never had to deal with the pain again. Got to say it's been working quite well for me.
  • pensierobello
    Options
    Meg, I think before you go to Pilates again you should see a physiotherapist, as the guy above says, although it's brilliant, there are risks with certain injuries and movements. Definitely find out what your specific injury will inhibit you from doing and what would cause it more problems.

It's also not just about telling someone about your injuries - for any class you want an instructor who gives you adjustments. If you do take a class it might be worth doing a couple of private ones first to explore your limits in a 1 on 1 setting. For me I just have weak muscles so while I can seize things, I won't herniate a disc, so Pilates works better than yoga for me, because it is so focused on core - I find it 'safer'. But it isn't for everyone!
  • megsb1991
    Options
    Thanks so much guys. This is so helpful to hear other peoples issues. I definitely think its time to visit a Physio again before I dive straight in. Need to find a local swimming pool too by the looks of things.

I really trusted the Pilate instructor I found, but yes you're right, I need to know where I could cause more harm than good. Glad I'm finally educating myself on this rather than trying to ignore it!
  • crystal344
    Options
    Digerented disc in my back....250 lbs....not good. Need movitation....help
  • eponcega
    eponcega Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    megsb1991 wrote: »
    Hiya,

I've been consistently losing weight for the last 5 weeks now and have now decided to up my exercise a little.

My problem is that I have a very weak lower back after herniating the L4 disc in my spine when I was 16 (I'm now 23.) This also left me with SJD (Sacroiliac Joint Dysfunction) on the right side of my pelvis. For a good year, I walked round like a little bit of a hunchback and had to have a lot of (bloody expensive) oesteopathy- something that I never want to go through again!

I used to be really active as a dancer until the injury and have pretty much spent the last 7 years using it as an excuse to get active and then give up when it hurts a little.

I understand I'm stuck with the injuries now but I'd love any advice people have for either strengthening the muscles around the area or just how to avoid doing it again whilst getting into a good exercise regime- my posture is also pretty shocking. As well as cardio, I'd also like to tone up a little and just feel strong again.

Anybody in the same boat who like me has had enough! Or anybody who's been there, got the t-shirt, please help!

P.S. I've already received some advice from another MFP member with the same experience and found it so helpful, so please feel free to add.

Megan

• eponcega
    eponcega Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi, I have stenosis at the L4. And YES. It is a real hurtle. It seems like every time I get started with a good workout routine, my back stops me and I'm out for at least a week. I went from 114pnds to 222 post injury. I find I do better if I keep it low impact. ☺️
  • runfoorun
    runfoorun Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I had a back surgery on a ruptured disc when I was 21 and the doc told me I had degenerative disc disease. Losing weight is the first step and strengthening the muscles around the spine and joints were my next step. I slowly introduced squats, deadlifts and core training back into my exercise routine and now lift heavy weights to maintain and build strength. Keep in mind, I do this carefully and not like a mindless meathead. I'm 37 now and my back is holding up well.
  • megsb1991
    Options
    eponcega wrote: »
    Hi, I have stenosis at the L4. And YES. It is a real hurtle. It seems like every time I get started with a good workout routine, my back stops me and I'm out for at least a week. I went from 114pnds to 222 post injury. I find I do better if I keep it low impact. ☺️

Can I ask what kind of low impact exercise you do?
  • caljoundi
    Options
    Hi there, I've been suffering from 2 slipped discs in my lower back for 10 months now and have tried a number of the exercises listed above.

The things I've found have helped the most are:
    - acupuncture for short term relief when the pain is very acute
    - Daily stretching every morning when I wake up and evening before bed. This makes a huge difference. The mornings I don't stretch I feel very tight and achy.
    - Now for the BEST advice. Check out the dailyburn.com website (they have a killer app on roku) and look for the beginners series on movement and mobility and core strength training. 30 minutes going through these exercises makes me feel better for days at a time.
  • megsb1991
    Options
    runfoorun wrote: »
    I had a back surgery on a ruptured disc when I was 21 and the doc told me I had degenerative disc disease. Losing weight is the first step and strengthening the muscles around the spine and joints were my next step. I slowly introduced squats, deadlifts and core training back into my exercise routine and now lift heavy weights to maintain and build strength. Keep in mind, I do this carefully and not like a mindless meathead. I'm 37 now and my back is holding up well.

Do you ever get those little twinges? I usually take that as my warning sign but they're hard to get past.

Also, how long do you guys tend to rest when injured? I never know whether I should stop for a day, a week etc

• megsb1991
    Options
    caljoundi wrote: »
    Hi there, I've been suffering from 2 slipped discs in my lower back for 10 months now and have tried a number of the exercises listed above.

- Now for the BEST advice. Check out the dailyburn.com website (they have a killer app on roku) and look for the beginners series on movement and mobility and core strength training. 30 minutes going through these exercises makes me feel better for days at a time.

Thank you!! Will definitely have a look at this one!
  • runfoorun
    Options
    The twinges have come and gone since the surgery. I don't let them scare me from exercising. It seems to be a part of living with our condition but with all the things I do it hasn't gotten worse and I do everything from 50 mile trail races to weight training with 300 + lbs on my back. I tend to throw out my back more often doing day to day things around the house and not being careful. Even sitting, or sleeping too long will hurt. Being active has only made me stronger. When I exercise I use proper technique and so far so good.
  • runfoorun
    Options
    The injury question depends on the extend of the injury. If it's pains from over training then of course rest. If its a true injury, then see a doctor. Doctors are always extra cautious in their diagnosis though. Just learn to read your own body. You know it better than anyone else.
  • samikay97
    Options
    Yoga for posture and strengthening your back muscles. if you go to pinterest and type in yoga, back, strengthening you should get a ton of easy moves, just do the ones you can and work your way up.
  • pensierobello
    edited February 2015
    Options
    It's very easy to injure yourself doing yoga though, as it focuses more on flexibility than strength. Personally, I think Pilates is safer for that, but it may not be the right thing for you!
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    I have low back issues too. Bilateral pars fractures and a bulge at l4. I recently started physio focusing on core strength with a stability ball and hamstring stretches. Its really help me to a place where I feel I can move forward. I run, bike swim as my body let's me. I quit yoga/pilaties for a few months the went back this week and don't feel that its going to help me. The twisting and bending are just too much for my back.

My only suggestion is do what your body let's you. Its difficult not progressing like everyone else. But I just have to take what I can get.

I use flippers in the pool to strengthen my legs and alternate laps swimming on my back with front strokes to avoid too much tension on my neck.