please look at my food diary!!

Options
im a busy mother of 5 and have not yet started any real exercise apart from normal daily activities, please can you look at my food diaries and see what improvements I can make to lose weight more easily as im fluctuating up and down by a pound or so and its quite dis-heartening. I will be beginning exercise this week I aim to do this 2x a week. thanks guys

Replies

• DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    I'm not really very good at giving advice about diaries (other than to buy a lower calorie butter, Flora Light is half the calories, save a precious 30 calories per serving! :P) but can say that weight fluctuations will happen no matter what. All I can suggest is to drink lots of water and keep your salt intake down, which can help, but no matter what you do fluctuations will happen. Exercise tends to lead to more fluctuations, too. Either log it in a spreadsheet each day and track the trend, or try weighing fortnightly or monthly as fluctuations will mean less. Whatever works best for you.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    Looks ok to me.

There are a few 'generic' 'cups' and 'portions'. Weed these out, measure in grams. Looks like chicken and banana are the main culprits there.

Homemade - Mash Potatoes (With Butter), 3 small potatoes - Weigh both and log separately.

Freshness - Banana, 2 banana (medium) - Weigh in grams

Chicken - Meat only, roasted, 0.5 cup, chopped or diced - Weigh in grams

Generic - Large Bananna, 1 piece - Weigh it in grams

Grapes - Raw, 1 cup - Weigh them in grams

My initial thought is 1,360 is low. But we don't know your stats and goals, so maybe it is or maybe it isn't.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    I am curious about why you are not tracking protein? :)
    Is Sat Fat important to you for some reason? Is sodium more important than protein?
    . . . .just asking.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    cityruss wrote: »
    Looks ok to me.

There are a few 'generic' 'cups' and 'portions'. Weed these out, measure in grams. Looks like chicken and banana are the main culprits there.

Homemade - Mash Potatoes (With Butter), 3 small potatoes - Weigh both and log separately.

Freshness - Banana, 2 banana (medium) - Weigh in grams

Chicken - Meat only, roasted, 0.5 cup, chopped or diced - Weigh in grams

Generic - Large Bananna, 1 piece - Weigh it in grams

Grapes - Raw, 1 cup - Weigh them in grams

My initial thought is 1,360 is low. But we don't know your stats and goals, so maybe it is or maybe it isn't.

strong advice

boils down to always weigh everything .. no cup/spoon measurements for solids .. or even oils etc if you can help it

be careful what entries you choose from the MFP database .. all the starred ones are user entries .. look for those with the most confirmation, check against pack guidelines and internet calorie databases .. never use a homemade entry, always build your own recipes and use them.. if your ingredients change edit your recipe
  • ricschick
    ricschick Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    ok thanks guys im 147 pounds and and im 5ft 1, had a baby 6months ago and have been counting calories since jan 1st. id like to lose 1st-2st, I try to eat foods with low sat fat and try to watch sugar and salt intake.
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    Just watch your calories, and with a 6 month old, be kind to yourself and don't cut too hard
  • juleszephyr
    juleszephyr Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    First question is why aren't you logging your Cals on Sat and Sun? How far out are you those days? Your diary looks quite carb heavy and yes weigh in grams to check your logging is accurate. Eat more varied Fruit and Veg and set realistic goals. With a young child you are going to be tired and stressed. Set your goals to 1 lb a week and work on varying your meals. AND LOG EVERYDAY good or bad!!!
  • ricschick
    Options
    Honestly on sat and Sunday I count less, I don't pig out but may eat a bit more than usual. I will from now on log sat n sun too!!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Start weighing your food, as it makes a huge difference. Additionally, why are you logging housework?? This is already accounted for in your normal daily activity, so you're essentially, double dipping.
  • nsoss
    nsoss Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Swap out your high carb, low protein breakfast for high protein and fat and low carbs. This will have many health benefits.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    nsoss wrote: »
    Swap out your high carb, low protein breakfast for high protein and fat and low carbs. This will have many health benefits.
    Such as?
  • ricschick
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Start weighing your food, as it makes a huge difference. Additionally, why are you logging housework?? This is already accounted for in your normal daily activity, so you're essentially, double dipping.

I assumed housework would count towards my calories burned no? like if ive hovered my house from top to bottom (3 storey house) I assumed ive burnt calories?

• Sued0nim
    Options
    nope that's covered in general activity settings really, best not to log it
  • ricschick
    Options
    oh ok good to know I wont then thanks