5'5 women, around 140 pounds, how much are you eating?

Options
Hello!

So I have used TDEE calculators and the such, but I would like some real life input.

I am 5'5, 140 pounds, very sedentary and was eating 1200 kcal until now. Obviously I was losing weight. Now that I am getting a little exercise, I am eating 1400 kcal a day (even though I do not spend 200 extra calories in exercise every day). I hope to keep losing - at a slower pace, but 1200 kcal was too restrictive and not sustainable in the long run.

What about you? How many calories do you eat?

Replies

• jessthep1rate
    jessthep1rate Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    5'5, 145lbs, and MFP has me eating 1390 calories to lose 1 lb per week with my activity level set to lightly active. I sync my Fitbit, though, which usually gives me +200 calories. I use it as a safety net, though, and usually only end up eating about half back. So yes, 1400 sounds perfect. I don't think I could do 1200... No way.
  • SkinnySierry
    SkinnySierry Posts: 2
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I have exactly the same stats!
    (5'5 & 140 lbs)
    I usually eat 900-2000 calories, Counting bad days. But my calorie goal is 1530. I'm also lightly active.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    1400 plus exercise is good. (Exercise calories that is)
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4". At 140 I was eating about 1600-1680 for .5 lbs of fat loss per week. That was with my activity level set to lightly active, weight lifting, and doing very little cardio. I did not really eat my exercise calories back as I don't get high burns and needed the padding for logging errors.

I'm less than 140 now, around 136-138....and am going into maintenance for awhile.
  • LifeNewandImproved
    LifeNewandImproved Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    5'5.5", 165, MFP has me eating 1200 calories to lose 1.3 lbs per week with a sedentary activity level (which I very much am unless I'm actively working out). I do try to conservatively log my exercise calories and eat back 75% ish of them though,and I do work out 6 days per week. So probably I average 1400-1500 per day.
  • Kfrase83
    Kfrase83 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I'm the same as most here: 5'4", CW 145. MFP tells me to eat 1210 calories/day to lose 1 lb/week with a sedentary activity level. I have it set for 6 workouts a week, but Mon/Wed/Fri I usually do two-a-days (the first being a 35 minute walk on the Tmill, then BBG). I have found that I like to eat back my workout calories, and have still successfully lost. It's eating the *right* things back that counts, though I do love my Lindors! Looking at a report, I stay around 1400-1900 per day.
  • JAT74
    JAT74 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4" and was eating 1200 calories even though I do 7 days of exercise for 35-120 minutes per day. Some days I was up to 1400 if I spent more time exercising and I've lost 6.5 lbs since January 5th.

My weight loss has slowed down now because I've increased my daily calories to 1310 based on MFP settings being lightly active and I should be losing 1lb per week. I now don't eat back exercise calories and I'm logging calorie burns as 1 calorie for all my workouts.

I may implement one 500-600 calorie Fast day or even two (as per the 5:2 diet) if I find I'm not losing at the rate I want to because I can manage with 1310 most days but don't want to go back to 1100-1200 permanently again.
  • BioQueen
    BioQueen Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I am 5'5" and at 143 (coming from 181) I eat between 1200-1400 with eating some exercise calories back. It has been working well so far :)
  • CoconutLucy
    CoconutLucy Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I am 5'5 started at 145(Dec) and am at 129 now. Mfp had me at 1200 but I'm breastfeeding (3 months old) so I try to say between 1500-1800 calories although I usually am below 1500 and it hasn't affected my milk supply. I don't eat my exercise calories and I've steadily been losing about 2lbs a week. I eat pretty much whatever I want and log everything. So sometimes I'll only eat twice a day with meals that are higher in calories and stay below my daily limit.
  • allieallieoxenfree
    allieallieoxenfree Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'6" and 125 and I eat around 2000 calories to maintain! 1650-1700 when I was losing (started at 141). I'm pretty active, lots of lifting, running, and yoga.
  • Cheyenne_K_
    Cheyenne_K_ Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    5'5 and 135lbs. I eat between 1800-2000. My polar heart monitor says I burn about 3000 calories. I figure it an 12-15% margin of error so that puts my TDEE around 2500.
  • 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    This has been interesting for me to read. I'm 5'4" and 158 (going for 140). I had been at 1,200 plus exercise calories, but it just didn't seem like enough food. I checked TDEE and it suggested I bump it up so I did ... but I haven't been losing. I've readjusted back down to 1,200 plus exercise (which is usually 300-400/day), so we'll see how it goes. I'm nervous. I need it to be sustainable and hunger makes me want to binge. :/
  • Missbodyrocker
    Options
    I'm doing my own thing 1400 calories 4 days a week and 1800 for 3 days at weekend. I'll see how it goes. I have 10lbs to lose.
  • AMcSta
    AMcSta Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I'm same height and approaching 140. I started around 180 and lost well on 1200 eating back some exercise cals. But after about 2.5 months was finding very hard to sustain. Getting extremely run down and not feeling like myself. Upped to 1400 a few weeks ago. Feeling like myself again and still losing around 0.5 kg a week. Definitely natural urge is to loose as quickly as you can but 1400 is sustainable and like you makes me less likely to binge. Got 100 cals per day for a treat and that psychologically is really helpful. So much of it feels like a mental balance - not just physical.
  • 4leighbee
    Options
    AMcSta wrote: »
    I'm same height and approaching 140. I started around 180 and lost well on 1200 eating back some exercise cals. But after about 2.5 months was finding very hard to sustain. Getting extremely run down and not feeling like myself. Upped to 1400 a few weeks ago. Feeling like myself again and still losing around 0.5 kg a week. Definitely natural urge is to loose as quickly as you can but 1400 is sustainable and like you makes me less likely to binge. Got 100 cals per day for a treat and that psychologically is really helpful. So much of it feels like a mental balance - not just physical.

Yes I so agree with your last thought! If I could just see the scale move a smidge, I'd be happier. It'll come. If nothing else, I am eating so much healthier now that I am accountable for all my choices! That IS sustainable! :)
  • misskarihari
    misskarihari Posts: 104 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I am 5'5 3/4'' and I eat about 1800cals a day ( I found out too late that I weigh more than 140 lbs so ignore my post! :))
  • niskmom
    niskmom Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Wow! I've found my diet twins. We should keep this group going. It's great to see other women at the same weight and height and what they eat. I'm working on 1500 cals a day, I also alternate running and erging (indoor rowing machine). I target about 300 calories. I also walk the dog daily for another 200+ workout and am active at my job. I coach high school rowing, which has me walking quite a bit. I've gained a ton of weight this year, (stopped competing in triathlons). No interest in racing this year, but I do want to learn to eat less and lose the weight I gained. I was 113.

I'd love to see posts of what your day looks like in typical meals. I've been struggling with my nighttime routine. I have two boys and a husband at home, so I can't just cook for myself.
  • 4leighbee
    Options
    I have a closed diary, because I feel funny just opening it to the world, but if this is a group that we could form, I would love to open it up to you guys - and be able to get ideas from you as well. Staying at 1,200 will be a challenge for me, and I'm very routined - so I'm looking to pack *more* food into my day with less calories. Losing (reducing) the beer and cheese would probably help, lol ...
  • annemie1124
    Options
    I'm 5'6 and 155lbs and find it difficult to stay under 1200 calories. I aim for 1300 calories and eat most of my exercise calories too.
  • Timorous_Beastie
    Timorous_Beastie Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'5, 42 years old, currently 147-ish aiming for about 135, and losing easily on 1500 plus most of my exercise calories. I run 2-3 times a week (weather permitting), lift heavy and do some cardio circuit training.