vegetarian recipes

Options
Looking for anyone wanting to share vegetarian/vegan recipes.

Replies

• mallory_2014
    mallory_2014 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    What type of food do you prefer? Vegetarian/vegan chili is great, cheap, and makes a ton if you want it to. I make vegan jalapeno poppers often and stuffed mushrooms.

If you are on Pinterest, they have some amazing recipes. You would just need to decide if you want vegetarian or vegan when searching.
  • healthyemily93
    healthyemily93 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of simple vegetarian meals that are quick.

My favorite is grilled cheese - two slices of 100% wheat bread, two slices of white cheddar, and a tbsp of raspberry jam in the middle, grilled with a little bit of butter. Yogurt and carrot sticks on the side.

Rice and beans are cheap, can be prepared way ahead of time, and can be seasoned however you like. I like cheese, cumin, onion and lime and canned tomato.

I love egg tacos - two scrambled eggs with colby jack, mushrooms, lime and avocadao in taco sized corn tortilla.

• adriennel502
    adriennel502 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm vegetarian for 18 years now (although I don't eat fish so can't help you there!)
    One of my favourites is vegetarian meatballs.

1 cup rolled oats
    3 eggs
    1 cup cottage cheese
    1 tp vegetarian stock powder
    1 onion finely chopped
    25g grated cheese
    1 clove garlic
    1 tp dried basil
    1 tp salt
    1/2 tp sugar
    2 cans chopped or pureed tomatoes (alternatively 1 can concentrated tomato soup with 1 can water)

Mix everything together up to and including the salt. I precook the onion in the microwave but not necessary if you don't like your onion thoroughly soft like I do!
    Put the tomatoes and sugar together (I add a little extra salt too). Put a little of the sauce in the base of a large pan or dish and shape the mix into 'meatballs' on top. A little larger than golfballs works for me, and makes about 15. Pour the rest of the tomato on top and bake for about 30 mins. Nice with a salad or veges, and works out at about 216kj (at least it does on my recipe!) per meatball. I usually have 2 or 3 with salad. I don't know a single person we've served it to who hasn't liked it, even my hardcore carnivorous friends! :smiley:
  • fullylugged
    fullylugged Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    www.fatfreevegan.com has a lot of delicious recipes.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    I love this lentil loaf. I usually double the recipe, make 2 and freeze one.

thesimpleveganista.blogspot.com/2012/11/the-ultimate-vegetable-lentil-loaf.html

This stew is really good. I double all the vegetable amounts, including the canned tomatoes. It's better the second day. I used sweet potatoes instead of regular potatoes because I like sweet potatoes combined with lentils.

food.com/recipe/easy-lentil-stew-191459

I'm going to be trying this burger recipe today, they sound really good. Can you tell I have a thing for lentils? I'm leaving out the walnuts, they make my mouth itch.

scottjurek.com/eatandrun/recipes/

These were FANTASTIC mushroom "meat"balls. I made them tiny, cocktail-size.

healthfullyeverafter.co/blog/2014/5/22/healthy-hostess-vegetarian-mushroom-meatballs

• cokefloat1
    cokefloat1 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Indian veggie food is probably amongst the best in the world. The majority of the country are vegetarian owing to their religion and have been for hundreds (possibly thousands) of years. All food is generally very healthy, just avoid too much ghee and the sweets. The sweets WILL give you diabetes and heart problems eaten in too high quantity!!!!

http://www.vegrecipesofindia.com/
  • DuckieSteph
    DuckieSteph Posts: 43 Member
    Options

My favorite is grilled cheese - two slices of 100% wheat bread, two slices of white cheddar, and a tbsp of raspberry jam in the middle, grilled with a little bit of butter.
    -

I've never thought to put jam on a grilled cheese, but it sounds interesting! Thank you for sharing that!
  • DuckieSteph
    DuckieSteph Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I'm a "born again" vegetarian (I was 5 years in, fell off the band wagon, now 6 years later I'm 5 months in).

I think some of the most well received recipes I have made for the fam is probably good old fashioned homemade Mac n cheese with red bell pepper, cauliflour "buffalo wings", any vegetarian chilli and veggie burgers.
    As far as lunches go, I use chickpeas a lot for sandwiches. You can buy them canned or cook your own. Basically use the chickpeas as an egg substitute and make the same way you would an egg salad.
    Hope that helps a little! Sorry I dont have recipes to write out; I do a lot of "winging it" with what I cook. Lol
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    amazon.com has these great things, called cook books. Lot of recipes there.