Cauliflower "rice"

I am a low-carber and yesterday for the first time I attempted to make a cauliflower "rice" substitute. It was terrible to say the least. However I have heard so many people rave of its goodness. This is what I did. I used Kroger brand frozen chopped cauliflower in the bag. I blended the cflow and pan sauted it with canola oil and salt and pepper for about 5mins. i even added a dollop of butter at the end. Where did I go wrong?

Replies

• dogsarebears
    dogsarebears Posts: 85 Member
    I think it comes out better if you start with raw cauliflower, then chop it into small pieces, pulse it in the food processor, and saute it in the pan
  • ar9179
    ar9179 Posts: 374 Member
    Yes, use raw. The liquid it weeps after freezing/thawing does a number on the texture. You want as little water as possible, so rinse it and let it dry. A little planning goes a long way.

I will say, I'm not a huge fan. It's ok, but roasted or a gratin are much tastier.
  • Chandler330
    Chandler330 Posts: 378 Member
    Have you considered cauliflower mashed? I steam the cauliflower in the microwave with a little less water than recommended on the package, add a dollop of flax seed margarine, and a small (learned this the hard way) amount of garlic powder in my Ninja food processor. I love it! It's definitely one of those recipes that is surprisingly spoon licking good :wink:
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Where did I go wrong?

By wanting it to be rice and not grated cauliflower?

Try using just a head of raw cauliflower. Use the large holes of a cheese grater if you don't have a food processor or are too lazy to clean it afterwards. Grated cauliflower is actually kind of a fun way to eat it with a texture that I, personally, really like. But there is no way I could fool myself into believe it is rice just because it is white and pellet-shaped.

• gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Huh, I'm surprised.

bad-taste-baby.gif
  • PositivelyFlawed
    PositivelyFlawed Posts: 316 Member
    edited February 2015
    Cauliflower is delicious, but don't expect it to be mashed potatos or rice :P Pulsing it into rice pellets is a good idea to mentally "trick" yourself, much like "spaghetti" squash or "zoodles", the latter being gag worthy, but ultimately a rose by any other name is still a rose :P Eat some good hearty brown rice, quinoa or wild rice and call it a day :P

Also, just so i'm actually answering and not just trtying to be comical, frozen cauliflower is good for mashing and making the pizza crusts, but for pellets you'll want fresh!
  • tbilly20
    tbilly20 Posts: 154 Member
    By the time you cook it in oil and add butter, is there anything you are saving by not eating actual rice? Is it a carb thing?
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    tbilly20 wrote: »
    By the time you cook it in oil and add butter, is there anything you are saving by not eating actual rice? Is it a carb thing?

For me it's a texture thing, as I mentioned, but usually the point of cauliflower pellets is to be low-carb or "paleo."

Because my Stone Age ancestors were totally squatting around their campfires with a Nutribullet.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Huh, I'm surprised.

bad-taste-baby.gif

You don't like cauliflower?
  • gwensoul
    gwensoul Posts: 87 Member
    Yeah I think it was not using raw, I do it all the time to put with saucy dishes. It isn't rice but it is good on its own. I just use my food processers grater then war it up in the microwave or in a really hot skillet, no oil.
  • gypsy_spirit
    Huh, I'm surprised.

bad-taste-baby.gif

I love cauliflower....as cauliflower.

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Why don't you just eat the couliflower as is?
  • Lissa_Kaye
    Lissa_Kaye Posts: 214 Member
    I just tried this the other day too and am so in love I have two heads sitting in my fridge awaiting their imminent doom, muahahahaha. I used fresh grated caulitflower, sautee in real butter till soft, seasoned with garlic salt and lawry's, then topped with a light dusting of finely ground asiago. Oh, ditch the canola. I would go with some nice olive, or maybe peanut or something.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    edited February 2015
    Huh, I'm surprised.

bad-taste-baby.gif

ah, so the gif of "bad taste" doesn't really apply, since the taste doesn't really change because it's cut smaller.
  • DWBalboa
    DWBalboa Posts: 37,259 Member
    Try steaming it first, then mashing it with a little butter and sour cream or cream cheese (oh hell do both!) and fresh garlic, garnish with a wee bit of parsley and chives and BAM!!! Killer mock mashed potatoes or faux po's. ;-P
    Make sure your use soften butter and cream cheese, leave them at room temp until they are both soft to the touch. This will allow them to blend better.
    And don't forget a little salt and peppa.
    Bon appetite!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    DWBalboa wrote: »
    Try steaming it first, then mashing it with a little butter and sour cream or cream cheese (oh hell do both!) and fresh garlic, garnish with a wee bit of parsley and chives and BAM!!! Killer mock mashed potatoes or faux po's. ;-P
    Make sure your use soften butter and cream cheese, leave them at room temp until they are both soft to the touch. This will allow them to blend better.
    Bon appetite!
    I like it with butter, garlic and feta. oh my.
  • DWBalboa
    DWBalboa Posts: 37,259 Member
    DWBalboa wrote: »
    Bon appetite!
    I like it with butter, garlic and feta. oh my.

Well, feta is betta! ;-) I did forget to mention adding parmesan cheese. I'll have to try the feta sometime.
    Thanks.
  • jellybeanhed313
    jellybeanhed313 Posts: 344 Member
    Use raw cauliflower and try roasting it in the oven instead of sautee. It lets more of the water evaporate. Wash, dry, chop in food processor, spray cooking sheet with Pam, spread cauli-rice evenly, roast 400-450 for 10 min or until the tips start to brown.

I also like to use this as "fried rice". Add in a scrambled egg, veggies, soy sauce, ginger, garlic.

It isn't going to taste like rice, but for a low carb lifestyle, its a great option.
  • gypsy_spirit
    Huh, I'm surprised.

bad-taste-baby.gif

ah, so the gif of "bad taste" doesn't really apply, since the taste doesn't really change because it's cut smaller.

The "bad taste" gif applies because I don't like foods masquerading as other food. If you want to eat rice - eat rice.

• kalamitykate83
    kalamitykate83 Posts: 227 Member
    I am a low-carber and yesterday for the first time I attempted to make a cauliflower "rice" substitute. It was terrible to say the least. However I have heard so many people rave of its goodness. This is what I did. I used Kroger brand frozen chopped cauliflower in the bag. I blended the cflow and pan sauted it with canola oil and salt and pepper for about 5mins. i even added a dollop of butter at the end. Where did I go wrong?

When I did it I used fresh cauliflower, not frozen, and it was delish!! I cut it up into pieces then blended it for a bit then I popped it in the microwave for a bit then mixed spices with it :smile: I also made mash with it in the same way, just mashing it at the end! And I used it last week to make a pizza base which was amazing!! But each time it's been fresh cauli, not frozen so try that!
  • subversive99
    subversive99 Posts: 273 Member
    Where did I go wrong?

I think it was the part where you willingly ate cauliflower. *shudder* :smile:

• runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    edited February 2015
    Huh, I'm surprised.

bad-taste-baby.gif

The "bad taste" gif applies because I don't like foods masquerading as other food. If you want to eat rice - eat rice.

Dr Google says

Define Rice : a swamp grass that is widely cultivated as a source of food, especially in Asia.

Anyways ....

If OP wants to eat "Cauliflower Rice" and if their question is "What went wrong?" my attempt would be to either help answer that question or if unable to then - move on.

Sitting here, adding gifs and spoiling a good question (for OP) would be called trolling.

EDTA: Sitting here, adding gifs and spoiling a good question (for OP) and not answering their question would be called trolling.
  • I'm a cauliflower junkie. Fresh is much better than frozen. I would boil it like potatoes to the same consistency as a boiled potato and then go from there.
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    edited February 2015
    OP,

I tried Cauliflower rice once and here is how I did it.

Washed the Fresh cauliflower. Cut it into small pieces.
    Sauteed Red Onion in Coconut Oil (or whatever oil you prefer)
    Sauteed Tomatoes.
    Add Cauliflower
    Add Turmeric, Pinch of Curry Masala, Cayenne Pepper Powder.
    Cover with Lid and let it cook.

Cauliflower has a water of it's own which cooks it. DO NOT add any extra water.

It taste like a Vegetable Pulav (Biryani/Fried Rice) that they serve in Indian Restaurant.

EDTA : Add Salt. Don't forget that.

Next time can you create Food Questions in either support or Recipes. You probably didn't realize this but your post got created in Fitness ....