Artificial Sweetners

Options
2»

Replies

• crystalewhite
    crystalewhite Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    It's mainly a taste preference for me, I think they are bitter. They also upset my stomach sometimes too and that's not fun for anyone.
  • aakaakaak
    aakaakaak Posts: 1,240 Member
    Options
    I feel like I'm one of the lucky ones that doesn't have a problem with the taste of aspartame. I've been a hardcore diet soda drinker for as long as I can remember.

Simple and/or complex carbohydrates do not cause fat. Excess macronutrient intake causes fat. You can do this with carbs, fats or even protein. Mostly calories though. Absorbing more calories than you burn will cause you to store long term calories...in the form of fat.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I will never give up my Sweet 'n Low. I carry packets in my purse because a lot of places only seem to have Equal and the yellow one (can't remember the name) anymore.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    krknobbe10 wrote: »
    Thanks everyone! I was told to switch protein powders because mine had artificial sweetners in it but I really can't spend a ton on it. So I found one that has better ingredients and is actually cheaper with less carbs. Hopefully it tastes just as good and it has gotten good reviews.

You're fine. Stick with your protein powder if you like it.
  • johnnylakis
    johnnylakis Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I avoid them because the cause obesity and diabetes
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I put splenda in my coffee and drink diet sodas. I have never had any adverse reactions to artificial sweetners nor do they make your body "hold on to fat".
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I've cut back on artificial sweeteners because too many mess my tummy up...but I love a sweet n low in my coffee in the morning and aint giving it up. Like everything else, its probably about that moderation thing.
  • runnerchick69
    runnerchick69 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I gave up diet pop this past June, for no other reason than to see if I could do it and I guess I could :D I do have a glass probably once a week but that is about it. With that said, I eliminated a lot of artificial sweetener but I do still use a little in my coffee and oatmeal. I didn't used to buy in to that whole diet pop makes you gain weight but after giving it up I dropped three pounds, the same three I'd been trying to lose for better than a year...go figure. I don't judge anyone that drinks pop because it is a personal choice and I am no one to cast stones :)
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    I tried some stevia in my coffee last weekend and hated it. For all the complaints about "artificial" sweeteners, stevia had about the least sugar-like flavor I've had.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Jruzer wrote: »
    I tried some stevia in my coffee last weekend and hated it. For all the complaints about "artificial" sweeteners, stevia had about the least sugar-like flavor I've had.

I agree. I also don't buy that it's somehow better for you because it's "natural". Arsenic is "natural" too. Not to mention is it REALLY natural anyway? It is extracted from leaves using ethanol.
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options

i bought stevia to put in my coffee too. the coffee ended up down the sink and the rest of the stevia is lining my bin

• Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options

I agree. I also don't buy that it's somehow better for you because it's "natural". Arsenic is "natural" too. Not to mention is it REALLY natural anyway? It is extracted from leaves using ethanol.

It was especially charming as the stevia was in little green packets, in contrast to the blue, yellow, and pink packets for the other sweeteners. We all know that green=natural=healthy!