When You're Sick...

Options
2»

Replies

• BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    If it's a stomach upset of some kind, I would just eat/drink whatever agreed with me and probably still log it, but chances are that you're going to be under your goal until you're feeling better. If it's a cold or similar, I know myself well enough to know that I'm going to crave carbs as comfort food, so I tend to still log and try to stay within my calories (maybe give myself a couple hundred calories leeway) but not worry at all about my macros if I'm really not feeling well - on my best days I struggle to get my protein in, so if I'm sick I give myself a few days off to just eat bagels and pretzels or whatever.

If I was VERY sick, as in truly bed-ridden or something, I probably wouldn't bother to log at all and would just focus on getting better and eating the foods that my body needs to heal.
  • DKG28
    DKG28 Posts: 299 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    don't know. what I hate most about being sick is that it feels like I'm not in control of my body, and perhaps logging food and feeding it nutritiously would help me feel like i could do something to fight the illness. I can't say about digestive upsets - haven't had such an issue in a long time, but I suspect I wouldn't want think about food a second longer than I had to. In that case, perhaps just log fluid intake cause hydration is the most important issue in that situation.
  • LadyLots2Lose
    LadyLots2Lose Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I suppose it really depends on what kind of illness it is and what you're eating.
    I had this dilemma last week. I ended up logging what I ate although that wasn't much to begin with (1 serving of apple and walnut loaf - which was rejected half an hour later). A packet of rice crackers and bolognese with pasta the following day.
  • mikeywarsaw
    Options
    I wouldn't restrict calories when sick, your body needs calories to get better.
  • CaptAwesome77
    CaptAwesome77 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    When I'm sick I'm generally not hungry. It's not that I'm restrictions anything, just that I don't want anything. Therefore I don't bother logging anything, all I'm eating is a bowl of broth all day and some Thera-flu anyway, my body is burning more than that 120 calories or so anyway.