5'5 women, around 140 pounds, how much are you eating?

Options

Replies

• juleszephyr
    juleszephyr Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4" and currently 155 lbs. I have lost 10 lbs since 1st Jan averaging about 1350 per day as well as doing some exercise each day... I know the calories are low but that is what I need to do to lose, if I eat back even half my exercise cals I put on weight! C'est la vie...
  • grazer432
    grazer432 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    5 5 and just under 140. I usually eat between 1200-1400. If I go above 1500 I gain weight.
  • kellynmay
    kellynmay Posts: 2
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I'm 5'5" 140 lbs, and I eat 1300 a day +500 because I am currently breastfeeding, and usually about +200 extra from my Fitbit. So overall about 2000. When I am no longer breastfeeding, it will probably fluctuate between 1400-1800/day. Edited to say I am 26 years old.. I will probably need to eat less to maintain as I get older.
  • lbride
    lbride Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I'm your diet twin 2. 5-6, 145, MFP has me at 1200 but I've increased to 1400, and that's a struggle to stay within--I'm going to try to do it today. Very little (organized) exercise here, but I do run around with the kiddos when I can, but not enough to "make it count"
  • JSurita2
    JSurita2 Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    I'm very short, 5feet and weigh 138lbs (I feel like a beach whale btw). I want to get to at least 117ish but I'll be happy at 120. My lowest weight ever has been 119 and I got criticized for looking too thin. I don't care, I want to look and feel that way again. I try to stay at 1200 calories a day. I've just started walking 3 miles uphill on my treadmill every day so I'm hoping to drop at least 10 pounds by the summer.
  • 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    lgutches wrote: »
    This has been interesting for me to read. I'm 5'4" and 158 (going for 140). I had been at 1,200 plus exercise calories, but it just didn't seem like enough food. I checked TDEE and it suggested I bump it up so I did ... but I haven't been losing. I've readjusted back down to 1,200 plus exercise (which is usually 300-400/day), so we'll see how it goes. I'm nervous. I need it to be sustainable and hunger makes me want to binge. :/

How long were you eating at 1400 calories? I only ask because whenever you increase your daily intake (especially if you've been eating so few calories), your body is going to store water to help process the additional food. The water weight can hide your losses for up to a month until you catch back up and start losing again. For me, it usually only take about 2 weeks if it's a couple hundred calories, but I've read a lot of people who say it's a month before the scale starts moving again. It's not that you're gaining weight or stalled, it's just water weight. Personally, I'd try the 1400 again.

hmm ... yeah, I wasn't at 1400 long at all - probably about two weeks. I'm not usually so impatient. I think the daily focus on my intake and exercise has maybe got me a little obsessed. I am going to try to be more disciplined, too. I looked at my report for a month and I was considerably under 1200 on some days but up around 1400 on others. I didn't realize I was yo-yoing that much. All the unpredictable stuff happens when I go home from work - at work, I am very routined. I like the idea of 1400 a whole lot better. Maybe I will reconsider. Thank you.
  • 4leighbee
    Options
    ^^ I'm lying. I am always this impatient. ;)
  • iceey
    iceey Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'5 and 137. I eat about 1600-1700 and work out about 4 times a week. I don't eat back my exercise calories. My TDEE is 1900 so I'm on a bit of a deficit to lose some weight.
  • iceey
    iceey Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'6 and 155lbs and find it difficult to stay under 1200 calories. I aim for 1300 calories and eat most of my exercise calories too.

Why do you want to stay under 1200? I'd starve!

• 4leighbee
    Options
    I'm 5'4" and currently 155 lbs. I have lost 10 lbs since 1st Jan averaging about 1350 per day as well as doing some exercise each day... I know the calories are low but that is what I need to do to lose, if I eat back even half my exercise cals I put on weight! C'est la vie...

Do you add exercise calories on top of this or just stay at 1350 regardless?
  • JAT74
    JAT74 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    It's really interesting reading this thread, however it's proved to me what I always thought, ie. that despite the fact we are all a similar height and weight, we lose, gain and maintain be eating different amounts and by doing different activities.

In my case I'm highly sedentary and I've been able to confirm this by use of a pedometer over the past couple of weeks. I do exercise daily for around 60 minutes or more sometimes, but that doesn't help me to generate large enough calorie burns.

I also have a very low TDEE based on being so sedentary, so I can only eat 1500 calories to maintain my weight maximum, and that figure may even be a little too high.

This means that in order to lose weight I have to eat significantly less to be able to lose, and this is why it's necessary for me to work out daily so I can actually eat a little more (ie. 1300 calories per day as opposed to 1000 per day which I would only be able to lose on if I didn't exercise).

It's a shame for me and it's great that others can eat so much more, but on the other hand I find it keeps my eating in check, as I know if I had the possibility to eat more calories I'd start eating unhealthily again, just because I could get away with it! The fact I can't eat so much means I am not so tempted to eat a lot of high calorie/high sugar or fatty foods because they have a much larger calorie content compared to veggies, lean meat/fish and other healthier alternatives.
  • bekkyhadley
    bekkyhadley Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    5'4 and about 138lbs - I eat 1480 and noted as sedentary as I have an office job and only work out a couple of times a week at the gym. I'm losing about about 0.5lbs a week. I also eat back my exercise calories.
    I did 1200 aiming for 2 pounds a week loss for about 4 months and lost round 9lbs (I started at around 158lb) which was okay as I was trying to lose weight for my sisters wedding but once I'd gotten that out of the way I upped my calories and slowed down the weight lose - have lost another 7 since then.
    I self sabotage badly and go over a lot because I have 0 self control!
  • GulfcoastAL
    GulfcoastAL Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4" and started at 140 back in September. I've lost 15 pounds so now at 125 with 5 more to go. I usually eat in 1270 range, don't eat my 280-350 exercise calories back. If I get hungry, I will eat 100 extra until hunger goes away, but that happens maybe once a week. Very sedentary other than some walking/running maybe 3-5 times a week if weather cooperates. If I remember to do it, some free weight arm stuff. My TDEE to maintain with no exercise is 1470s. This checks out with my fitness tracker too. I am not a fitness beast like I thought, I guess! LOL.

Even though I was flat uncomfortable eating so much, I did experiment with eating more for 2 months in Nov-Dec, about 1480-1670 calories and began gaining. I'm not here to gain, but it was good to see real life personal TDEE for me. Now I'm back to the 1270 calories, sometimes eating more if I'm hungry from exercise- only losing half a pound a week on average so not getting crazy with the weight loss. I've also taken the additional step of having blood work done before I started and also recently, and all is well. One reason I did it was to check my protein and vitamin levels, since I don't like meat. I'm nearly 46 years old and I haven't been this weight since early 30s! I was 115 pounds during my 20s.

Everyone seems different in their calorie needs, age, hormones, etc. so if you are hungry, experiment with upping the calories. I also find giving alcohol the boot helps tremendously.
  • 00figg
    00figg Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    this is all so fascinating! i am 42 years old, 5’6 and weigh 138. last june when i started i weighed 185 and ate 1200ish calories since i thought that was what i was supposed to do. i work a full time office job and my fitbit tells me i walk 14k steps a day and burn approximately 2200 calories. i stalled 6 weeks ago and started researching bmr and tdee. it indicated that my calorie intake as too low. it took a while for me to actually take the plunge to increase my calories, but i have since upped my calories to around 1400 and i am very pleased with the results. it makes no sense to me, but i can’t argue with the scale. :smile:
  • GulfcoastAL
    GulfcoastAL Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    JAT74 wrote: »

It's a shame for me and it's great that others can eat so much more, but on the other hand I find it keeps my eating in check, as I know if I had the possibility to eat more calories I'd start eating unhealthily again, just because I could get away with it! The fact I can't eat so much means I am not so tempted to eat a lot of high calorie/high sugar or fatty foods because they have a much larger calorie content compared to veggies, lean meat/fish and other healthier alternatives.

Sounds like we are twins!
  • Alexmycat
    Alexmycat Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'5" and 139 pounds. I'm losing on 1600 to 1800 calories per day. The weight is coming off very slowly now, but I'm okay with that, since I'm getting close to my goal.
  • newport08
    newport08 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'5 and I eat about 1500-1800 calories per day, it typically depends on whether I'm highly active that day. I also allow myself treats here and there. I started in July 2014 at 141lbs. It's taken about 6 months for me to gain some lean muscle and lose about 10lbs. I believe in moderation and flexible dieting. I track all of my macros to make sure that I hit at least 130 grams of protein per day. I'm still trying to lose about 3-4 more pounds.

I love my fitbit and try to get in about 18,000-20,000 steps per day.
  • mbcieslak87
    mbcieslak87 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'6" and 142 - I lift 3x a week and run 4-6 miles 3x a week and rest 1x day a week and eat 1600 on weekdays and 2000 on weekends. I've been losing pretty consistently about a 1lb a week since shortly after the holidays (6 lbs total in 6 weeks).

I have done 1200/day before and that is just miserable. I don't really worry about losing too much (125-130 sounds pretty, but my pants are fitting better than they ever have, so if the numbers on the scale never get that low but I continue to tone and feel great and am not starving, then I'm cool with that).
  • mymodernbabylon
    mymodernbabylon Posts: 1,038 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I'm 46 yr old, 5'6", 147lb and I eat 1925 calories (w/o eating back exercise). Since I'm already at a healthy weight, I'm just trying to lose between 1/4-1/2 lb a week and a 15% deficit from my TDEE is perfect for that.
  • Daiako
    Daiako Posts: 12,545 Member
    Options
    1600-1700, after exercise is worked in, so around 1300 net.