I am hungry at night. Something wrong with my diet?

Options
lapriya
lapriya Posts: 32 Member
I have been working out for last 5-6 months with goal of losing weight. Started with burning 200-300 cal per day just on cardio. Later got a personal trainer to help me move into strength training area. When I took a full body analysis in my Gym, it turned out that my muscle mass is low by 5kg and fat is high by 12kg. I upped my protein and lowered my carbs. I try to keep food intake at 1200-1300 cal daily and burn 700 cal 6 days a week. Im fine throughout the day but My problem is, I am hungry even after my dinner. This is causing me to break my diet.
My calorie breakdown throughout the day
Snack~ 50 cal
Breakfast ~ 300 cal
Snack ~ 100 cal
Lunch ~ 450 cal
Snack ~ 100 cal
Dinner ~ 200 cal

Any inputs or suggestions?

Replies

• Timorous_Beastie
    Timorous_Beastie Posts: 595 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    You're burning an extra 700 calories a day and only eating 1200-1300 calories? No wonder you're hungry.

By your stats, you don't have much weight to lose. Aim for one pound (half a kg) a week (for now, as you get closer to your goal, switch to a half pound a week) and eat at least half of your exercise calories. Then see how you're feeling.
  • rand486
    rand486 Posts: 270 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    You can lose fat, or gain muscle. You cannot (generally) do both.

Weight lifting is one of those things that left me feeling ravenous at all times - there's a reason lifters love to bulk!

But if your goal is to lose that 12 kg of bodyfat first, and you're still intending to work out that intensely, you're probably going to have a hard time with hunger (and your body may end up consuming even more of that muscle you're low on).

* What do your macros look like?
    * Male/female (this will affect how much bodyfat you can reasonably expect to lose)?
    * What's your current & goal weight?
    * What's your current & goal bodyfat %?
    * What are your current, and long term goals?
  • lapriya
    Options
    Well as per my today's diet Protien~ 95, Carbs ~150, fat~ 30
    I'm a female with current weight at 68kg and goal weight at 60 kg.
    Current Fat % of 38, goal 25%
    Current goal is to bring weight down to 60kg and later to 55kg and maintain at that weight
  • lapriya
    Options
    Also yes my this month report do show that im losing on my muscle mass.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    If you're hungry at night, switch your calories around, so you eat more in the evening. I have a Quest bar for "dessert" every night. Keeps me nice and full.

Overall you're netting a really low amount - I'd definitely up your intake. With only 17 pounds to lose, your goal should be to lose .5 pounds a week or so. Anything else is too aggressive IMO.

• rand486
    rand486 Posts: 270 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    lapriya wrote: »
    Also yes my this month report do show that im losing on my muscle mass.

Yeah, not surprising - you're eating not a ton of protein for an athlete, so your body is basically consuming muscle to cope with the calorie deficit.

I'd suggest you up your protein, to deal with your strength training while on an aggressive cut. Fortunately, that also helps satiety - I find carbs never keep me full, I just keep going back for more. I try to eat at 40%/30%/30% (carb, fat, protein), and if anything, I sacrifice carbs in place of even more protein.

Also, seek out high fiber carb sources, rather than sugars. Broccoli, Cauliflower, carrots, etc are incredible snacks that are low calorie that you can eat a field of, and not worry about :)
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    what are you using to measure these 700 per day calorie burns??? that sound insanely high ....
  • lapriya
    Options
    Can I add more protein in my dinner? I was told to lower protein intake after evening snack as it can affect digestion.

I don't have HRM to measure calories. for cardio my machine show abt 900cal.
    cals for strength training is from what my trainer told.
  • jcim1ru
    jcim1ru Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I followed an education I learned via the Naturally Slim program. I changed how and when I eat and found that it made the hunger issue cure itself.

I only eat 2 meals a day now. And if I struggle in between them I have tools that help me through that. I've not had any digestive issues for the year I've been following the program. I cut out the concept of snacking and I started choosing foods that weren't focused on decreasing/increasing certain types of foods but work more for a well-rounded diet of proteins, carbs, fats and sugars.

I use a glutamine supplement to squash my endless craving for sugar and I eat a lot slower enabling mind and body to synchronize on the eating experience.

I still have days where I feel like I could eat all day long but they are manageable.

You might try swapping out your larger protein intake from lunch to dinner and I'd choose to cut out the snacks in favor of an evening meal with more substance to it. I split my protein between my two meals. It takes longer for the body to process proteins and it keeps you feeling much fuller for longer periods of time.

Another suggestion is to work on ways to stabilize your blood sugar levels throughout your day. Many hunger signs are triggered by the fluctuation of insulin levels. When I found tools to balance mine out the hunger again took care of itself.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    why are you eating only 1200 calories if you're working out? I'd say that's probably a big part of your problem.
  • Shy_Yogi
    Shy_Yogi Posts: 101 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Listen to your body - obviously you are not getting enough calories for the workout you do....eat back some of those exercise calories :) Your net calories are 500-600 a day (1200 to 1300 minus 700 cals burned). That is not enough to maintain even breathing. No wonder your body is screaming that its hungry!
  • KickboxDiva
    KickboxDiva Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Check out Eat to Perform. Lots of good info about feeding your athletic needs. MFP does not have good guidelines for daily calorie intake. Check your BMR and TDEE using online calculators and compare to what you are consuming. I increased my intake from 1200-1400 to 1600-2000 and have continued to lose weight by building muscle.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Can I add more protein in my dinner? I was told to lower protein intake after evening snack as it can affect digestion.

I don't have HRM to measure calories. for cardio my machine show abt 900cal.
    cals for strength training is from what my trainer told.

machine estimates are wayyyyy overrated ...so you should be taking only half of those..

however, given that fact if you are eating 1200 - 450 burned = a net of 750, which is insanely low.
    -
    You need to make sure that you NET the number you are eating to. So in my above example you would eat 1650 - 450 burned = 1200 net ..

the reason that you are hungry is because your net calories are too low.
  • lapriya
    Options
    I guess I have no option but to up my intake. I am kind of worried here bcz its getting harder to lose weight and I feel so guilty for that extra bite of food.

Also,Is it true that I cannot lose weight and build muscle at the same time? My strength and stamina is definitely increasing which I can make out from the weights I can take now.
    Doesn't that indicate building muscle?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I guess I have no option but to up my intake. I am kind of worried here bcz its getting harder to lose weight and I feel so guilty for that extra bite of food.

Also,Is it true that I cannot lose weight and build muscle at the same time? My strength and stamina is definitely increasing which I can make out from the weights I can take now.

You can build substantial strength without building mass...a lot of strength development, particularly in the beginning is simply neural adaptation. Your body is learning to use what is already has.

Look at it this way...if you're dieting you are in a catabolic state to lose fat yes? So how could you build anything in a catabolic state...you can't build mass in a catabolic state, regardless of whether you are talking about fat mass or lean mass...you can't build something from nothing. There are some noob gains, but generally speaking the energy that is being taped into from your fat reserves are going to fuel other, more important functions than mass building.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I dunno, maybe try eating some food? It sounds crazy, I know, but it's been known to work, and sometimes it's even worked for people that are netting 500 calories too
  • ndj1979
    Options

1. if you are scared to eat then you may have an issue with food or be bordering on an eating disorder. You may want to consider getting help.
    2. you can get newbie gains when eating in a deficit and lifting progressively. However, with a net calorie intake of 500 to 700 I highly doubt that is happening...
    3. strength gains do not equal muscle gains. you can train your muscles to lift more weight but that does not mean you are adding muscle, it just means your muscles are now more efficient.
    4. final point on adding muscle and losing fat, you can do a recomp = lifting heavy with progressive overload and eating at maintenance level, but that is a very slow process and can take over a year to see any appreciable gains.
    5. what devpul said...EAT MORE FOOD..seriously ...there is nothing wrong with consuming 1500 calories a day or more...
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    I've had issues with waking up hungry in the middle of the night (2am or so) to the point i couldn't go back to sleep for a while now. Last week I switched back to eating only 3 meals a day. And even with pretty low cals since I'm currently cutting, i'm fine throughout the night.

Turns out for some people, eating snacks throughout the day messes with hormones and your body expects more food every few hours even when you're sleeping or something along those lines. Heck, maybe in my case it's only psychological but if it works, why the hell not?
  • MountainMaggie
    MountainMaggie Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    If you're hungry, eat.

You're setting yourself up to ruin your metabolism and gain everything back as soon as you reach your goal weight. Sounds like you are on a crash diet, bordering on an eating disorder. You cannot diet and expect results. It must be a lifestyle change. You can't get by on 1200-1300 calories a day for the rest of your life. I'm 5'2" and if I don't work out, still need at least 1500. If I'm working out intensely, I can eat as much as 2000 a day or more.
  • tcmay72
    tcmay72 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    It seems like you are not eating enough. However I get most hungry when im tired. Go to bed.