What do you do when you are tired?

Options
I generally tend to turn to food and I think that this has been my problem in the past. I get home from work sit down and am exhausted. I then end up falling asleep really early on the sofa then eat to try and boost my energy to stay awake so I can spend time with my husband.
Is this normal? What else can I do? I find that if I am not moving then I just want to go to sleep but don't really have the energy to be really active.

Replies

• wheelieblade
    wheelieblade Posts: 323
    Options
    I nap, can be enough to give me the energy too get up and go. Having said that I'm on meds that make me feel more tired so have been struggling to find my get up and go after it got up and went
  • gameovergt
    gameovergt Posts: 502
    Options
    quick nap
  • raptoradaptor
    Options
    I nap too! But I try too keep them as short as possible. Actually a 15 - 30 minutes "power nap" can give me a lot. If I sleep much longer I'll only have problems too sleep later...
  • pixietoes
    pixietoes Posts: 1,591 Member
    Options
    I'm a girl who needs rest. In my case, it's normal for me but not for most of the people I know. I've learned to not worry about it. I rest when I'm tired. I try to plan my rest so it doesn't interfere with time with my family or things I want to do. On Sunday I wanted to go to the gym, but I needed to rest. It happens.

There is a big difference between learning to listen to your body and listening to your emotions. When you know the difference between the two (and sometimes I still don't) you get the rest you need, you don't feel guilty about it, and you don't lie around like a sloth just because you don't "feel" like working hard.

One thing I will add is that you need to eat. Under-eating will fatigue you like nothing else. I keep my ratios at 40/30/30. I often don't hit on the protein and that seems to be a big key for keeping the need for rest on an even keel. I'm making changes, slowly.

Good luck!
  • TwiFan5
    TwiFan5 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I am interested in this as well, I am struggling to stay awake and have been for a month or two now, it is only 7:30 pm where I am and I am exhausted and will be in bed shortly and hope that my back ache doesn't keep me awake.
  • waster196
    waster196 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I super-nap. 10 minutes or so and I'm ready to go. I guess this wouldn't work for everyone!
  • marber
    marber Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Make sure you stay hydrated through the day it can make a big difference.

My energy levels have improved as I have got fitter so that has encouraged me to keep going but it was difficult at the beginning.
  • 6heatherb6
    6heatherb6 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    "I get home from work sit down..."
    DON't sit down..that used to be my problem too...keeping going change, drink water and go for a walk even a quick one. You'll feel better when you get home, cook and then sit down and have dinner...and then go to bed!
    It worked for me...all the very best:flowerforyou:
  • Amandac6772
    Amandac6772 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    "I get home from work sit down..."
    DON't sit down..that used to be my problem too...keeping going change, drink water and go for a walk even a quick one. You'll feel better when you get home, cook and then sit down and have dinner...and then go to bed!
    It worked for me...all the very best:flowerforyou:

I'm up at 4:15 so by the time I get home at 5:30 I am wiped out. I just don't sit down either. I change, cook supper, go for a wallk or play with my son and then around 8 to 8:30 I sit down and try to unwind from the day. I'm in the bed at 9 to 9:30.
  • mandysjourney
    mandysjourney Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I tend to try and workout straight after work on my work days. If I come homw and sit down that would be it. I have been eating an apple as I leave work and then work out shortly after. Also agree with keeping up your fluids and having enough cals to get through the day.

Also are you getting enough sleep at night?
  • jellyfishjen
    jellyfishjen Posts: 1,787 Member
    Options
    Sleep is my favourite hobby. But really I think its because I sleep so badly of a night I am always looking for more sleep.
  • AnnieeR
    AnnieeR Posts: 229
    Options
    Bumping to keep an eye on responses - being tired is probably my number one trigger for eating badly or too much. My theory is that I'm trying to find energy and psychologically I think that fuel will help. The problem with napping is that it's not an option during a workday.... I do my best to stay rested but my mum will tell you that I have gone into melt down when I get tired since I was a little girl!
  • SoldierDad
    SoldierDad Posts: 1,602
    Options
    What the heck is rest? I am a single dad of two kids, work full time, plus coach sports/teach scouts. Factor in keeping the house clean, cooking, working out and tearing the house up nightly with the kids and my day usually runs from 3am-10pm. But every minute of it is a blessing, and I am double blessed that the Lord gives me the energy to get it all done. It is the joy of my life. But wow an afternoon nap be nice! :-)
  • SpaceMarkus
    SpaceMarkus Posts: 651
    Options
    I'm one of those people that can't nap. If I do I just get more tired. I've tried the 10-min Power Nap all the way up to a good 3-hour nap. I usually just get up and start doing something. Keeps me going :)
  • Lady_C_the_1st
    Options
    Bumping to keep an eye on responses - being tired is probably my number one trigger for eating badly or too much. My theory is that I'm trying to find energy and psychologically I think that fuel will help. The problem with napping is that it's not an option during a workday.... I do my best to stay rested but my mum will tell you that I have gone into melt down when I get tired since I was a little girl!

It is the same for me with thinking psychologically that fuel will help. I also cannot nap during the day and do try very hard to stay hydrated. I do get enough sleep. I am often in bed for about 10-10.30 and up at about 6. I don't think this is too much for my body but I do sleep less when I am on school holidays as I don't have such a hectic day at school so don't need as much.

Maybe staying moving is the key but I am on my feet all day at work and by the time I get home I just want to zone out.
  • vauleese
    vauleese Posts: 75
    Options
    saw this on Dr. Oz...he says to stand on your toes for a few seconds over and over again. Helps get the blood pumping again and gives you a burst of energy.
  • jpooley1988
    jpooley1988 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I tend to try and workout straight after work on my work days. If I come homw and sit down that would be it. I have been eating an apple as I leave work and then work out shortly after. Also agree with keeping up your fluids and having enough cals to get through the day.

Also are you getting enough sleep at night?

I am exactly the same, if I didn't do it straight after work, I won't do it at all! Sit down, fall down! So I go home, have a snack, get changed and then go swimming, or aerobics or bike ride etc, then I also find, I'm not as hungry after working out, so eat my dinner (Smaller portion) and then relax and also I find I'm more awake after exercising, eating and showering.

:)
  • SoFancySoBlessed
    SoFancySoBlessed Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    After working hard....I will go home, change and then go for a walk (just for some fresh air) this gets my blood flowing! Or if its icky out i jump on my stationary bike and ride for about 30 minutes...that will definately give you the extra ump to hang with your honey and not be so tired....i am usually in bed by 10. Good luck :bigsmile:
  • lq022
    lq022 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan of vitamins. You can take one complete multivitamin that has everything, or take them individually ... this is my regimen: 1 iron tablet, 1 super B complex, 1 vitamin C tablet, and 1 echinecia (spelling?) tablet .. thats more to keep colds away =] ... but for energy, the iron and super B complex works wonders!
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    i cant sleep in the day. Just doesnt happen, no matter how tired i am.
    If im tired in the day, i try and either go and have a rest and lie down, or if ive got the kids, then ill just drink more coffee.
    If its evening, ill just try and chill and get an early night