How much do you spend on break, lunch and dinner each day

Options
onmyown70
onmyown70 Posts: 233 Member
edited February 2015 in Food and Nutrition
I spend 3 pounds to BUY a sandwich each day, because I can't keep a loaf in the house without demolishing it... so I just wondered how much others pay for their food each day...

Replies

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    It varies based on meal content and whether we are eating meat we raised/hunted or bought at the market, and by season (whether garden is producing). But probably about $5 - $8 total for the day on food. Another $5 if I have wine with dinner. Lunch is leftovers, I rarely snack or eat breakfast, so it's usually just the cost for one big dinner.
  • AllAboutThatPace
    AllAboutThatPace Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Currently, I do not eat out for lunch, unless it's a special occasion. For the entire month of January, I ate out once for a coworker's last day.

I would say we eat out once or twice a month for dinner, but we have drastically cut back. In the month of December we spent almost $400 going out to eat. In January, we cut back down to $115.
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    None. I pack all my food and save that money for better uses. Groceries...around $125 per week.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    $40 a day. I keep it cheap.
  • gooster5
    gooster5 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Could you freeze a loaf of bread and just take out the slices you need for a sandwich every morning?

I spend about 100-125 per week on groceries and make most of our meals at home. Only the occasional 1 meal out on the weekends.
  • takumar
    Options
    $10 a day covers my food, be it groceries or eating out. Always had a Spartan diet so food cost is not high.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I spend roughly 45$ a week on foods that last me from 1-2 weeks.

Technically- for just a week flat I can get buy on
    Frozen veggies x2----.4.00
    Chicken-..............----.7.00
    Yogurt--..............----.4.99
    Fruit x2.................----.7.0
    Eggs....................----.3.50
    Bacon ...................----.5.99

which is like 35 bucks. - usually I get some tomatoes and or green peppers- and I don't replace those items weekly- usually I get just enough to make 2 weeks and then I'm set- I just replace the chicken and fresh veggies/fruit. That winds up getting me about 7$/day for 5 days.
  • lchadwick3
    lchadwick3 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I make smoothies for breakfast and lunch and I make a salad with peppers and beans for snacks and dinner. I did the math. The smoothies come out to just over $2.50 each and the salads are the same (depending on season and organic costs). So 5 meals come out to about $12.50. I also have frozen berries, almond milk and greek yogurt as an evening snack, probably less than $2.
  • onmyown70
    onmyown70 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    This is interesting! thanks for posting guys.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    onmyown70 wrote: »
    I spend 3 pounds to BUY a sandwich each day, because I can't keep a loaf in the house without demolishing it... so I just wondered how much others pay for their food each day...

Interesting question. I really don't know. I eat at home mostly so I would have to figure out the cost of each ingredient and do a bunch of tedious math. Probably eat about $20- 30 of food a week though based just on the grocery spending for my household.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    Our family spends roughly $5/person-day for food, although the teenagers eat more than the grade schoolers. I'd say my share is a little more than average, maybe $7/day average.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    I know I spend about $3/day on my preferred breakfast bar.

I don't eat out regularly, so that's my biggest single expense. I probably spend $700/month and sometimes more on groceries for two people, which might sound like a lot. But my fiance eats a ton in general and we both eat a lot of fresh produce, and that adds up pretty fast. We also don't worry too much about our food budget apart from shopping at the inexpensive grocery store or Costco and taking advantage of sales - we are lucky to have the luxury of saying "Whatever it costs to eat the food we want to eat, we'll spend."

Doing the math, though, that put me at about $12/day for food, which seems pretty reasonable to me.
  • transientcanuck
    transientcanuck Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    My partner and I spend around NZ$130 (around $96 US) a week on groceries, but we buy mainly fresh produce, meat and very few packaged foods. That's under $5 NZ per meal/snack.

This works well as we normally feel full and satisfied enough to avoid buying lunches and snacks on our way home from work.

Dining out is extremely expensive where I live, where an average dinner in Auckland costs $80 for two people. Therefore we try not to do this too often.
  • Leyshinka
    Leyshinka Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I spend on average £5 a day for lunch. Trying to change this by preparing a packed lunch every night. I am addicted to Hoisin duck wrap from waitrose :(
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Varies greatly. My lunch is packed and anywhere from $3 to $6 and dinner is anywhere between $0 & $10 depending on what I eat.