Causes for binging? Solutions/advice?

Options
Anyone else binge with absolutely no control? Know reasons for?

I go through a pattern it seems, where I stay under my goal for 2-3 days then binge big time one night, 2-3 days recovery and then I binge and lose all my progress. Am I the only one?

(Personally, I think it's because while I restrict calories I'm kinda hungry the entire time, and always thinking about foods that I wish I could eat. So when I mess up a little, I just eat a bunch because I never really give myself the opportunity to eat whatever I want. It's really unhealthy, but I don't know how to get out of it. I'm obsessed with counting calories and everyone's pretty bodies.)

I'm just wondering if there's other people who struggle with this, and then what you do about it?

Replies

• CassieLEO
    CassieLEO Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    If you restrict your calories too much and find yourself doing this, than you should maybe change your activity level and goals so that you can have more calories. Or, increase your exercise and burn a whole bunch of calories so that you can eat more calories by eating them back.
    I will say though, that you are a adult who can control your free will. No one is making you open those cubbards and buy the foods that you binge on. You need to have some self control over what you do. All of us would like to just eat and eat, out of boredom, frusteration, or whatever, but some of us control it...
  • jgoff3003
    jgoff3003 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    bump
  • anawms
    anawms Posts: 9
    Options
    I have had an eating disorder for 6 years. I was diagnosed bulimic. So I binge a alot. But I only really binge when I start restricting calories. If I eat normally (6 small meals a day) then I dont binge as much. Just try and eat small meals throughout the day so you are less hungry. And try not to tell yourself you cant have something, because that just makes you want it more. Hope this helps :)
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    I try to save them for special occasions. Like my kids birthdays, holidays, family parties, etc. When They happen I do tend to go overboard though.
  • zetsubou
    zetsubou Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I think we're all struggling with that. The thing is, if I know I want something sweet or salty I make sure that if i consume all those calories they will not go under my 1200 per day. Or if they do go up to 1400, i make sure I exercise later.
    And yeah, I also make up some kind of 'special day' so i could pamper myself ;D I'm a student so it's hard to not think about food when cramming for exams ;D
    And try to drink lots of water, it really helps~