Want to Do Couch2 5 K...But Don't Think I Can

Options
2»

Replies

• melduf
    melduf Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Find a running/fast walking buddy!!! You'll push your limits without noticing!!
    For the hammer-in-throat thing, it's "normal", or I should say to be expected. It's your blood flow increasing. You probably taste copper on your tongue too. It will go away the more you get in shape. Don't let that stop you.
  • subversive99
    subversive99 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I know I need to work on my cardiovascular endurance.

I don't think "need" is the right word to use. Now, if being able to run is a goal for you (it is for me, which is why I'm also working on a 'learn to run' thing, and I've never been a runner either), then definitely keep working at it. All I would say is go as slow as you need to, repeat as many weeks as you need to, etc.

Some specific things that are helping me to progress this time, as a fellow non-runner maybe some of these will help you, ymmv.
    1. I don't worry about how fast I progress, just work on progressing. So that means maybe I spend 2 weeks at the same intervals but just up the speed by .1mph on the treadmill.
    2. I don't try to follow a C25K program specifically. I find they ramp up too fast and I end up falling off the wagon/treadmill.
    3. I used to try to run at 6mph during my running intervals, but I was stalling out on my progress. I lowered it to 5mph and am seeing progress again (last night I was able to do R5W1 for the first time in years and years). I figure I will work on speed eventually when I can run 20-30 minutes continuously
    4. I accept that some days my legs will feel like lead and I will have a crappy run. It's not the end of the world, and just like weight loss, sometimes there will be pullbacks in my progress before big leaps forward.

Good luck, and be careful not to hurt yourself. Take your time, and be aware of what DavPul said. If the exercise is that painful, maybe work on getting healthy in other ways and come back to running again down the road.
  • Leeanncalloway
    Leeanncalloway Posts: 10 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I tried it for the first time today...only made it 17 minutes, and the last 5 were only cause my choices were get back home or lay down and die on the side of the road! I'm going to try to at least finish one proper week, but not sure if my knee will hold out. Good luck if you decide to try it, but don't feel bad if you decide running isn't your thing. I'm thinking it's not mine, but going to give it a fair try.
  • dawnmcneil10
    dawnmcneil10 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    I didn't do an official C25K program, I just did it at my own pace. First I'd say just get up each day and move, you don't have to follow anyone elses plan, don't have to beat anyone's records, don't have anything to prove to anyone but yourself.
    If you truly want to run it's possible however it's going to take a little time. Start with walking and I recommend outside because treadmills can be extrememly boring. As you're walking challenge yourself to speed walk between telephone poles and allow your lungs to adjust. There is nothing that says you have to run but if it's a personal goal for you then work up to it, running doesn't have to be fast to be considered running.
    I run at what I consider a turtle pace and it took me an entire summer of running between telephone poles before I could run a mile but I did it.
  • josavage
    josavage Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    You have lots of good advice about seeing a doc, etc. I found this conservative couch to 5k program that may be good for you because of your asthma.
    http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=27
  • tjnewbatt83
    tjnewbatt83 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Repeat as many days and weeks as you have to and build your confidence as you build your stamina...you can do it!
  • soliver138
    soliver138 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Dont be discouraged...I've been working on C25k for months and I'm only at week 4. Do your best. Do what you can and each run try a little more even if that means running for 5 seconds longer than last time. Go at your own pace. Repeat weeks as many times as you need. You will eventually get there. Best of luck :)
  • Pandapotato
    Pandapotato Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Also, plenty of people totally WALK the whole 5K at 5K events! If you're not moving much at all now, make walking 5K a goal and slowly walk faster and faster.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    If she has asthma so severe that it feels like a crushing weight and it's causing her physical pain, the proper course of action is to give up the activity that hurts you that badly.

The pain that I feel is not normal asthma pain/wheezing. My problem is that I have avoided any cardiovascular activity for my entire life. When I was young and my metabolism was high and I was doing martial arts I was still relatively in shape. Now, I am SO out of shape and find myself winded after chasing my toddler up the stairs. I know I need to work on my cardiovascular endurance.

Wait, so it IS excuses then? Forgive me for asking as I'm easily confused.

Actually, don't answer because it doesn't matter. Because if your going to do this, forget what you were in high school, forget what you were last week, forget who you were when you woke up this morning. The only thing to focus on is what you're going to be doing today, tomorow, next week and next year. That's a lot ton plan out and you won't have any extra time left over to have regrets over what might have been. Focus on your plan, think about your plan, talk about your plan.

If that plan is being a runner and you're physically capable of running without pain/injury, that's great. Go for it. But if your health prevents you from running, so be it. Tons of people lost weight and got fit without running, including myself. Let's make a thread about what you can do, want to do, and will do, and we can talk all day about that. If there's a thing that you can't or won't do, there's not enough time to worry about it.

Good luck
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    If you are scared of running and feel you cannot even briskly walk, why not start there? Spend this one hour you have walking. Slowly, at whatever pace makes you happy. If it is slower than average, who cares? You will start moving, and it will get easier.
  • sparkles212
    Options
    So much negativity, you've already failed by believing that you cannot do this. You need to find some motivation and believe in yourself....then you'll be able to do it.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,262 Member
    Options
    You don't have to run but if you really want to concentrate on just plain walking until your fitness levels pick up. Also seek medical advice first. Good luck
  • EmmaFitzwilliam
    EmmaFitzwilliam Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I have exercise induced asthma. Functionally, what that ends up feeling like is when I exert myself, my lung capacity diminishes by about a third.

And even though I was 30 pounds overweight at the time (and, to be brutally honest, the most fit I had been in at least 5 years, and maybe 10), I ran a 5k three years ago. I didn't have a great time, and I walked as well as ran, but you can do it. You don't have to run the whole time.

Couch to 5k is very popular; you might also try your own personal progressive marathon where you log all of your training miles up to 23, and then complete a 5k (whether an official one, or on your own).

Or you can join a relay for life team - as I understand it, some of those don't even require running.

A friend of mine is generally sedentary, though she will amble for shopping and Disneyland. This past Sunday she strolled just shy of two miles in 42 minutes. Not quite a 5k pace, but she's not training for a 5k - she just kept moving.

Instead of worrying about your pace, embrace it. Get yourself the t-shirt that reads "I run like a turtle lumbering through a peanut butter swamp, but I run." One day, if you want to, you will run farther and faster, and the t-shirt will be a great joke.
  • hoyalawya2003
    hoyalawya2003 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    I have asthma. I have run/walked two 5ks and aiming to do a half marathon this year.

My tips--make sure you have a rescue inhaler. Use it prior to working out at first, it really does help with the feeling of an elephant sitting on your chest.

Do a progressive walking routine prior to c25k. I found one at kaiser permanente, and did a 5k walk. then I started c25k.

Be consistent. I don't make gains on the weeks I only run once or twice. Sometimes I even backslide. It happens. Dust yourself off and keep going.

Some days will suck. They do for every runner, asthma or no. Chalk it up to an off day and get back out there.

If you do c25k (which I highly recommend), you might need longer than 5 minutes to warm up. Don't be afraid to experiment a little.

It also may take a lot longer to complete--repeat days if you need to, as many times as you need to. But balance that with pushing forward--running is a mental challenge as well as physical. YOU CAN DO IT!

Feel free to message and/or friend me. I try to support my running buddies!
  • FenTiger89
    FenTiger89 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    My husband and I have participated in 9 5Ks, the most recent being this past Saturday. We walk 85% of the course with a little jogging thrown in. My first time was 55 minutes and change. I finished at 48 minutes this weekend. My goal by the end of the year is 40-45 minutes. We walk a good bit during the week, albeit on the treadmill at the gym, and when the weather permits we get outside on the weekends. My husband also has exercise induced asthma and hits his inhaler before we get started.

TL:dr - go at your own pace. I have just as much fun "wogging" (walking/jogging) a 5K as those who run them. A 16.50 mile is faster than sitting on the couch.
  • mochapygmy
    mochapygmy Posts: 2,123 Member
    Options
    Get cleared by a doctor as you are already planning to do. In the meantime consider starting with yoga, especially one where there is an emphasis on the flow of breath. Perhaps hatha or a beginner yoga. You can do yoga at a gym, studio or at home, anywhere really.

You took the first step by posting here now the most important thing in the next step. You will get there by focusing on one small step at a time.
  • ahealthiercara
    ahealthiercara Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I did a sort of couch to 5k program but it was an in person class that also taught me how to stretch, proper form, etc. I, too, suffer from the 'too much too soon' syndrome so having this program helped a lot. If you have a 'Fleet Feet' store where you are, they run a 'No Boundaries' class that is great. I completed the program, ran pretty slowly, and still at the end was doing run/walk intervals but it felt great to finish a race. I took the class again with the goal of increasing my speed and unfortunately took too much for granted and injured myself and was unable to finish the class. I was only a few weeks away from the race and I'd improved so much but I pushed it too hard and didn't stretch enough and I'm still healing from bursitis in my hip a few months later. Hoping to get back to running again when the hip is fully healed. Take it slow, but be steady with it and you'll see progress.