African Peanut Stew (crockpot)

Options
profgal43
profgal43 Posts: 115 Member
This vegetarian stew was a recent Recipe of the Day on this site. I modified it slightly and cooked it in my crockpot. I cooked the onions, garlic, jalapeno peppers, and ginger and curry powder to soften in the canola oil, then added the broth to loosen it all up and stirred in the peanut butter to incorporate then added it to my crockpot with the rest of the ingredients. I cooked on medium/low for six hours. I also added one can of lite coconut milk (upping the calories slightly) in place of 1 cup of broth and red pepper flakes.
This is soooo yummy and so filling and nutritious for less than 350 calories with the rice.

African Peanut Stew

Ingredients

2 cups brown basmati rice (certified gluten-free if necessary)
1 tablespoon high-heat cooking oil (such as sunflower, safflower, peanut or grape seed oil)
2 yellow onions, cut into 1/2-inch dice
6 cloves garlic, minced
3 jalapeño chile peppers, seeded and finely chopped
2 tablespoons curry powder
1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
2 cups boxed or jarred chopped tomatoes, with juices
1/3 cup smooth or chunky all-natural unsalted peanut butter
1 3/4 pounds sweet potatoes, cut into 1-inch dice
4 cups shredded green or red Swiss chard
Sea salt, to taste
1/3 cup coarsely chopped fresh cilantro
Directions

Cook rice according to package directions; cover and set aside.

Meanwhile, in a 5- to 6-qt saucepan or stockpot, heat oil on medium. Add onions and sauté, stirring occasionally, until tender, 5 to 7 minutes. Add garlic, jalapeños, curry powder and ginger and sauté for 1 more minute.

Stir in broth, tomatoes and peanut butter. Add potatoes and chard and increase heat to medium-high. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer and cook until potatoes and chard are tender, uncovered, 12 to 14 minutes. Season with salt.

Divide rice among serving bowls. Top with stew and cilantro.

Nutrition Information

Serves: 10 | Serving Size: 1/2 cup cooked rice + 1 cup stew + 1/2 tablespoon cilantro

Per serving: Calories: 305; Total Fat: 7g; Saturated Fat: 1g; Monounsaturated Fat: 3g; Cholesterol: 0mg; Sodium: 608mg; Carbohydrate: 55g; Dietary Fiber: 8g; Sugar: 11g; Protein: 10g

Nutrition Bonus: Potassium: 875mg; Iron: 20%; Vitamin A: 318%; Vitamin C: 33%; Calcium: 10%

Replies

• profgal43
    profgal43 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    do you have any other recipes you have successfully modified for the crock pot?