Starting over... Again

Options
I'm not sure why, when, or how my will to get healthy and in shape was lost. I think it was long gone months before my family and I made our trek cross country. (We moved 2300miles away from home in Washington, all the way to Indiana 4months ago, today.) I make meager attempts to log my meals, was hell bent on replacing my broken elliptical (and did) with even more meager attempts at working out. Never consistent, never truly serious. I, living in this fast food nation, want instant results, and when I start making any sort of progress on the scale, I some how manage to make myself fail. I find excuses not to work out (all though working nightshift seems to be a pretty good one, according to everyone else.) I allow myself a splurge night, which suddenly turns to several dinners of pizza, steak and shake, and some other ghastly fast food meal. The worst thing is that I am a damned nurse, and know better, and yet, I continue this crappy cycle, and I feel like crap. I am exhausted, my gut bugs, me, I don't even fit comfortably behind the wheel of my dang car! So, now I am just pissed, and ready to try again. I need motivation, and I need people to help keep me accountable and on track. Thank you for reading my rant.

Replies

• JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,222 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Welcome! You can do this. :) It just takes honesty with yourself and determination. Your motivation has to come from within. Are you ready to lose weight and get healthier? You've got this! :flowerforyou:
  • sunflower0624
    sunflower0624 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Wow! You sound just like me. I have such good intentions when I get up in the morning and then lose it somewhere between home and work (12 minutes away) LOL! I feel determined this morning and I am already at work! WOOHOO!!! A whole 2 hours of success this morning. Feel free to add me as a friend and maybe we can keep each other motivated. Good luck with your new start!!!
  • BringingSherriBack
    BringingSherriBack Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    This sounds just like me lately too. I did so good for a long time and managed to drop 147 pounds, but somewhere along the way I stopped eating like I should and put on a few pounds then stopped exercising and put on a few more pounds. No I am back to -125 pounds from my highest weight, but I am not comfortable. Yeah I'm down 125 pounds, but damn I want to be back to where I was before. I want to look better and feel better, but apparently that doesn't keep me motivated to get back on program and get this weight off again. I do well for several days and then it all goes to hell and I just eat whatever I want and so the cycle starts all over again.
    I have even gone as far as considering to pay for the Live the Lifestyle 12 week program so I would have a personal coach to motivate me to get me back on track and help me stay there long enough for the changes to become habit again. But I fear this too would just be a waste of money because I wouldn't stick to it yet again.
    Started off good this morning though. Let's see how I do this time.
  • Sherbear0123
    Sherbear0123 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Hi! I could have written this myself! We can do this!!! (Sending you a friend request)
  • royaldrea
    royaldrea Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Hey,

You need determination and you need to keep yourself on track. Having people saying nice things to you on the internet or shouting at you irl won't make a difference if you're not self-motivated.

When you're ready to make a change, you will put down all the excuses and do it. It sounds like you're almost there. When you get there, I hope you choose a balanced, sustainable path to weight loss and fitness. Find the sexypants link which will be in about every thread on MFP ever and read it hard, then read it again.

I hope all goes well with you, and the other commenters who are struggling to get started - just remember this is your life and you owe it to yourself to live the best way possible.
  • jlp19771
    jlp19771 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    This is so me. I have lost almost 20 lbs in two and a half months but lately my drive has gone down the drain. I have got to find a way to get back on the wagon. Feel free to add me as a friend and we can motivate each other. Good Luck!
  • xShreddx
    xShreddx Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I hear ya....this is my second time around and I had to realize the whole lifestyle thing and not enjoying food was a lost cause. This time, I've added exercise, MFP friends and a reasonable diet that I can live with. Feel free to add me....I post daily.
  • nwindianawalkinggroup
    Options
    What part of Indiana? I'm in NW Indiana.
  • germaic
    germaic Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me as a friend and we can motivate each other. I'm also a nurse and this stressful profession keeps me in a whirlwind where I'm eating from exhaustion, never finding time to track my intake and definitely not drinking enough water. Goal this year to help heal myself…not just my patients.
  • dcarnahan2
    Options
    I am starting over myself it's tough..I am just lazy with my eating if it's fast and convenient than I am all over it..I do better when I keep track..good luck
  • jerimiew
    jerimiew Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    We all have to start anew a time or two ... or twenty. I have been have some success with small challenges. Once I make that challenge, I set a new one. The challenges usually are not lose 2 pound this week, but more like I will go to the gym this many times this week. I promise that to myself. Then if I do not do that, I don't shoot myself, I just make a more realistic challenge the next time. Then I have noticed that I am losing the poundage.
  • mommanurse33
    mommanurse33 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    What part of Indiana? I'm in NW Indiana.

I live southwest of Indianapolis. Moved here 4mos ago and LOVE it!!
  • mommanurse33
    mommanurse33 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I certainly appreciate all the encouragement. I am going to beat this thing! WE are going to beat this!
  • jerseygirl60
    Options
    I know I work 12hr shifts at night in the ER and it is so hard to stay on track you dont know when to eat if you can eat I am really trying to do better bringing in the right foods sometimes I meet my calorie goal and sometimes I do not trying to hang in there!!!!!
  • garnet1981
    garnet1981 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I'm on the southeast side of Indianapolis and work almost in Greenwood. I have been fighting the battle of forcing myself to hit the gym after work and after picking my daughter up. It is so easy to just head home instead of putting in the time. Do you always work the nightshift? I could not do that longterm. Kudos to you for trying to push through.
  • mamanewland
    mamanewland Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    You can do it! I'm a mom of 4 and down 38 lbs so far. If I can do it you can too! Add me as a friend.
  • caramiamom
    caramiamom Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    royaldrea wrote: »
    When you're ready to make a change, you will put down all the excuses and do it. It sounds like you're almost there. When you get there, I hope you choose a balanced, sustainable path to weight loss and fitness. - just remember this is your life and you owe it to yourself to live the best way possible.

What a great quote! thanks for the inspiration