5'5 women, around 140 pounds, how much are you eating?

Options

Replies

• Jkj95
    Jkj95 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'6 and currently about 150. How much I eat really depends on how active I am that day, but my goal is 1550 and what I actually eat usually varies between 1200 and 1700. Some days I'm walking to class, going places with friends and running errands for most of the day and end up eating more and others I just go to work (sedentary job) and eat less. If I work out, I only eat back the exercise calories if I'm really hungry and feel I need the food.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    I'm 42, 5'5", 135ish. Including the exercise calories I eat back, I am losing v-e-r-y s-l-o-w-l-y at 1500-1600 cals a day.
  • Ellaskat
    Ellaskat Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'6, 36, and started at 148 lbs on Jan 10th. I'm now 140. I do eat approximately 1200 a day, though mine averages out over the week, not day to day. I like to move my calories up and down day to day, so I look at the 7 day spread, and am usually between 500-1500 calories under for the week, with MFP suggesting 1200 a day. So I've lost 8 pounds in a bit over 4 weeks; just had TOM when weight spiked 5 pounds - it's now coming back down and I expect to be back to 'normal' tomorrow.
  • mom2ava07
    mom2ava07 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'5 and weighing in a bit more at 155. I'm doing 1200 (down from 167 which was 6 weeks ago) and I'm starting to grow unhappy on 1200 calories. I have my settings at sedentary (have a desk job, and goal to lose 2 lbs per week). I was doing fine. Was feeling great and not hungry, and the more I lose I get hungrier and hungrier and I'm so tired lately I'm struggling to work out. I'm thinking about doing 1400 calories to see how that goes.
  • lwynd002
    lwynd002 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    5'5" and CW is 142 (down from 148+....I stopped weighing myself after this) and I eat between 1400-1800 and exercise 4-6x a week with cardio/weights.. This works for me as I had previously been on a restricted diet...I lost the weight, but it wasn't sustainable.
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'5", around 140, 33, and I eat around 2500 calories a day.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    38, 5'6", ~137lbs, I eat 1700-1900 total calories daily to lose (1/2lb week loss rate--that's 1590 plus I eat all/most additional activity calories from my Fitbit).
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    5 feet 5 inches, 138 currently.

I'm lightly active because I'm on my feet most of the day as a teacher. My "TDEE" is between 1800-1900. I'm eating ~1600 avg right now to lose .5 lb a week. My goal weight is 130. Last time I was 130 I thought I was a bit thin and didn't need to lose any more but I might try to get down to 125. Once I get to my goal I lighten up. Right now if I only ate 1200 calories I would be ravenous.

Last time I lost weight I ate ~1300 and lost .8 lbs a week avg for a 40 pound loss. It took a year to take off the weight. Because I regained ~10 pounds I am counting calories again for awhile until I reach goal again.

Love this thread! I see a lot of us have TDEE in a similar range.

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    onyxgirl17 wrote: »
    5 feet 5 inches, 138 currently.

I'm lightly active because I'm on my feet most of the day as a teacher. My "TDEE" is between 1800-1900. I'm eating ~1600 avg right now to lose .5 lb a week. My goal weight is 130. Last time I was 130 I thought I was a bit thin and didn't need to lose any more but I might try to get down to 125. Once I get to my goal I lighten up. Right now if I only ate 1200 calories I would be ravenous.

Last time I lost weight I ate ~1300 and lost .8 lbs a week avg for a 40 pound loss. It took a year to take off the weight. Because I regained ~10 pounds I am counting calories again for awhile until I reach goal again.

Love this thread! I see a lot of us have TDEE in a similar range.

We have similar stats. I'm taking a break at 138 now though to see if I can recomp. If you thought you were thin at 130, are you shooting for 125 just to have a 5 pound maintenance range?
  • CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    5'5.5" 135lbs, losing on 1200-1500 a day still.

I did have a strange event this month where I unexpectedly lost three pounds instead of one. I hit a new low weight of 137lb (ok, expected and good) and then two days later, it dropped another two pounds (wut?) and stayed there until TOM dragged water back into the mix. This hasn't ever happened and I have been losing weight for nearly 18 months now.

My goal weight is 130 and then my range for maintenance is between 125 and 140.
  • longandpink
    longandpink Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I am 5ft 5 and weigh 178lb's and i eat around 1300 a day. No exercise due to health.
  • pinkbike2ride
    pinkbike2ride Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4" and started at 140 back in September. I've lost 15 pounds so now at 125 with 5 more to go. I usually eat in 1270 range, don't eat my 280-350 exercise calories back. If I get hungry, I will eat 100 extra until hunger goes away, but that happens maybe once a week. Very sedentary other than some walking/running maybe 3-5 times a week if weather cooperates. If I remember to do it, some free weight arm stuff. My TDEE to maintain with no exercise is 1470s. This checks out with my fitness tracker too. I am not a fitness beast like I thought, I guess! LOL.

Even though I was flat uncomfortable eating so much, I did experiment with eating more for 2 months in Nov-Dec, about 1480-1670 calories and began gaining. I'm not here to gain, but it was good to see real life personal TDEE for me. Now I'm back to the 1270 calories, sometimes eating more if I'm hungry from exercise- only losing half a pound a week on average so not getting crazy with the weight loss. I've also taken the additional step of having blood work done before I started and also recently, and all is well. One reason I did it was to check my protein and vitamin levels, since I don't like meat. I'm nearly 46 years old and I haven't been this weight since early 30s! I was 115 pounds during my 20s.

Everyone seems different in their calorie needs, age, hormones, etc. so if you are hungry, experiment with upping the calories. I also find giving alcohol the boot helps tremendously.

• pinkbike2ride
    pinkbike2ride Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    You are my hero! I am 5-5 and currently coming down from my lifetime high weight of 147 with a target to get back down to my "30's weight" of 126-128. I am 52 and pretty active. Thanks for the inspiration.
  • chele402
    chele402 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'6" and 148 - I am eating about 1350 during the week and not eating back my exercise calories. Over the weekend, I tend to go up to 1700 and eat back my exercise calories. I'm losing at a good enough rate for me and definitely not feeling deprived :)
  • JdoubleJ
    JdoubleJ Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    So interesting to see! I'm 5ft 5, 137.5 lbs and having around 1400 cals a day to lose slowly whilst trying to eat more protein and doing weights 2-3 times a week, cardio 1-2 times a week. I gain very easily at over 1800 a day.

Always on the lookout for a new buddy or two if anyone wants to add me?
  • GulfcoastAL
    GulfcoastAL Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    You are my hero! I am 5-5 and currently coming down from my lifetime high weight of 147 with a target to get back down to my "30's weight" of 126-128. I am 52 and pretty active. Thanks for the inspiration.

Awww, thanks. I really appreciate that. It is doable. I've been a homemaker, but about to start a job so hope to get more active in my day to day outside of exercise. It is hard for me to even get in 5000 steps a day, lol.
  • jendpositive
    jendpositive Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    This is my first post on mfp, I read the responses all the time, but I want to join in for support. I'm 5'5 and currently 142 lbs. My weight has jumped around in the last five months and I've gained back 7lbs even though I exercise 6 days a week, cardio and weights. I was on 1200 for 9 months and lost 35lbs over a year and a half. I want to get down to 130, but I'm struggling to lose weight right now and going over my 1350 a day. I feel I need to be constantly hungry in order to lose weight, but that's not sustainable in the long run. Oh yes, I've just given up eating a lot of fruit so hope that helps.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    This is my first post on mfp, I read the responses all the time, but I want to join in for support. I'm 5'5 and currently 142 lbs. My weight has jumped around in the last five months and I've gained back 7lbs even though I exercise 6 days a week, cardio and weights. I was on 1200 for 9 months and lost 35lbs over a year and a half. I want to get down to 130, but I'm struggling to lose weight right now and going over my 1350 a day. I feel I need to be constantly hungry in order to lose weight, but that's not sustainable in the long run. Oh yes, I've just given up eating a lot of fruit so hope that helps.

Hey! I had plans of 130 too. I've stopped for a bit though. Need a break because I was hungry as well. Why don't you try .5 pounds a week? There's no rush. You'll be able to eat more while still seeing the scale drop. You'll lose 8 pounds by bikini time and be really close to goal!
  • KitkatcuteNYC
    KitkatcuteNYC Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I'm 5.5'5 and around 115-119 pounds. I eat around 1600.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'6"/137lbs, 38 years old, and my maintenance calories are ~2100-2200 (lightly active/active walker plus 3x/week strength training). If I wanted to lose (I'm "good" where I'm at for now, though), I'd cut to 1800/1900. I don't like aggressive cuts (I get HANGRY very easily :s and my strength training sucks at any lower of intake).