Smoothies

Options
2»

Replies

• softblondechick
    softblondechick Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    Do not make a blackberry smoothie, the seeds are too annoying.

I use whole oranges in my smoothies, and add water and ice, more fiber, less calories than OJ. and more economical.

Orange
    Frozen banana
    Handful of lettuce
    Vanilla extract
    Scoop of protein powder
    Ice
    Water
  • nicepurple
    nicepurple Posts: 17 Member
    Options
  • nicepurple
    nicepurple Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I used a mini banana, half cup of black coffee or espresso and some milk, blended, creamy banana coffee/latte smoothie to start the day!

For people who could not take milk, use plain soy or almond milk instead, no need for sugar as the banana itself is enough sweet. Less sugar = Less fat.
  • eapple87
    eapple87 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    @FreakinFlabuless‌ love the name! I'll try it but I'll have to sub the banana. I really do enjoy spinach in a lot of foods it's the mixing of fruit and salad that gives me the heebie jeebies.
    @christinev297‌ I love me some tetley! I'm not going to sweat too much over the almond milk, my tea needs a bit of colour. I'm feeling like a very sensual person when it comes to my food after reading some of the responses and my replies.
    @softblondechick‌ going to try the whole orange, that's a great idea!
    @nicepurple‌ I bet that wakes you up in the morning! Never been a coffee drinker and I hate bananas but thanks for the suggestion! Btw purple is my favourite colour :)

Thanks so much everyone. I'm going to get the supplies to make a really awesome smoothie. With chia seeds, pineapple juice, spinach, and whole oranges on the list!

I can probably skip the protein powder because I'm adding the chia seeds, right?
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I only add the protein powder because I struggle to hit my protein most day and I like the taste of it. It's up to you, if you don't need it I wouldn't worry about it.
    1 scoop of my protein powder is 25g protein. 105 calories
    1tbs of chia seeds is around 5-6g protein. 67 calories.

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    You don't have to eat breakfast, if skipping it makes it easier for you, just do that. It's total broscience that having breakfast is healthier.

But a smoothie would have me starving within an hour... too many carbs, not enough fat.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I agree with not having to have breakfast if you don't want.
    As for not filling up on smoothies. Adding a raw egg, some coconut oil, chia seeds and a banana fixes that problem ;)
  • Lynn_babcock
    Lynn_babcock Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I'm just discovering rhubarb for smoothies. I put 80 pounds of the stuff in my freezer last Summer and was worried about using it. Well, now I use 2 cups of rhubarb when I'm making a full blender worth. It's a cheap addition.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I agree with not having to have breakfast if you don't want.
    As for not filling up on smoothies. Adding a raw egg, some coconut oil, chia seeds and a banana fixes that problem ;)

Yeah but... yuck. If I'm going to put stuff in there just to up the calories, I'd rather just have the cooked egg frankly, and not 'waste' calories in too much fruit.
  • RonnieTiajuana
    RonnieTiajuana Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I split this smoothie with my wife 2/5 to 3/5:

2 cups water
    1.5 cups greek yogurt
    2 T flax seeds
    1T coconut oil
    1 medium banana
    1 cup blueberries
    spinach or kale to the top of the vitamix.

You can add more banana for sweetness
  • eapple87
    Options
    I really like eating in the morning now that I can. I felt like I physically couldn't eat in the mornings. I'd wake at 7:00 and wouldn't eat until 11-12, it didn't feel good but eating in the am felt worse. Right now I've maxed out my calories for the day so I'm having a tea and relaxing without the thought of snacking because I'm just not allowed. Basically I'm just really excited to have a plan now. :)

I bought a bunch of stuff for my grown up smoothie and a food scale. Super excited to have one for breakfast!
  • eapple87
    Options
    I just wanted to thank everyone for their suggestions. Here's the smoothie I made today and even though it was green and the texture was pretty gross the flavour was great! I couldn't taste the handful of spinach I put in! Thanks so much :)
    7pot9btg2ecd.jpg