Party Food

Options
LH2011
LH2011 Posts: 176 Member
Having a party on Saturday for my sons communion it will be all niddles and finger food and BBQ stuff which is so tasty and has no portion control any suggestion how I can try not to go to mad??

I should add I am doing raw carrots, cucumbers and celery for the dips but other than that not much heathly stuff!!

Replies

• mike20603
    mike20603 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Had a smiliar situation for us at Easter...we bought a fruit plate and I stuffed myself on watermelon and pineapple...to the tune of about 200 calories :)

Kept me off the cheesecake bites and the brownies all afternnon.

Good luck.
  • lnadeau66
    lnadeau66 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I just did this with my daughter and made it a point to get a fruit platter, a veggie platter, a meat platter with low fat cold cuts, and I put out rolls but opted for an arnolds 100 cal multigrain for my sandwich. I think that I made out ok. Good Luck to You and Congraulations to your son!:flowerforyou:
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    Hungry girl advice! especialy no.2!!!!

Important rules. Here they are...
    1. Don't drink your calories. There's nothing sadder than realizing you just consumed hundreds of calories by sipping a sweet drink... and you're still hungry! For the most part, I look for drinks with no more than 50 calories per cup, and I always check the labels carefully for the total servings per bottle.
    2. The 80/20 rule. I live by it. It means that 80 percent of the time, I eat what I know I should be eating. And 20 percent of the time, I allow myself to stray a bit. It's important to indulge every once in a while... like, maybe, 20 percent of the time!
    3. Don't turn a bad meal into a bad week. So you made a poor food choice. You're human. Don't give up and throw in the towel just because you overate. Jump right back into things at your next meal. No biggie. Truly.
    4. Identify and avoid your trigger foods. These are the foods you can't be trusted around -- the ones where "just a few" turns into WAY too much; the foods that seem to make you hungrier and hungrier. Don't keep these foods in the house. They're too tempting and not worth the trouble...
    5. Don't make excuses -- it's all about being prepared. The Boy Scouts know what they're talking about! If you know you're going out to dinner, check out the menu online so you can plan ahead and make smart choices. And always keep emergency snacks handy -- in your purse, car, desk drawer... wherever you might need them. Then you won't need to make excuses
  • jasmin1310
    jasmin1310 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Maybe eat less and excercise more on Friday and Sunday to balance it out?
  • LillysGranny
    LillysGranny Posts: 431
    Options
    Listen to the people who've suggested you fill up on fruits and veggies before you even look at the rest of the spread! You could also throw some chicken or salmon on the grill, or maybe a veggie burger. I'm not a vegetarian, but some of them really do talste good.
  • TerraGirl17
    TerraGirl17 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Fruit plate, veggie plater, my trainer told me to mix oion soup in with cottage cheese to make a very healthy veggie daip and it was amazing, also can take cottage cheese and mix to make fruit dip
  • Aperyan83
    Aperyan83 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    eat a small healthy/energey filled meal before the party.

You can do a fruit salad: I like to cut up starwberries, grapes, and apples and mix with fat free stawberry yogurt.

Get fat free cream cheese (let it get to room temperature) in a food processor throw in onion, garlic, salt, pepper, fresh parsely/cilantro, bell peppers, and then mix with the cream cheese and you haev your homemade dip! great with low fat melba toast

You can make deviled eggs with low fat mayo or sour cream.

i would say drink lots of water and you can even add lemon, raspeberries, or other fruits to your water.
  • LH2011
    LH2011 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Fruit plate, veggie plater, my trainer told me to mix oion soup in with cottage cheese to make a very healthy veggie daip and it was amazing, also can take cottage cheese and mix to make fruit dip

I am actually doing the Onion Sauce, Cottage Cheese, Low Fat Yog dip myself its been a receipe of my Mum's for years never realised it was heathly so I will stick to that one and add fruit to the menu. Can't promise I won't indulge in a burger from the BBQ but hey life is for living right?? Thanks for all the suggestions there great
  • bethdris
    bethdris Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I woul definately go with a veggie platter and fruit platter. If you have a burger off the BBQ use a lower cal roll or no roll at all. If your having snack foods buy the baked chips. A few tweeks here and there will lower your calorie intake and you can still enjoy! Have fun!!