Help! Not sure where to post this.

Options
Today I had a roll from the bakery but I have no idea how many calories were in it. It got me thinking how do you log things that don't say how many calories are in it? Sorry if this sounds like a really stupid question.

Replies

• Amanda4change
    Amanda4change Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    I usually ask if they have a nutrition label or if they know how many calories in it. If they don't, then I (if at home) weight it, then look it up based on type (such as sourdough) and weight. If you don't have the weight try looking it up based on what info you do have. One item being off occasionally isn't going to derail your progress, just do your best.
  • acmanna
    acmanna Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I try to look at similar things in the database and use a best guess. It can be really hard but I know that the frozen rolls I buy are 160 calories, so if it is the same size at the fresh bakery I will log it like that. If it is a bigger meal I try to go ingredient by ingredient and log it, then add some extra for wiggle room.
  • Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    I simply stopped eating things I cannot log.
  • foxlme
    foxlme Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    It's not a really stupid question at all! I do the same as acmanna- look at a few options in the database and find something that looks close. So if I got a roll from a small mom-and-pop bakery, I might look at how much a roll from Panera or Tim Horton's or something similar is. When you're new, it's often best to OVERGUESS on how many calories something would be, because 9 times out of 10 people who are new to calorie counting will UNDERestimate how many calories are in their food. Good luck!!
  • nylo143
    nylo143 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    That is what I do! Most stuff I eat is made by me or my mom at home, which doesn't have a nutrition label lol so I find something as close as possible and overestimate a bit too. For example, my mom made fresh Afghan bread, I asked her what was in it, found a similar item as a loaf bread in the database and logged it. I don't have recipes logged here so I go ingredient by ingredient for meals.
    I don't eat a lot of stuff with labels so try your best to be accurate !
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    I simply don't eat anything that I don't know the number of calories. If a bakery doesn't know, then I don't eat it. Meals are simple: Just put in the ingredients, then divide them by the number of servings, and MFP figures it all out. Otherwise, you will tend to UNDERestimate the number of calories and scratch your head wondering why you aren't losing weight.