"Like A Girl" Campaign

Options
Maximus
Maximus Posts: 12,256 Member
What do you think of the campaign? Pros? (lots!) Cons? (can't think of any but would love feedback from the women folk)

Think they may try to sign Bruce Jenner as a spokesperson to prove that girls can throw like guys?

Replies

• princesssadie93
    princesssadie93 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Hell yea. I played sports and I'm just as good as any guy. In gym I was always first pick for anything. Even football. Girls are just as good.
  • princesssadie93
    Options
    I might could. Lol
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    I liked it. I think the whole point of the campaign is that don't have to be as good as anyone as long as you're out there having a good crack. Basically get out there and do something and don't give a *kitten* what anyone else thinks
  • princesssadie93
    Options
    About being equal
  • tat2cookie
    tat2cookie Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options
    I loved it. As a mom with 3 daughters I thought it had an excellent message. When did being a girl become such in insult?
  • Lisa1971
    Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
    Options
    Love it!
  • gmallan
    Options
    Maximus wrote: »
    gmallan wrote: »
    I liked it. I think the whole point of the campaign is that don't have to be as good as anyone as long as you're out there having a good crack. Basically get out there and do something and don't give a *kitten* what anyone else thinks

I like good crack

I was wondering whether that expression would translate to American. Us Aussies love our slang. From urban dictionary

Top Definition

   
    have a crack

Aussie slang meaning to 'give it a go'

Aww, that jigsaw puzzle doesn't look too hard... Let me have a crack at it!
  • gmallan
    Options
    Well the expression is "have a crack" which means have a go so "have a good crack" just translates to have a good go. It definitely translates here in Australia
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I've got mixed emotions about it but mostly I dislike it.

I don't need a TV campaign for my four daughters to tell them to be strong like 'girls'. My daughters do awesome things because they are individuals that do awesome things. Their gender does not define or limit them. It creates this feel good voice that all girls or society must some how feel inferior from social pressures until enlightened.

In my household the question poses "what does it mean to run like a girl" has no meaning. No more than "what does it mean to run like someone dressed in blue or human or French or happy." While gender disparity is a thing and all the bad messages do exist - I'm not denying any of that - I don't need it. I expect my daughter to expect themselves to excel in all things that they value in sports or adventure not because they are 'tomboys' or 'girls' but because they take pleasure in pushing themselves.

And it really needed a diminutive term to be used for "women"? There was just a thread on here a few days ago where a guy talked about lifting for 'girls' and got his butt handed for him. What's good for the goose is good for the gander - be consistent about language use.

I think that the same type of message, a positive, fulfilling and engaging one could have been made without the need to set in in opposition to a perceive negative. But then it wouldn't have gotten as much press. Gotta have something to fight against - can't just say:

I am a runner.
    I am ____

or any of the other possible slogans,

Just like I don't need public messages telling my own kids to move more or exercise more.

As a public message? It's fine, if it's what you like. It's emotional and obviously has a lot of motivational aspects. I recognize that.

• ItsMeGee3
    ItsMeGee3 Posts: 13,254 Member
    Options
    I love it! It show that "like a girl" no longer means weak & prissy. Like a girl means total bad *kitten*