Desk job! Need ways to keep off weight

Options
Hi I'm Francine and I work long hours sitting at a desk and I have almost two hours of commute each day. My time is very limited for exercise everyday. I have 3 boys and a husband to take care of. I get home no earlier than 6pm and try to be in bed before 10 in order to function the next day. I'm out the door by 6am for work. What tips do you have to get in some sort of exercise without taking to much time away from my family?

Replies

• ahopson214
    Options
    I have a similar work situation. I commute two hours a day round trip, I have a desk job (8+ hours a day), two girls, and a live in boyfriend. I also am a full time student (online). I also have to be out of the door by 6am and try to be in bed by 10pm. It doesn't leave much time, but I have learned to carve out time. During the day, I use my breaks to take walks around the building and at home I try to stay active with my children (if they're outside on the playground, I'm outside on the playground). My children are young (3 and almost 4) so I take them for wagon rides on the weekend.
  • jazzxdaisy
    jazzxdaisy Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    hey, i have a desk job also, but i'm lucky that i have a little time to squeeze in the gym.
    the only advice i'd give you is have some healthy snacks available at all times. i find that i pick eat a lot more at this job than i ever have done before at any standing/moving around job.
    i always keep some cut up banana or cucumber in small pieces or some raspberries to hand so i can nibble throughout the day without over doing the calories. :) xo
  • jim180155
    jim180155 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    You should be able to find a minimum of 30 minutes three times a week for strength training. You'll have to give up something else to fit it in, but like everyone else, you have 10,080 minutes in a week and 90 minutes is less than 1% of your total.

Along with strength training I'd suggest getting a Fitbit or something like it. It's amazing how many steps you can hit in a day without really trying and without dedicating or allocating fixed exercise periods. I usually get in 10k to 20k steps daily for an extra 500 to 1000 calories burnt.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    If just keeping off the weight is your goal, you can do that through your diet without ever exercising. Exercise is a good idea for other reasons (helps you burn more calories, heart health, etc).

You can exercise with your family? Games like WiiFit encourage group exercise.

Honestly, though? The best thing you could do for yourself and your family is look for a job closer to hope. I've had the 1.5 hr commute each way. It eats your day.
  • amax67
    amax67 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Because you have a desk job does not necessarily mean you have to sit all day.try standing up and walking around when making phone calls,instead of emailing a colleague walk to their desk,try using the stairs more,you will be surprised that you could introduce about 45mins to an hours activities into your day without even thinking about,also give the vending machines a miss by packing a lunch and some healthy snacks,try to get some of your office colleagues on board ,maybe someone to go for a walk with you at lunch time,and if all this fails there's always butt clenches while your sitting at your desk good luck
  • missylectro
    missylectro Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I have a desk job too. There's an app called sworkit and it has a workout specific for the desk job with light exercises. Add me too
  • DianaLovesCoffee
    DianaLovesCoffee Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I take the long way to the bathroom and coffee pot - around the cubicals. Then the long way back. Also every hour or so march in place for about 500 steps. Squeeze your abs and gluts while you are sitting. Maybe a seated bike pedal thing under your desk???
  • crfischer4
    crfischer4 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I'm right there with you. 4 kids at home and my husband. Portion control has been a biggie for me. I nibble on hard to eat foods (granola) and chew gum to satisfy cravings. I have a Garmin Smart watch and it reminds me to move if I haven't in an hour. When it buzzes, I get up and refill my water glass (even if it's not empty)

I also need to move more. I need to get out with the family. It's so cold right now and gets dark here at 5:30. The Wii Fit that Diana mentioned is a great idea!!
    I take the long way to the bathroom and coffee pot - around the cubicals. Then the long way back. Also every hour or so march in place for about 500 steps. Squeeze your abs and gluts while you are sitting. Maybe a seated bike pedal thing under your desk???