Food cravings

Options
I'm having trouble with cravings for junk food. I've been on and off the band wagon and I'm keeping it out of the house, but it's still becoming a bother and eventually I end up getting fast food or a box of candy. And with valentines less than a week away my want for chocolates seems to have escalated.
Are there any tasty meals that can curb that craving for sweet, and leave me feeling full? I'd love some advice and tips. I've been doing this alone, and I'm not great at it.

Replies

• SconnieCat
    SconnieCat Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Allow yourself to have a treat. Work it into your diet where you can. Allowing yourself to have a treat occasionally will - hopefully - prevent yourself from going off the deep-end and falling into a vat of junk food.

Personally, I couldn't imagine a world where I couldn't have fried cheese curds. The horror.
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Is it that you eat more calories when you eat junk food, or is it that you eat it at all? Seriously, I ask because some people (me included) find that fitting a bit into their calories is really useful.
  • notnikkisixx
    notnikkisixx Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I think the best thing to do is to figure out what exactly you're craving in these foods. Is it the salt? Is it a particular chocolate or caramel?

Once you've figured out what the craving is, you can more easily find "healthier" replacements.

On a personal note, I am an absolute candy fiend....like it has to be a whole bag or nothing. The only chocolate I've found that I don't gorge on is really quality dark chocolate, I can usually find myself satiated after 1-3 squares of it.
  • morganlefey86
    Options
    Is it that you eat more calories when you eat junk food, or is it that you eat it at all? Seriously, I ask because some people (me included) find that fitting a bit into their calories is really useful.

When I start eating snacks I have no moderation.
  • morganlefey86
    Options
    I think the best thing to do is to figure out what exactly you're craving in these foods. Is it the salt? Is it a particular chocolate or caramel?

Once you've figured out what the craving is, you can more easily find "healthier" replacements.

On a personal note, I am an absolute candy fiend....like it has to be a whole bag or nothing. The only chocolate I've found that I don't gorge on is really quality dark chocolate, I can usually find myself satiated after 1-3 squares of it.

Usually a mixed between salty and chocolate.
    I have found if I freeze my chocolate I don't eat as much.

• KitkatcuteNYC
    KitkatcuteNYC Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    dark chocolate is really good. Aim for a higher content cocoa percentage. it can satisfy your chocolate craving. A fruit salad is tasty and sweet:)
  • notnikkisixx
    Options

Freezing chocolate! Seriously, that is so smart, I'll have to try it!

For my salty cravings I'll turn to a small portion of crackers or seasoned seaweed strips. I also get horrible spicy cravings so I'll have a small salad with hot sauce added to the dressing.

If you like almond milk, Almond Breeze makes a dark chocolate flavor that is pure magic and very low cal.
  • morganlefey86
    Options

For my salty cravings I'll turn to a small portion of crackers or seasoned seaweed strips. I also get horrible spicy cravings so I'll have a small salad with hot sauce added to the dressing.

If you like almond milk, Almond Breeze makes a dark chocolate flavor that is pure magic and very low cal.

I've never tried seaweed strips or almond milk. I'll put those on my "try new things" list for fridays shopping.
    Does the almond milk leave a bad after taste?
  • notnikkisixx
    Options

I've never tried seaweed strips or almond milk. I'll put those on my "try new things" list for fridays shopping.

I've never been able to detect any weird aftertaste from almond milk, although I haven't had regular milk in years. At the very least it is worth trying once :)

I get my seaweed strips from Costco, they come in nice little packages of about 5 servings each.
  • morganlefey86
    Options

I've never been able to detect any weird aftertaste from almond milk, although I haven't had regular milk in years. At the very least it is worth trying once :)

I get my seaweed strips from Costco, they come in nice little packages of about 5 servings each.

Awe :( I don't have a costco card, I can't afford them. I wonder if the organic section at big y will have it.
  • notnikkisixx
    Options

Awe :( I don't have a costco card, I can't afford them. I wonder if the organic section at big y will have it.

I'm sure you could find them in a regular grocery store or even an Asian market.
  • morganlefey86
    Options

I'm sure you could find them in a regular grocery store or even an Asian market.

thank you so much for that tip