Getting Concerned About Database Numbers

sceck
sceck Posts: 219
edited September 27 in Food and Nutrition
Anyone finding database numbers to be questionable? I know this is a contributing site, and I'm not trying to be critical, but I'm noticing some really blatant miscalculations. Maybe I'm wrong, but I'll use an example. I made a carrot cake with cream cheese frosting. I didn't submit the recipe. So, when I had a piece, I pulled up two different entries to kind of eyeball which I thought would most accurately go into my diary. I knew there should be some fiber, fat, sugar, etc. To my surprise, both of those carrot cakes with cream cheese frosting showed 0 in the sugar category. Now that's just plain strange...I know how much sugar I used in my frosting alone. I don't have the time to install each and every recipe or meal I make, so I rely upon the database, assuming that's why it's there. Any suggestions on how to troubleshoot? I'm still using the database, but really looking at the contributing numbers more carefully. I think the sodiums are often off as well.

Replies

• BECav0602
    BECav0602 Posts: 200 Member
    The database is not always correct but since this is a free site I can't complain. You can mark the information as inaccurate though to warn other members when you find wrong info. You can also confirm accurate information so when I am choosing from multiple items I usually pick the one that has the most confirmations. I do hope they clean up the database soon though...
  • BECav0602
    BECav0602 Posts: 200 Member
    The database is not always correct but since this is a free site I can't complain. You can mark the information as inaccurate though to warn other members when you find wrong info. You can also confirm accurate information so when I am choosing from multiple items I usually pick the one that has the most confirmations. I do hope they clean up the database soon though...
  • creickson
    creickson Posts: 14 Member
    If it is a homemade recipie it is probably not all that accurate. It is also possible the two people that entered the data were only worried about the overall calories and did not enter the amount of sugar.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,294 Member
    Anyone finding database numbers to be questionable? I know this is a contributing site, and I'm not trying to be critical, but I'm noticing some really blatant miscalculations. Maybe I'm wrong, but I'll use an example. I made a carrot cake with cream cheese frosting. I didn't submit the recipe. So, when I had a piece, I pulled up two different entries to kind of eyeball which I thought would most accurately go into my diary. I knew there should be some fiber, fat, sugar, etc. To my surprise, both of those carrot cakes with cream cheese frosting showed 0 in the sugar category. Now that's just plain strange...I know how much sugar I used in my frosting alone. I don't have the time to install each and every recipe or meal I make, so I rely upon the database, assuming that's why it's there. Any suggestions on how to troubleshoot? I'm still using the database, but really looking at the contributing numbers more carefully. I think the sodiums are often off as well.

Some people don't track sugar, so when they enter the recipe themselves, they don't bother adding the sugar. They had to enter their carrot cake, so if you want to make sure it is accurate on the things you want to track, unfortunately you will have to enter it yourself.
  • Becca_007
    Becca_007 Posts: 596 Member
    Here's the latest from Mike regarding the MFP database on his blog.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/mike
  • shellgib
    shellgib Posts: 196 Member
    I always enter my own recipes and divide them into the portions that it makes for me. that is the only way you will get an accurate result for your own recipe. Others may be entering info from other websites they find that don't give those nutritional values, but they may not be concerned with sugar or cholesterol content for example, only total calories. They are working on cleaning up the database on here, but for now, to each is own. You just have to make sure you examine the info before you use it.
  • sceck
    sceck Posts: 219
    Okay, now I get it. Maybe more categories should be required when submitting, just a thought. In the meantime, I'll install more of my own. Thanks for the heads up. In the meantime, where do you mark "inaccurate"? That would be helpful for me.
  • hyde1977
    hyde1977 Posts: 476 Member
    Put it in your recipe tab! :-) I think someone else said that! then when you do make it you can just add it yourself -
    I have tons of my own receipes in the tab that I use daily/weekly. Even if I make my own dips I put it in there and break it into how many servings I get from it-

The tools work amazing if you figure out how to work them. I don't trust alot of the stuff in the database! they put the your own receipe tab their for a reason so I use it alot :-)
This discussion has been closed.