Upper Body Free Weights for Beginners

Options
I have been trying to attend Spin class every day, but I need a workout for my upper body, that doesn't involve my legs. My legs are just about useless after 45 minutes of Spinning anyway. I would like to alternate upper body and core after spin class, but I just don't know what to do when I get to the free weights. Any suggestions?

Replies

• hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    Why not alternate spin and full-body weight days? Bodies improve faster if you don't work the same thing every day.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Focus on the big lifts - bench press, overhead press, rows, dips, pull-ups. There are variations on them too, if you want more variety, but I'd focus my workouts around those key lifts.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    hill8570 wrote: »
    Why not alternate spin and full-body weight days? Bodies improve faster if you don't work the same thing every day.

^ This. Spinning doesn't eliminate the need to do lower body strength training. I'd follow a full body program like NROL or Stronglifts 2-3 times a week.
  • bryandynaxus3
    bryandynaxus3 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Orrr since you say your legs are useless after spin class and you want to work out your upper body and core, don't incorporate leg workouts just yet. I'm probably going to get shot for saying that but my reason is motivation. If you spin for 45 minutes making your legs useless, I feel that adding leg workouts afterwards will pressure towards quitting. After all....slugging through a workout you don't want to do takes a lot of discipline. Especially if the target muscles are too sore to complete exercises. I know for me if I try to work a muscle that isn't fully healed the weight drops along with motivation to continue. Just my 2 cents, open to others opinions too. Perhaps if I'm wrong someone could lead me in the right direction.
  • JimFsfitnesspal
    JimFsfitnesspal Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I support what Andy says because I do alt days lifting and cardio. On my day after lifting lower body, I stopped doing cardio (unless I can do punching bag or other upper body cardio). It did not give my legs the rest they needed.

Im with everyone in that you need to incorporate heavy lifting into your routines... women too. You need a good base of muscle to stay healthy and lose massive amounts of fat. I did stronglifts (fullbody) workouts for awhile and now I am doing push / legs / pull alternating days with cardio. I need the rest due to being 45.

When I started I used http://www.dumbbell-exercises.com/workout-routines/ which gives you some nice basic ones with animations for form. I also used a book called "workouts with weights" by Stephanie Karony that taught me alot of the basics.

Whatever you decide to do, make sure you lift HEAVY. You need to build muscle.
  • I really liked this book when I did research for myself years ago...I'm sure there are lots more but I found this to be very helpful. It was at my library. It was old when I used it but I really agreed with a lot of stuff it said. Seems like it's out of print but your library may have it.

http://www.amazon.in/Strength-Training-Women-Willye-White/dp/0873227522
  • stif9
    stif9 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    jacksonpt wrote: »
    Focus on the big lifts - bench press, overhead press, rows, dips, pull-ups. There are variations on them too, if you want more variety, but I'd focus my workouts around those key lifts.
    - this