Newbie who isn't starting off well

Options
Hi! My name is Karen, and according to my last 3 days of food entries, I WILL WEIGH MORE IF I CONTINUE TO EAT THE WAY I HAVE BEEN. I just recently lost my job, and am trying to eat healthy, get a bit more excercise, etc. I feel like I'm losing the battle before it starts.

Replies

• mlemonroe2
    mlemonroe2 Posts: 603
    Options
    It's an adjustment period. Give yourself time to feel it out and see what works for you. It takes time to lose weight so go slow, experiment with calories and exercise and see what your body responds to the best. Good luck!
  • stefraab
    stefraab Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Just take a deep breath and learn a lesson from your diet so far. Look at what you've been eating and why you might gain weight. My first couple days I just ate normally so that I could see where my problems were. Adjust your diet accordingly and learn from your mistakes :-)
    Don't panic!
  • ClarkMer
    ClarkMer Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    You will adjust, don't worry :) Stress might be stunting your weight loss to a point
  • Fr4z
    Fr4z Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Stick with it Karen, as clearly it has been made harder with your job loss but once you start shedding the pounds you will feel so much better physically and psychologically. If you can incorporate a bit of exercise into your every day life that will help. I can understand to a degree as I lost a load of weight, put it back on and have joined this site to rid myself of the excess once and for all. :-)
  • capricorn144
    capricorn144 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Welcome:flowerforyou:
    Are you following the calories suggested in the food diary for you? If you eat less food (calories=energy/fuel) than you burn off just doing your normal activites (more with exercise) you should lose weight.

I lose weight without exercising just because I am eating 1350 cals per day....as opposed to the old me with out of control portion sizes and was probably packing away 4000 cals a day.

recheck your portions, weigh and measure your food and try planning your meals at the start of the day and doing your diary as your GUIDE for the day.

good luck.
  • erinhale
    erinhale Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Take a deep breathe and remember your weight didn't get put on over nioght and surely won't be taken off over night either. Also, stess can be a biggy when trying to lose weight. Try to avoid emotional eqating and preplan out your meals. My blog has a lot of free advise and workouts you may want to check out.
  • KayakAngel
    KayakAngel Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I'm sure life is stressful right now, but to me it sounds like you've taken the right attitude - not working now, having to face change, fine, I'll start getting healthy too! This could be a time of great opportunity and endless possibilities! As for using MFP, nobody starts out an expert. I think everyone starts and, as they learn, they make adjustments in their diet and activity level. You eventually find a combination that works for your lifestyle. I've been using it for 3 wks, and I'm finally getting the hang of it nutritionally and beginning to lose weight. Keep with it! Good luck finding the balance! :smile:
  • R_is_for_Rachel
    R_is_for_Rachel Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    hi, what are your weekly goals? i have to say that i didn'y jump in at the deep end -started in the shallows with just 1lb a week goal. This has put my calorie goal at 1600 which is easier than,say if i decided to go fro a 2lb a week goal.
    hope this is helpful