looking for dog loving friends

Options
I was hoping to find more friends who are motivated by their dogs and use their dogs as exercise! My two doberman are in training for dog sports and as a potential working search and rescue dogs. Keeping them in top shape means I have to get into and keep in top shape too! Feel free to add me so we can share any new exersice or workouts that you do that incorporates your doggie buddy too!

Replies

• corbett586
    Options
    I'm a dog lover too!!! I can't really say I use my dogs as exercise although I get a fair amount of it looking after them lol. When the snow goes I should get more dog-involved exercise once I get back to training them but for now it's just once a week and the odd little bit of work in the basement. I'm not big on exercise but I need to drop some weight and am watching my calories and "house" walking for now. It's a chore right now to get in my daily step goal so I'm looking forward to getting some proper walks outside and I'll take a dog or two with me every time.
  • mhausler93
    mhausler93 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I like to take my pup out jogging with me. He's only 6 months, so he's just now starting to jog with me, but I was walking him daily before. With him being a large breed the vet said not to have him jog until about 6 months to ensure there's no damage done to his growing body. But he loves going out and I love having him with me!
  • corbett586
    Options
    What breed is your pup? We have a Newfie. I know what you mean about being careful with them when they're young. I kept the weight on ours down until she was 18 months and then slowly put it on her and no strenuous exercise until she was a year. She's 8 or 9 now, 180 pounds, and completely sound. My Border Collies you couldn't put weight on or slow them down no matter what you did when they were pups.
  • Pupslice
    Pupslice Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I love all the dogs but I don't really use my dog for exercise, she's a chiweenie puppy and weighs less than one of those 5-pound hand weights lol! However once she's older we'll be going for lots of walks in the park!
  • lmr0528
    lmr0528 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I have 2 furbabies.. a Lab/Dane mix and a Boxer/Pit mix. Over the summer I tried taking 1 of them out running with me but neither of them ever got the idea how it worked. They were constantly crisscrossing across the sidewalk or just stopping dead to smell something. It's easier to go alone!! But I'd love to get them trained to walk/run well on a leash, I just don't know if I have the patience to do so!
  • sswanl
    sswanl Posts: 30
    Options
    I can absoultely relate to not taking them running until their growth plates close! We actually had x-rays done to make sure my female's were closed before we starting asking her to jump over obstacles and doing runs longer then a mile.

And I can totally relate to the cross crossing and stopping too. My 7 month old male still hasn't figured out that if he jogs at a steady pace I will not accidently step on him or slam into him. They will figure it out if you start off slow and definately have patience.

We started doing something fun for exercise, I put the dog into a down, toss a ball and then race the dog to the ball. LOL, I never win, but my dogs love racing and it give me some good practice on sprints.
  • kittycatsinunderpants
    Options
    I love to go for walks and hikes, but often feel weird aimlessly cruising the neighborhood. So, three weeks ago when I fell in love with a wet, black nose at the local shelter, I imagined all the nice long strolls to come. The only problem is, she is a Pekingese-Pomeranian. Having never owned a smaller dog before she is Pekingese/ it never occurred to me that her little legs would wear out after just eight blocks! Her belly is so low to the ground she gets soaked from morning dew and picks up every sticker and hitch-hiker. I would never trade her though, when I take her out for those eight short blocks I feel so proud that she's my dog. It's funny, I always thought doggie strollers were annoying, but now I'm considering getting one!
  • proudjmmom
    proudjmmom Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I have 2 Labrador Retrievers. The younger one (puppy of the older one) is my walking/hiking buddy. She goes everywhere with me. When she was first born I wasn't so active, but when I became active she LOVED my new activity. I like to do a lot of hiking on the hills around my community, she is always up for the challenge, her momma not so much. She keeps me company on my hike and is a wonderful protector. I am not an active logger anymore (been in maintenance for a year), but I am around the boards.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I have 2 dogs but neither are exercise partners. One is very, very elderly and small and the other is also not a good choice to exercise with.
    It is awesome for those who can exercise with their dogs though.
  • nancy22870
    Options
    I have 2 furbabies.. a Lab/Dane mix and a Boxer/Pit mix. Over the summer I tried taking 1 of them out running with me but neither of them ever got the idea how it worked. They were constantly crisscrossing across the sidewalk or just stopping dead to smell something. It's easier to go alone!! But I'd love to get them trained to walk/run well on a leash, I just don't know if I have the patience to do so!

• lseed87
    lseed87 Posts: 1,110 Member
    Options
    Toy poodle, border collie and lab chow husky mix. Also have a cat. I don't think the poodle helps much with exercise though.
  • Lindsay_the_great
    Lindsay_the_great Posts: 209 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I have a rat terrier who loves long walks but he's not much of a runner. He's really more my husband's dog anyway. He won't mind me if dh is around. I dream of a female Rhodesian ridgeback as soon as we move into a place with a yard. I need a running companion who will protect me and (hopefully) be my dog instead of his. :wink:
  • Bullyfan2011
    Bullyfan2011 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    English Bull Terrier, SPUDS dog ;)
  • ZebsterBC
    ZebsterBC Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I have an 8yr old border collie who's my hiking buddy on weekends. He's a flyball (retired) and frisbee dog. That's awesome that you're working toward doing SAR with them.
  • Jonealex63
    Jonealex63 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    My two small dogs are the only reason I can be consistent with walking. One has a dislocated hip and arthritis so 3 30 minute walks a day for him and the other one does that plus a 30 minute run alongside me on a bike! Would like to run with her some day!
  • nagennif918
    nagennif918 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have 3 beagles, 8 6 & 2 years old. They are the best training partners I've had. Each love to be walked individually.
  • angel388
    angel388 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    mvbdlouchahm.jpeg
    These are my fur babies. I walk my younger pup, but she is such a pain in the car so I dont do the big walks with her as much as I should.
  • Peacefulhooligan
    Peacefulhooligan Posts: 43 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    My two dogs (Choccy and Black Labs) love the fact I am trying to get fitter, every time I come in from work or move around the house they think they are going for a walk lol