Being called a troll

Options
Sorry, I tried to create this in the ''technical help/need support'' board but I couldn't find the create button.

People keep accusing me of being a troll because they don't like my threads. They have said it after I said I had Aspergers, and for other random things.

I find this offensive and annoying. Is there anything I can do about this? (besides possibly hardening up?)

Can I report someone for calling me a troll?

Replies

• Lindsay_the_great
    Lindsay_the_great Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Yeah I've had posts marked as spam just because someone didn't agree with me. I'm sure the moderators around here have to wade through a lot of that nonsense. Don't take it personally. Some people are just party poopers.
  • xstephnz
    xstephnz Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I don't understand, I am honest and genuine. Why do people throw around the word troll? It loses its meaning when it's used so often.

It seems you can't stand up to people without getting into trouble.
  • RekindledRose
    RekindledRose Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    There used to be a way to add people to your ignore list, and then you could just not see what cr*p the posted, but that feature is gone. Don't worry about them. They're not worth the agony.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    If you're constantly being called a troll, I would look into your own behavior before anything else.
  • xstephnz
    Options
    DopeItUp wrote: »
    If you're constantly being called a troll, I would look into your own behavior before anything else.

I haven't done anything wrong. The mods have told me off for one thing I've posted, and that's it. I have been on plenty of other forums, and people don't complain about me there.
  • Barbs2222
    Barbs2222 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Here's the way I see it. If a poster is asking a question just answer it, but only if you have something positive to say. For instance it seems like the biggest fight's on here are about "bad food", while I know there are things that won't pass my lips because of my own personal reasons I never try to tell someone that "I'm right, your wrong" don't eat it because it comes down to CICO for weight loss. Everyone has a different opinion and we have to respect that. It's the op's choice to learn from it or dismiss it.
  • xstephnz
    Options
    Barbs2222 wrote: »
    Here's the way I see it. If a poster is asking a question just answer it, but only if you have something positive to say. For instance it seems like the biggest fight's on here are about "bad food", while I know there are things that won't pass my lips because of my own personal reasons I never try to tell someone that "I'm right, your wrong" don't eat it because it comes down to CICO for weight loss. Everyone has a different opinion and we have to respect that. It's the op's choice to learn from it or dismiss it.

I agree with you
  • donnamcnulty
    donnamcnulty Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    xstephnz wrote: »
    Sorry, I tried to create this in the ''technical help/need support'' board but I couldn't find the create button.

People keep accusing me of being a troll because they don't like my threads. They have said it after I said I had Aspergers, and for other random things.

I find this offensive and annoying. Is there anything I can do about this? (besides possibly hardening up?)

Hi! Nice to meet you! My son also has Aspergers! I would love to be friends with you!
  • xstephnz
    Options

Hi! Nice to meet you! My son also has Aspergers! I would love to be friends with you!

Thanks. How old is your son?
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I've learned to ignore the snarkiness. Just put your thick skin suit and grown up pants on before posting anything and you'll be good :+1:
  • uconnwinsnc1
    uconnwinsnc1 Posts: 902 Member
    Options

A lot of people can be nasty. You really do have to just ignore them.
  • jazzy550
    jazzy550 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    DopeItUp wrote: »

I haven't done anything wrong. The mods have told me off for one thing I've posted, and that's it. I have been on plenty of other forums, and people don't complain about me there.

Xstephnz, boards like this have a gang mentality! Just friend some people and don't engage the ones who try to start crap. Put them on ignore! You can friend me; I need friends!
  • DarcG
    DarcG Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Filtering things like that can be hard. Remember they don't know who you are. We can tell you not to let it get to you but that's only words. Trick them and say thank you back to their rude comments. Or if you can, move right by it and concentrate on something positive. You are not a troll and aspergers is a small piece of you. It's not who you are. People don't understand that. It's like calling a lady who is over weight the fat lady in description. Over weight is only a small characteristic.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    I haven't done anything wrong. The mods have told me off for one thing I've posted
    In 73 posts? Wow.
    I don't think I've been dinged once. Or called a troll.

But if it's any consolation, SideSteel got called a troll the other day.
    :grinning: That's amusing. I'm guessing it was by some newbie.
  • donnamcnulty
    donnamcnulty Posts: 12 Member
    Options

Thanks. How old is your son?

He's 14! Absolutely awesome! !
  • Train4Foodz
    Train4Foodz Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Hey there,
    It's always best to rise above any 'name calling' and report any such incidents to the moderation team by using the report feature found on each and every post.

I would also like to request that this post be kept on topic and supportive, unfortunately posts such as this are a hotbed for arguments and bad feeling.

If anybody feels unable to add anything to this topic that would be beneficial or supportive of the original poster, please move on to a post that holds more interest to you.

Discussion of warnings or moderator action towards you should be kept from the forum, if ever you are unhappy with any such action you should contact @Olivia or any other member of the MFP Staff team directly in relation to this.

This post will continue to be monitored and should it become 'out of hand', it is subject (as with all posts) to be moderated and/or closed then deleted at any point.

Wishing you all the best with all your goals!

Adam, MFP Greeter
  • sheldonklein
    sheldonklein Posts: 854 Member
    Options

I read 2 posts in which you were called a troll and I'm pretty sure that in both cases the was a sincere belief that you were a troll, I.e., an insincere poster tryng to mislead and provoke. If I were you, I'd try to figure out why I had that effect on people.
  • xstephnz
    Options
    You can't go around accusing people of things without proof!

Someone called me a troll because they didn't think I had been using fitnesspal or tracking my calories. I could have been using another site, or tracking in a personal diary for all they knew! They didn't even ask. And they assumed I hadn't tracked anything today because they didn't see anything in my diary. If they had flipped a page forward, they would have seen that I'm actually living in New Zealand and am therefore a day ahead of most users.

*Frustrated*

I didn't come on these boards to be called names and abused. I am sincere when I post here. You should treat others how you want to be treated and assume the best from people. I am really losing my patience today. Aside from that, I've been posting short replies from my phone because I had an appointment today and was not at my computer, instead of replying to individual people, so people have accused me of not reading through all the replies (I did, actually) or tried to make an idiot out of me. I'm sick of it.
  • hangnail666
    hangnail666 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Reporting this for spam* lol jk srs not srs
This discussion has been closed.