Thin everywhere but my stomach....

Options
So, I'm 5ft2 and 19 years old. I am petite everywhere but my stomach, I have no issues with my body apart from my stomach...I actually like my legs (which I know is rare!) My body fat percentage is 25%?

I need to shift ideally 3 inches off my stomach in 6 weeks, until then, the bikini is NOT coming out!

I go to the gym 3 times a week and as I am quite light and only small I find it hard to burn hundreds upon hundreds of calories. I do go for regular walks/try to run once a week and burn calories through other activities.

I stick to 1200 calories a day and rarely eat back many of my exercise calories. I also wonder if my daily fat/carb/sugar etc intakes are set to the wrong figures? I never go over the fat/carbs..sometimes over the sugar levels but nothing drastic I don't think!

Is there any gym workout or general advice anyone can give me to get these inches GONE?!

Thank you :smile:

Replies

• Janworkingitout
    Janworkingitout Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I would like to know the answer to this question as well!
  • Pinkdestiny2
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel! Everything is in proportion except my stomach, bad times! I'm probably stating the obvious when I say stick to stomach toning exercises, you should flatten it eventually. Good luck!
  • kje2011
    kje2011 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    bump
    Cardio - I have the 6wk6pk from Jillian M, but I take turns with other dvd's too.
    Situps, and core exercises.
  • anghol
    anghol Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi Helen, I have exactly the same problem as you. I'm 34 and have been like this since I was a teenager. Only time I've been happy with my stomach is when I Iost loads of weight due to stress but then I had no bum or legs!! Since stopping smoking a couple of years ago I have put a stone on and my stomach is now bigger than ever and I have a muffin top! Please let me know if you find an answer! Angela
  • kaleas
    kaleas Posts: 200
    Options
    I have struggled with this incredibly. I'm 22 and 5'4. I'm active and exercise regularly and at 130, am a healthy body weight that I'm trying to tone. But this stomach! No matter how much work I'd put in, it would always bulge out! So here's some advice. Twice in my life I've had a flat stomach.

When I stopped eating for a few months out of depression and dropped a ton of weight. Being 115 and a shrinking stomach that couldn't hold food meant that my stomach was flat. I was happy with my physical body, but not my mental self. This is NOT the way to accomplish it.

Now, slowly. I've been doing the 30 Day Shred which incorporates ab muscles. I run and do the elliptical, making sure to keep good form and tighten my abs. This helps to strengthen your overall core. Stand up straight! Tighten your abs when you walk around. This will help give the illusion and also work them out all the time. Also, watching what you're eating. I cut back on my granola bars and daily sandwiches and slowly my belly started to come down. Sodium bloats you. So does eating large amounts of food. So keep your meals small and frequent, keeping your stomach from having to stretch, and you should be able to whittle away your stomach!
  • marianne_s
    marianne_s Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    Have any of you guys tried Turbo Jam or Turbo Fire?

I only suggest this because every boody in her DVDs have crazy abs...! It's cardio with a great workout for the abs, without having to do just crunches....

I do Turbo Jam and I feel it working my abs & obliques... plus I've lost 10 inches of my waist since the beginning of the year.
  • BflSaberfan
    BflSaberfan Posts: 1,272
    Options
    Just curious how much you weigh? they say you have to burn the fat to get your stomach to be flatter - but if you dont have much to lose I'm wondering if you are just bloated? Maybe a change in your diet would help?
  • Beebs33
    Beebs33 Posts: 262
    Options
    I spoke with a personal trainer and nutritionist and I was told I needed to incorporate less fruits and more veggies with my exercise. And also to eat less almonds:) I just started this week with my new plan but I already feel better. Stomach isn't flat yet but I have confidence that my issue was my food intake for the most part! I am also exercising less because I was burning too many calories and I felt hungry a lot.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    since you don't have much to lose you should set your goal at 0.5lbs/week and if you don't already start strength training (weights). You should also eat back your exercise calories. The less you have to lose the smaller your caloric deficit should be, this, along with strength training, will ensure you don't lose muscle while you are trying to lose fat. If you don't eat enough and don't strength train you will most likely lose muscle along with fat, not what you are trying to do.
  • SoFancySoBlessed
    SoFancySoBlessed Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    The Insanity Ab Cardio routine helped me take 2 inches off my mid section....it is intense. Still working on getting the tummy I want but I try and do the dvd 2-3 tiems a week in between my running, walking, biking and all the other stuff i do! Make it fun! :tongue:
  • pjbercot
    pjbercot Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I have always been told that a flat stomach is more diet than exercise assuming you are a healthy and active person. I would check with a nutritionist and see what they recommend for your diet as a whole.
  • efokken
    efokken Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Nutrition and cardio, eventually the tummy should go down.
  • AndrewLD
    AndrewLD Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Interval training will help shred excess fat. Also incorporate weight training. The more muscle you put on your body, the more calories you burn just from having the muscle.

Like others have said, make sure you are not under eating. This is very very common. If you are already working with a caloric deficit, you must put the calories that you burned back into your system. Your body needs to recover.

Also, don't just focus on working your abs, like some folks have mentioned. YOU CANNOT SPOT REDUCE. Your body loses fat where it wants to. Some people lose it in their stomach first, others elsewhere...

But most importantly (going to repeat myself) you MUST put back the calories into your body that you have burned, IF you are working in a caloric deficit. You can end up losing muscle mass this way. Which is NO BUENO.

Hope this helps.
  • apriltrainer
    apriltrainer Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Work on POSTURE. If you have bad posture your belly will seem to stick out, Some crazy diet and or extra exercise won't fix a tummy sticking out if it's bad posture. Also sodium intake. Watch that.Could be bloat.
  • clambert1273
    clambert1273 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    3 year old topic....
  • Fentyman
    Fentyman Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Cardio!!!!