Life after Gastric Bypass

Options
I have surgery Oct 2014 weighing in at 319 I currently weigh 247. I've been having a lot of trouble getting my calories and liquids in. I'm still lacking protein does anybody have any good suggestions for a good protein supplement and tricks to get in daily intake of food and water?

Replies

• mandyburton08
    Options
    Hi! I'm new to myfitnesspal and just came across your post so I did a quick internet search. You might try http://bembu.com/high-protein-snacks. You might also try these http://bembu.com/high-protein-low-calorie-foods for more meal oriented foods. The first one seems to be a lot of snack types of food. Maybe these will help with getting calories in too. As far as liquids go, I carry around a refillable water bottle with me during the day (from home to school, etc.) which helps me drink more water. As far as getting in your daily food intake, plan your meals ahead. You could always add what your planning on having to the next day on "myfitnesspal" and see how close everything gets you to your intake goals. Or search for a meal planner app or something. Hope this helps you out some. Great job on the weight loss!
  • patricia184
    patricia184 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Premier shakes (found at Costco). Has been used by Bariatric patients. 30 grams protein, 5 sugar
  • jenny0599
    jenny0599 Posts: 4 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I had gastric bypass 9/22/14. Started at 260, down to 199 today. My surgeon has since retired. I had an appointment with a new bariatric doctor and they told me to stay away from protein shakes, they said they would bulk me up; try to get all protein from foods instead. I am starting to believe this to be true because before my appointment, I was sitting still at 208 for about 2-3 weeks. I have since cut out the shakes and have lost 9 lbs in one week since my appointment on 2/7/15. I also asked how many ounces of water to drink per day, he said to sip water and sugar free drinks and if I was urinating 5-6 times per day, I was doing great. He said to pay attention to bladder function more than anything. I eat tuna, eggs, refried beans, shredded chicken/pork. Mootopia fat free milk has a lot of protein too. Also, he said to eat fat free or low fat and sugar free/low sugar foods. Good luck to you all!!! Great job!!!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I'm doing great, and always hit my protein goals! I had my surgery this past June. Premier Protein was my go-to if I had a bad day. I used my diabetic training and incorporated protein with EVERY meal, including snacks. I have greek yogurt with my cereal in the morning as liquid as you know has too much volume.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/jgnatca/view/mid-day-snacks-722504
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Oh, for water, if you aren't eating you have a water bottle with you. I've just restarted a routine to drink a glass of water as soon as I get up. I have a couple more cups of tea (decaffienated) when I get to work. Then water bottle sip, sip when I am not eating.
  • CoraGregoryCPA
    CoraGregoryCPA Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    I enjoy the Premier Protein Chocolate Shakes 30 grams 160 calories. These can be found at Sam's club too. And I drink EAS Chocolate Fudge ready to drink shakes. One 17 oz bottle has 42 grams of protein and 300 calories. I drink half of those at a time. They seem to keep me satiated longer than the 30 grams of premier protein shake. I do not believe that protein shakes make you bulk up, but it is suggested to get your protein intake from foods rather than shakes so you learn how to eat properly. I'm almost 9 years Gastric Bypass RNY patient. I've gained back 15 unwanted lbs because I stopped following the rules. Remember the rules :)