Huge binge!!

Options
margaret235
margaret235 Posts: 6 Member
edited February 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
Last night I ate about 5000 calories. I had a huge binging problem from about september to the middle of november, and I went and found help, and have only binged once since. I had a horrible day yesterday, and when I came home I literally just ate everything in site for hours ( mostly whole wheat bread with butter and honey, cereal and raisins cookies and pizza) I feel terrible now because after my huge binging session in the autumn, I ending up gaining 12 lbs in 3 months, since i've stopped binging i've managed to lose about 6 pounds and my goal was to lose the other 6 by the first week in march...now because of this binge last night, i've probably gained 2 pounds and severely dented my progress. How should I continue after this binge?Should I starve myself for two days to get ride of the extra pounds I probably gained? thanks

p.s at my highest weight I was 5'8 and 135 pounds, now I (was) 129 pounds before yesterday's binge. I'm trying to get back to 123, which is how much I weighed last June before the binges started.

Replies

• BrittanieGo
    BrittanieGo Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Those sound like reasonably healthy weights, if not underweight for your height. I would look for some help. Is there a reason you are trying to get to 123?
  • margaret235
    margaret235 Posts: 6 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    279to149 wrote: »
    Those sound like reasonably healthy weights, if not underweight for your height. I would look for some help. Is there a reason you are trying to get to 123?

I23 was what my body had stabilised at for years before the binging started up, it feels like the most comfortable weight for my body type.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    279to149 wrote: »

Yeah I agree.
    I'm 5"8 and the absolute lowest weight I'll go is 60kgs (132lbs)
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you really need to see a counselor and get a handle on a good healthy weight for your height. You are at risk of developing a serious eating disorder.
    Be kind to yourself. Love your marvelous body -and get professional advice.
  • JessDickman72
    JessDickman72 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    If you're not feeing yourself enough by trying to loose this weight your body eventually caves bc is NEEDS nutrience. I don't think you're doing your body any favors. I agree with the others. Talk to someone b
  • terbusha
    terbusha Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    I would not starve yourself. Simply get back on track and keep working. Don't punish yourself, that can just work up bad feelings. Get back to an appropriate diet and solid workouts. You'll get there.
  • Pootler74
    Pootler74 Posts: 223 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Don't starve yourself to recover from a binge. That usually leads to more bingeing.

I had a 5000 calorie binge about 10 days ago. I had the best of intentions, but... you know how it goes. Afterwards, I accepted the physical and emotional discomfort the binge caused. I tried not to be angry with myself, but see it as a leftover of a past behaviour that I don't need any more. I looked at how it happened. And resolved to tackle that particular situation in a different way next time. In fact, I'm deliberately putting myself in the same situation next week, so I can show myself that I can do better.

After that binge, I stuck to my usual deficit. (A sustainable deficit of just 300 - I'd rather lose slowly and easily than fast and with difficulty.) I worked really hard to stick to my calorie goal for the next 9 days, and I managed to have lost a pound when I weighed myself yesterday. But I was prepared to see no loss at all.

I've done a lot of work on this over the years. I think I'll always have slip ups, but they seem to be getting fewer and further between. Books by Geneen Roth (on compulsive eating) and Byron Katie (on changing the way you think about things) really helped a lot. As did big doses of self love and kindness.

You binged. It's ok. It happens. Learn from it. Start afresh. Tomorrow is always fresh with no mistakes in it yet. x
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    Based on what your OP, it took 3 months of consistent binging to gain 12 pounds, which works out to about 4 pounds a month. I know you're disappointed in yourself, but look at it from a math standpoint. How could you gain 2 pounds from 1 day of binging when it took a month of binging to gain 4? Shake it off and have a better day today. I ate close to 7,000 calories a few weeks ago and I'm down 4 pounds since then. You can do it.
  • reachingforarainbow
    Options
    While I see your frustration and wanting to be a certain weight, perhaps those extra pounds are what you need to stop binging. Though perhaps go back to the counselor that helped you the first time with binging if you are concerned. I don't you gained 2 pounds back to, so just realize the slip up, and continue on with what you were doing before the slip up
  • gabrielleelliott90
    gabrielleelliott90 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    123? For 5'8...I mean surely that is underweight, like way underweight. I'm 5'4 and that's in the healthy range for me..... When you're taller you can carry off quite easily a higher weight. I'd be maintaining if I were you. I mean I'm short and my goal is 126lb 9 stone..... I don't think I'd go any lower than 118lb which is 8 and a half stone.
  • gabrielleelliott90
    gabrielleelliott90 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    And also, please never starve yourself. Silly idea. Just forget about your binge, and maintain your weight, OP, I'm personally concerned for you. Binges, yeah happens to everyone, but wanting to starve yourself is another thing. I would literally just maintain your weight. You are thin enough.